Found out about a month ago my Gabby is diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robbin Hood, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbin Hood

Robbin Hood New Member

Totally over whelmed and scared I will cause my dear almost 15 year old Gabby more harm than good intreating her. All her life she has been healthy, now this. We are still in the stages of adjusting her insulin to hopefully get her into remission. Had 2 eppisodes of Low Sugar that have me totally stressed out. Vet says these eposodes are to be expected. I work full time and I wprry about leaving her home alone. Help please,

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome. First I want to say that you are not going to harm Gabby by educating yourself and learning to keep her safe. The information and help is here. I suggest you create a signature so that members have information on Gabby, to make better recommendations. This is the link on how to do that: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Are you home testing? This is your best defense against harming Gabby with giving insulin, and hopefully getting her into remission. Hypoglycemic events are NOT to be expected, and are preventable. Many members work full time and successfully care for their diabetic cats. Please create your signature and then post your questions and concerns in the Main Forum, where there are more eyes to see and you can begin taking care of Gabby better. Link to the Main Forum here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

When you can, take the time to start learning more about Feline Diabetes , it may not all make sense or sink in at first, but keep reading and rereading. There is excellent information on the Home Page, and here is a link to a resource here in the forum area.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/
    Click on the yellow tag: Index, and scroll down for a list of information.

I know this seems like a lot, but my concerns are that you are adjusting insulin dosage and have had two hypoglycemic events, this is dangerous to Gabby and you can prevent that. We are here to help.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comments
    Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We have all been where you are right now wondering how this happened and how you're going to get through it. Your vet is wrong about one thing, nothing is to be expected with cats either healthy or not. Take a deep breath and have a good look through the entire site, thousands of members and a gold mine of information. Welcome to your new life. < That's Noah sitting in the fridge, we're all a bit nuts but we make good friends. :)

Idjit's mom likes this.
  4. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! This is all so overwhelming at first. Just hang in there. It really does get easier. You can do this!

I hope you will consider home testing Gabby. You can buy all the supplies you need for less than the cost of a vet visit. That can keep her safe from another hypoglycemic episode.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. Robbin Hood

Robbin Hood New Member

6. Robbin Hood

Robbin Hood New Member

I am not home testing yet, but I do have a kit on order. Presently I am taking Gabby to the vet twice a week to be tested and the Vet determines how much insulin she gets. I has been maybe a month since Vet discovered she is diabetic, and Vet thinks we caught it really early, so remission is very possible. Both of her low sugar episodes have been handled via my calling the Vet and doing what they told me to do. I would never, ever attempt to handle any of this without instructions from my Vet.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

How do you know Gabby went to low? Showing symptoms? What happens if she has symptoms and vet is closed? Will you know what to do? Should that happen get on this board and people here can help. You can also pick up a human meter until yours arrives. It doesn't matter what meter you have as long as you have one to check her.

8. Robbin Hood

Robbin Hood New Member

Gabby started acting drunk and meowed funny, couldn't walk hardly at all. Woke me up at 11 pm first time. Called the vet's answering service and the vet called me back. Over the course of 3 calls that night we got her straightened out. And the vet told me how much insulin to that point on starting the next morning. Same thing with a second time it happened the other night around 8:30 pm, called the vet and she got right back to me. This time I knew what to do, but called the vet to make sure this was to be expected and for another adjustment on the insulin. I don't do anything to my cat without calling the vet.

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

10. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Home testing is the only way to keep your baby safe, so I am glad to hear you have a meter coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.