Food transition

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dusty Bones, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Hate to beat a dead horse but... I haven’t seen this question or answer specifically. My cats Beni (civie) and Dusty (in remission) have been eating Fancy Feast since Dusty’s diagnosis and it’s causing Beni some food related allergy issues so I want to transition them to Merrick pates. My question is, should I transition them on one flavor at a time or can I transition them on several at once. They currently eat FF chicken, beef, salmon, and tuna flavors so is it a good idea to transition all the flavors by mixing both foods of similar flavor slowly or slould I just do one flavor at a time? I just started on chicken and so far so good. I had previously tried Instinct but that didn’t work out.

2. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

It depends on how picky Beni and Dusty are. When Coco transitioned to Merrick's pate, I took the slow approach and mixed it with her pricey vet food for about a week. But I probably didn't need to. She comes running when I open a can of Merrick's turkey or duck pate.
    If it were me, I'd try several flavors at once. Otherwise you could be transitioning for weeks.
    We tried Instinct too - Coco wasn't a fan so we went back to Merrick's.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Dusty Bones likes this.
  3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Thanks Coco's Mom. I thought maybe I sabotaged our Instinct transition by transitioning too many flavors at once. In reading the transition instructions on Merrick's web site it sounds like because their recipe is the same in all their foods with only the protein changing you would really only need to slowly transition them to one flavor and after that just introduce them to the other flavors with no digestive issues expected. I think I'll stick to chicken while transitioning just to be safe and at least until they get tired of it. They love a rotation of flavors every couple of days. Yesterday Dusty sniffed it and walked away but I sat with him and cuddled then he tasted it and loved it. Beni did the same and was a little slower to come around but he did eat some of it. Last night they both ate their normal amounts so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Apparently Petco will stop selling FF next year and will focus on all natural and healthy pet foods so I'm hoping this transition goes smoothly for better health and continued access to food at Petco.

4. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

For what it's worth, your transition plan sounds great. I just hope Dusty and Beni cooperate - LOL. Coco is a total diva, but at least she only wants turkey and duck. She can't stand fish or beef.
    I read about Petco's upcoming changes. Unless we are sampling new foods and I just need a couple cans, all her food/litter is on autoship from Chewy. It's just soooo much simpler for me.

Dusty Bones likes this.
  5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Well our transition failed... they seemed eager for Merrick all week and as I got close to 100% Merrick they jumped ship and would have nothing to do with it last night. They both threw up several times so I dropped back to FF and they’re all happy. I can see how frustrating it can be for some people trying to transition from dry to wet food. Oh well, s long as they’re happy!

6. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

A cat wants what a cat wants ... until she changes her mind! LOL

Dusty Bones likes this.
  7. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Sometimes it can take longer, upwards of a month - slow and steady wins the race. Like take their FF and add 1/4 Merrick for 1 week. Then add half for 1 week, the 3/4ths for a week, etc Maybe just need to do slower...?

If they're not allergic to the main protein ingredient, you can rotate flavors into the week slowly depending on which you know they like, etc?

Dusty Bones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.