Found out about 2 weeks ago that my 13y cat "Sox" has diabetes.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lyd, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyd

Lyd New Member

I just found out that my 13y cat "Sox" has diabetes. Just like everyone here I'm sure there was some anxiety about this dx. Sox is not my only furry friend in the house I have Sox, Church 14y and Peaches about 12y. Sox came from a no kill shelter, Peaches adopted us and Church came from a pet store at the mall (before my husband knew better) Church was the runt of the litter and was sick when we brought him home. I honestly thought that he would have been the one that would have some issues. One BIG CAT (DOG Jake or bub) lol. I really feel like that's how the cats see him. He came into our lives well after our kitties.

The vet gave me a list of canned cat foods that were low in carbs, which is great but I'm wondering about FreshPet. I bought some for Church, Peaches and Jake and they love it but wasn't sure if it was ok for Sox.

I found that cat food manufactures aren't required to include the carb count on their product. I started looking for a formula that I can use. I found one for dog food and was wondering if I could use the same formula.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-carbohydrate-content/

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

See the information in the following to calculate carbs:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-cat-food-question.144316/

Welcome.
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugars http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Dog food will have insufficient taurine for a cat. It is better to have a product for cats, or to make your own.
    Cat Info, written by a vet, has a recipe for home made raw.

4. Lyd

Lyd New Member

I think you might have misunderstood what I was asking. I wouldn't give my kitty dog food, I was asking if the formula that they used I could use to figure the carbs in canned cat food or for freshpet.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Ah. Sorry. (Although I think I may have read of someone doing that and adding taurine and some other supplements)

This online calculator works well to get you the calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate, then you just divide the carbohydrate calories by the total calories and multiply by 100 for the percent of calories from carbohydrate.

6. Lyd

Lyd New Member

Thank you for the information. Sox is currently using ProZinc and bought the vial. Since it has only been 2 weeks we are still trying to get him leveled out. He goes back Thursday for a curve. I haven't started testing him at home yet but will in the future. I will be sure to use the information you have attached.

7. Lyd

Lyd New Member

Thank you I'll be sure to save this website. this will help a lot.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its an estimate, only, but better than no information.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Curves done at the vet are usuall ynot representative of at-home BGs since vet stress can elevate BG by 100 (USA) or more points. That is why it is better to do the curve at home.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

We put together a protocol for ProZinc that might be helpful. It's in blue in my signature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.