Food

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    Questions about feeding. We have been doing the wet Nulu cans but I was thinking of switching as my cats aren't crazy about it and it's also expensive. I ran out of the Nulu today so gave my kitties FF pate classic but I think the FF pate may make his sugar go up? I will be going to Petsmart tomorrow to try a few more wet foods. I don't feed at set times or do set amounts, I just feed when hungry and they never finish the Nulu can so I leave it out and they eat when they need to. I'm assuming this is bad for my cats blood sugar but it will be a huge change for us to change to scheduled feedings with certain amounts. How do I know how much he needs? We're not regulated yet so I'm always worried about restricting food what if his blood sugar calls for more food to help him regulate. I'm also worried that the unorganized food situation is causing him to be unregulated. Does anyone have any suggestions for food I was going to try Tiki, Ziwi any others? What about Young Again dry food and treats? I heard these were good for diabetic cats even though it is dry food. They also recommend leaving the food out all day. I'm sure switching the food is bad for his regulation as well. I'm doing a curve tomorrow and most likely need to up his dose. I just feel like I'm at a loss regarding the best thing to do for him around food. I hope I can get him regulated soon. He's been high for about 2 or 3 weeks.

2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Lots of us feed our sugar rats FF classic pates! We mix those up with some of the lower carb roasted/chunky versions

Here is the indispensable food chart, which you can sort by various factors. You definitely will want to keep Nudi's carbs under 10%.
    http://catinfo.org/chart/index.php

Sudio3 likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I feed ff classic and Tiki cat after dark line and sometimes the tuna with pumpkin.

Sudio3 likes this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I used to feed Friskies to my cats...I've also done Wellness and now I've moved to homemade raw. As long as you're testing, you'll know if a new food causes BG to skyrocket and you can always go back if you need. :)

Sudio3 likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel eats Wellness pates. They're low carb (4 - 5%) but a bit $$.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Is Nudi overweight? It's okay to feed throughout the day as long as he's a healthy weight. You only need to feed a set amount if he's chubby :)

7. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thanks all! I appreciate it. It makes me feel better about giving just the FF pate. I may try the Wellness pate as well. Do you think it causes a problem with blood sugar if I keep switching their food, with all low carb food of course, while I'm trying different kinds?

8. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

ok he's 14.2 pounds now and that's down from 16. The diabetes made him lose some weight. It seems like he'll probably stay at 14.2. I think I'll just keep leaving the food out then. Thank you so much!

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That could depend on the cat. Teasel, while very sensitive to insulin, is not overly sensitive to carbs.

Sudio3 likes this.