four yr old cat Ozz with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beth83499, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth83499

Beth83499 New Member

Hello,my cat Ozz recently was going to get his teeth extracted from a severe mouth infection.

He also had an ear infection.

I just got a call late tonight from his vet announcing that he has diabetes.

I have no clue how to manage this.

I just wonder if his health issues will get better once his blood levels are level.

He currently lives with his brother .. Should he also be tested.

Thanks
    - Beth

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Beth and Ozz. I'm new here too and know it can be quite overwhelming, but not impossible. Simple things such as a change in food and close monitoring can make a big difference. Also, the infections may have a lot to do with his blood glucose levels. There are plenty people here that know way more than I do, and will be happy to help you. For now read and educate yourself, ask questions-they love questions here!

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Getting his glucose under control should help him return to his normal behavior.
    We recommend Levemir, ProZinc, Lantus, and BCP PZI insulins for cats as they are gentle in onset and wear off gradually. Other insulins are more harsh and often drop the glucose level abruptly and wear off abruptly, plus may require dosing every 8 hours to get good control.
    Home blood glucose testing is a safety issue. We suggest you test before every shot, before bed (so you know if he might be heading too low), and at least once a week, get some mid-cycle (between shot) tests to see how low the dose is taking him.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.