Freaking Out a Little (ok, a lot)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SuziB, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuziB

SuziB Member

Hello!

My name is Suzi and my cat, Clarise, was diagnosed last week. The more I read, the more freaked out I’m getting. Last night, as I was reading about hypo, I freaked out about how easily I could accidentally kill my little cat!

Reece is a 7-year-old, tiny (was 7lbs, but now down to 6), very skittish, little cat. I initially took her to the vet for constant diarrhea and frequent vomiting. They tested urine, blood and feces and came back with the diabetes diagnosis. My vet feels there may be something else wrong with her, as well, because of her digestive issues.

I’m just trying to get by doing what I can afford - physically, financially and emotionally - right now. So far, I have switched her food from IAMS dry to canned D/M as well as dry D/M ($60 a bag only to find out no one here recommends it! Ugh!), and am giving her 1 unit of vetsulin 2xs a day. She is also getting probiotics once a day and Metronidazole twice a day, mixed into the wet food. Happily, she loves the wet food. Sadly, she does NOT enjoy her shots! I would like to ditch the dry food, but am scared if I lower her carbs so much without glucose testing, she could become hypoglycemic as Dr. Lisa warned at catinfo.com. I would love to try to get Reece into remission (or get her down to 1 shot a day) by switching her diet, but how can I do that without glucose testing at home?? I’m afraid that she would NOT be cooperative and it would be extremely difficult to get blood from her. She is a sharp cat - sharp mind, sharp claws, sharp bones, sharp teeth - not at all the type to sit still while I poke and prod her!

I’m a single mom and I work full time and go to school full time. I just don’t know how much time, money and energy I can pour into this while I’m already stretched so thin. . I love my cat, and I believe diabetes shouldn’t be a death sentence for her, but I’m feeling overwhelmed and sad.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. If you have any question ask them in the Health forum.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I went through two bags of it in the beginning before I learned it wasn't very good. Good news is you can probably return it if you want, even if it's open because it's. Guaranteed. Just say your cat didnt like it. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. I feed fancy feast classic and Tiki cat after dark line. Learning to test is an excellent idea! It will also take a lot of stress away because instead of wondering if she's too low, or if the dose is too much or too little, you can simply test. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Sorry she isn't so keen on the shots. Many of us do the shot WHILE they are eating and they don't really even notice.

I PROMISE it all gets so much easier. I would start by trying desensitizing her to having her ears fiddled with... And give a low carb treat with each shot and each testing attempt. The first few weeks my cat was not happy with testing. I started giving a treat and she started happily joining me for tests. Now, after THOUSANDS of tests she really doesn't care at all. Testing literally takes less than a min each time. We can help. You aren't alone.

4. SuziB

SuziB Member

I watched your video! Thank you for answering my post and taking time to make videos and help all us newbies! I loved that CC just sat there while you fiddled with everything around her. Reece would have bolted as soon as I tried opening that bag near her! :D

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Start by giving a treat for just staying by you with the open it then. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.