? Foods for a geriatric pusscat with CKD stage II , high BP & diabetis.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PussCatPrince - GA, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

OK. Honestly . I have been reading all over the place and more. Just when I think I've got it I see some other info that seems to have a differential with what is best for my own cat.
    I'm in New Zealand. Today I saw for the first time ever Fancy Feast on a supermarket shelf. That is mentioned here I think. Is this OK for Ty please with his CKD , diabetes & high blood pressure? If so, I need to get back there and clear that shelf because here where I live , what is there one time may be gone forever the next. It is supply and demand of course.
    At the moment I am feeding the RoyalCanin renal wet pouches and have left off the dry Royal Canin. Yesterday I saw a Hills renal wet on a vet shelf - yes I have been cruising around to see what is available - and tried one of those which Ty ate. Mind you , at the moment he would eat a scabby donkey if it came his way. Heck. He tries to eat our pekin drake's treats. :eek:
    I've seen raw food diets . Cook the meat meant for humans diets. All sorts.
    I will do any of it provided Ty eats well and roundly. I shan't be hunting goats , rabbits or deer to do that.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's a spreadsheet of foods available in Australia and NZ

You want foods that are less than 10% carbs and under 300 in phosphorus (or use a phosphorus binder but it's usually not recommended until at least stage 3 CKD)

Fancy Feast Classics are OK on the carbs but are high in phosphorus

3. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. Fancy feast no good then.
    Most of all those listed I have never seen here.

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi I hope you can find some food that will take care of both issues, all renal diets I've seen are way to high in carbs and too low in protein, giving him low protein diet is not usually recomended until at least stage 3 CKD. We don't have many options where I live so I've started home cooking

5. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

my cat Tribby responded very well to a raw complete and home cooked diet. She has diabetes IBD and CKD.
    What I do is pick the most bothersome symptom (usually her IBD ) and pick a food that's good for that that is low in carbs. It's tough so I mainly feed raw or cooked meats and supplement with a low ingredient canned.
    Are you giving sub q fluids? Tribby gets lactated ringers 100ml every other day for her CKD and it has helped all 3 illnesses. It's not as hard as it sounds. At one point recently I had 2 cats and a bunny getting daily sub q fluids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.