foods for diabetic/CRF/IBD kitties

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ibdcat, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibdcat

ibdcat New Member

Hi, this is Lynda, and my Martha has several issues---now looking like diabetes on top of the rest. Nutrition-wise, she is presently doing well on Hills' Prescription Diet food---I/D and K/D dry cat(2)_steam -- and I/D and Z/D canned, also another she loves is IAms prescription Low Residue. It's important that I watch ingredients and esp. Phosphorus with these illnesses. BUT I'm learning I've got to start getting those CARBS down! I know the dry food is especially bad, but I have to feed this baby what she will eat. In honesty, I have been working to get her off dry food. It's slow coming. Martha is also a little fattie, (my bowling ball with legs!) so I'm working at getting the weight down too. She has tried the hills canned diabetic formula but doesn't care for it.
    Does anyone else have CRF/IBD/diabetic kitties? And what do you feed them?
    Blessings,
    Lynda, Martha, and Angel C.B.

2. Suzanne&Grey

Suzanne&Grey Member

I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'll explain what I did and why. Grey was initially a diabetic, at first on insulin and high carb food. I found this place and got her onto low carb per Janet & Binky's food charts, which got her off of insulin. Did this for a few years, then she was diagnosed with stage 4 CRF. I tried the Epakitin phosphorus binder, it didn't really help. Not that the other binders wouldn't, but her numbers were so bad we had to put her on K/D. CUN and creatinine went down, but glucose went up. I had to decide which condition to treat, and frankly, it was easier to give insulin and preserve what was left of her kidneys. Her values were still terrible, but they had improved. Then she finally went into end stage after a few months. In hindsight, I wish I had done K/D with insulin earlier. NOT that I am suggesting that you do that, just that my case was what it was. I think knowing more about your cat's CRF will help the more experienced here help you find your way. ;-)

Suzanne

3. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

Hobbs is diabetic and CKD. I can't help much with the IBD. :( He was on k/d wet and dry but the dry wasn't good for his diabetes and the wet was pricey. They wanted to put him on DM but that wasn't good for his CKD. He's also only Stage 1 CKD so he didn't really NEED to be on the k/d. So I switched him to EVO 95% Chicken & Turkey canned. He's only on wet now. It's done a lot of good for his diabetes, we're very close to having his OTJ party! Not sure about his phosphorous levels though, I guess we'll find out when I take him in for his next follow up.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.