Freaking Out!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenna, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Hello. I have a kitty that has been newly diagnosed with diabetes. I've had my kitty since she was born and abandoned by her mother almost 5 years ago. She has been sick multiply times and I've always found a way to treat her even on my very limited budget. But this new thing has me in tears! The numbers I got to correctly test for dosing and then to treat her every month are much more than I think I can manage. Please help! I will take any information and resources I can get. I love my kitty like one of my children, she sleeps by my head every night and never leaves my feet when I'm working around the house. She's the sweetest little 9 lbs all black baby I've ever met. Losing her would be the end of the world!!!! Hoping for some help. Thanks in advance

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Treating diabetes is very doable, mostly at home. We feed our cats wet low carb food. A vet explains why here: www.catinfo.org. We test at home. It's more accurate (less stressful than the vet's office) and much cheaper. We can teach you how and the supplies are very reasonable. If your cat's blood glucose levels are too high even with a food change, imsulin may be necessary. We suggest spending more money to get a mild, long lasting insulin like Lantus, Levemir or ProZinc. We do have ways to get them cheaper. There are cheaper insulins but they usually don't work as well and getting to remission can be much more difficult. Vetsulin (Canninsulin) or any of the N insulins including Humulin are less effective.

Let us know we can help. Ask lots of questions and do lots of reading.

3. The numbers I got to correctly test for dosing and then to treat her every month are much more than I think I can manage.

Just curious. What sort of numbers did they throw at you?

This was three years ago, so the price might be a little higher. But I figure that Bob cost me about between $2 and $3 per day for the three months he was on insulin.
    That was compounded PZI insulin, syringes, test strips (Relion Micro glucometer) and two cans of Fancy Feast. The big expense was the initial vet bills, but after that visit and three day stay at the clinic, the only other vet costs were routine check ups.

So, deep breath! You found a fantastic place full of helpful people. Try to formulate some questions, then pop over the Health forum and post them.

Oh, what's kitty's name?

4. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

please, please...take a breath ... do it again.....
    now don't you worry. we were all where you are now. every one of us. there are tons of resources to keep costs down & diabetes can be treated. don't worry. you can do it & we can help you

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What exactly did the vet mention?
    Insulin: Price per unit of insulin lets you compare them
    Lantus and Levemir do have high up front costs. If you get an Rx for 1 pen at a time, some places will fill them that way which breaks up the cost. ProZinc and BCP PZI have somewhat lower up front costs, and the latter has sample vials a vet can get.
    Food: over the counter low carb food is available - for example, Friskies pates are low carb and inexpensive. That's what I'm feeding the 16 I manage.
    Home testing: pet meters and test strips are pricey. You can use an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jenna, and welcome!

First up, you've found a great place to get help and advice and to learn how to care for your little ebony baby's needs as a diabetic. What's your little one's name? She sounds like an absolute honey, and she's blessed to have such a loving and caring mom! :)

Whereabouts are you located, Jenna? With the new forum software I can't find out whether you're in the States or elsewhere. If you let us know, then that will help us to point you in the right direction to get supplies as cheaply as possible.

It's very scary in the first while after diagnosis, but things do get much better as you learn more and develop a routine to help your little one. Promise. If anything, as you treat your little one's diabetes, it will bring you both even closer because she'll know how much you're doing to help her.

:bighug: for you, and scritches for your little one.

7. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

Welcome Jenna to FDMB!

You have come to the right place!

We've all been where you are so we're here to help.

If you have any specific questions, just go to the main Health forum and ask away.

Take a deeeeeeeep breath...you and your sugar kitty will get through this.

Kimmie

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jenna,

Just a note to ask how you're both doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.