Fortiflora

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Renee Ferrero, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renee Ferrero

Renee Ferrero New Member

anyone had any skin allergy reactions with Fortiflora? My kitty has been losing fur on her back leg and overgrooming constantly. My vet thinks it is psychogenic alopecia brought on by anxiety or boredom. She is also hyperthyroid and IBD. All of these conditions are being controlled but still the overgrooming and fur loss. She is on Purina EN gastric canned and Primal Freeze Dried Raw Duck and Turkey. Vet says not a food allergy since skin is not inflamed but just balding. Been reading up on Fortiflora causing skin issues in some cats. Any thoughts from anyone? Or a good recommendation on a diabetic friendly probiotic instead of Fortiflora?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Reason for edit: Added more detail
    lovemycat444 likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. (Please remove the 'GA'. That is used when a cat has died.) It's interesting that the vet says it is not a food allergy just because the skin is not inflamed. Willow lost hair due to being allergic to turkey. Her skin was never red, inflamed or anything like that. Her hair just starting thinning out really bad, mostly on her back legs and tail. Once she was changed to a food with no turkey in it, her hair grew back in, and she has never had hair loss issues again.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Fortiflora is not the best quality probiotics although I know some people that use it as a food topper to get their kitties to eat and enjoy it for that reason.
    It is made by Purina and they are sadly known for using poor quality ingredients. What are you giving it to your cat For? My cat has IBD so she gets a good quality human probiotic and s boulardii as well. Slippery elm is very useful for tummy or bowel issues.
    Cats are so unique it's hard to ever say this-always equals-that. If you are concerned about allergies trying a novel protein diet where you remove any suspected allergies for a time then introduce small amounts and watch for an allergy is the best way to go.

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

RIP Fortiflora :rb_icon:

Just kidding...

As far as it is concerned, as CassWTribby said, it is not a great probiotic. Many of us use human probiotics for our kitties. I do use fortiflora occasionally to get Bronx to eat since there is something in it that cats love, I call it kitty crack :joyful:. A little packet will last for days, or even a week since I only sprinkle a very small amount to get Bronx to the bowl. Never noticed any allergic affect, but that would not surprise me since the ingredients in it are questionable.

5. FurBabiesMama

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  6. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Well that’s sure not what I wanted to hear about the FortiFlora. :(:banghead:.

7. FurBabiesMama

Hey, a lot of people use that stuff without any problems, some even swear by it. Don't let this thread scare you if it is working for your baby!

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Now I’m worried that may be causing his itchy skin! Lol.... I am going to look into the Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics. We have a vet appointment tomorrow to address the itching and recent cough.

9. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Chicken can also cause skin allergies in some cats, have you changed his food recently?

Critter Mom and nmveasey like this.
  10. FurBabiesMama

OH! I forgot it was you with the itchy baby. :cat:

nmveasey likes this.
  11. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Recently switched the dry food to Dr. Elseys Chicken (of course) and Young Again Zero. He has had this issue for awhile...but has gotten worse over the past couple weeks.

Yes... that’s me. Lol....

12. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I don't know of fortiflora causing problems, but it's possible. Over grooming is also possible. Depending on where you live, having the heat on can cause dry skin and make it itch. And have you added any new cleaning products to the home?

As far as food is concerned, are these foods new to your cat's diet? Purina EN is mainly turkey and your raw is also turkey, so an allergy is possible.

Purina EN ingredients: Poultry by-products, liver, water sufficient for processing, turkey, rice, oat fiber, calcium gluconate, fish oil, artificial and natural flavors, guar gum, potassium chloride, salt, carrageenan, mono and dicalcium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide. A-2532

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

I don't mean to "like" this am just showing support! I'll wb to this later it sounds similar to my cat I hope I can help u with whatvmy cats been through wishing u and ur cat good health !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.