? Food transition - PMPS 420 after skipping morning shot, what should I do next time?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bubby & Ash, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubby & Ash

Bubby & Ash New Member

Previous thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...90-too-late-to-give-shot.192907/#post-2154446

This morning Bubby had an AMPS far lower than I've ever seen (164 after being 300s and 400s regularly). We are transitioning from dry to canned food. After talking to the vet we opted to skip his shot. I don't know what to do tomorrow morning if the same thing happens. For now I guess we're sticking with 2.5 units tonight since he came back up to the 400s. So if tomorrow he is below 200 again, is skipping still the best plan? Or a reduced dose? I'd like to have an idea ahead of time this time instead of waking up and panicking again :(

Not sure if this should be a new thread or a question on the old one. Sorry if I chose the wrong way. And thanks to all who helped earlier today!

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Is anybody going to be home after the shot? The lowest number I see you've had is 118 on a human meter. I would say to give him the shot as long as he's over 150. Today at PMPS he's at 420.

3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Does the vet know you are using a human meter? They are so used to the BG#s on AT pet meters which sometimes causes confusion on dose advice.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there! Good job transitioning to all wet lower carb food. You are seeing the result of that with Bubby's numbers. Since you only recently have data on him it was a good call to skip the shot without more data. It is understandable that he went a lot higher from a skipped shot and him hitting a blue number for a pre shot number that is lower than his body is used to and so he bounced up into a higher number for his PM pre shot. .

Keep testing him as you make this transition as many cats can come down 100-150 points from eating a wet lower carb diet rather than the dry higher carb food, requiring for the dose to be lowered.

Good job mamma! ;)

5. Bubby & Ash

Bubby & Ash New Member

Yes, I will be home after the shot tomorrow. So anything over 150, I should try the full dose and then monitor like crazy? At what point do you break out the honey? I see in the SLGS protocol you can also give a reduced dose but I have no idea how much or at what point that makes sense to do. I should probably disclose that I have an anxiety disorder and this is all massively destabilizing and I feel like I'm always doing the wrong thing. I'm sorry if I'm going overboard.

The vet knows I'm using a human meter. But it was such a big change from the usual pre-shot numbers, and I think she could hear the utter panic in my voice.

Thank you all so much for your help. Truly.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  6. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

No worries! You're doing great! On a human meter, you would start to be worried when they get down to 50. Even if Bubby were to get that low, that doesn't mean he is hypoglycemic, it just means it could happen. You would probably want to feed him some high carb food or put honey on his gums. You reduce dose when they get below 90 on a test. You'd reduce by .25 units going forward. As far as shooting over 150 that is up to you. I would shoot anything over 90 personally, but it all in what you are comfortable with.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I would say since you have only been collecting regular data since around 2/27, you don't really have enough data on Bubby yet , and you just transitioned to all wet food, so I would say don't shoot anything under 150 for now as Sean said. As you gather more info on Bubby that number will go lower.

Try not to stress out to much. This Feline Diabetic dance causes all of us to have major anxiety. We are here to help you. If in question, post with a ? mark in your title so peeps will know that you need a question answered and someone will be able to help you. We have people from all over the world in different time zones to help out.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  8. Bubby & Ash

Bubby & Ash New Member

Ok, thanks very much, I will keep this all in mind. And I'll probably be back :). I was hoping for a nice, obvious, steady reduction in numbers during the transition, but Bubby had other ideas. He will be off dry food entirely in 2 days (March 23) and I am both terrified and eager to get to the other side of this transition.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.