Fred:BUN/Creat IMPROVED, but fluid lungs, 95 body temp

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martica and Fred, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

I have not posted about Fred lately because I've been posting mainly on the heart disease board since he's been having breathing issues. Fred is now 20y and 2m and has CRF, HCM and Db.

He had cardiac heart failure in Jan but fluid was aspirated and he was great all year--only on Plavix the whole year. But the past few weeks, his breathing starting getting wheezy, crackling, etc so I thought his fluid had returned to his lungs. So I had been giving him Lasix past few weeks, but finally I went to the vet. My new cardiologist--who replaced the one that moved--we spoke on the phone and she thought that because Fred was NOT breathing fast that it could be asthma/bronchitis, rather than fluid in lungs. So we went to vet today and did xrays and turns out it looks like there is fluid. Very cloudy and no pure black and one whole lobe very white (collapsed)

Oddly, his kidney values DRAMATICALLY improved since July (BUN dropped to 3 from 5--shocking, and CREAT dropped from 90 to 71--and this despite being on Lasix and basically being dehydrated), and not getting any subQ fluids since early Jan. The vet was very surprised.

Also, for those of you worried about food issues--ever since Fred was diag with CRF (early stages) 6 years ago, and Diabetes (5 years ago)...as of 5 years ago he's ONLY eaten low carb/no grain food (Wellness and Evo wet). When his CRF got worse last June, the vet got mad at me for refusing to put him on renal diet.

A few months ago I did put him on phosphorus binders (I switch between epichitan and alum hydroxide daily), and his Phos had risen but has been back down to 6 in July and 6.6 today. He was on subQ fluids from last June thru early Jan--but had to stop because of heart failure...so he's been on NO subQ fluids since Jan---and NOW inexplicably (he IS dehdryated--and he had been on Lasix for the past 2 weeks), his kidney values are better than they've been in 1 1/2 years...? Maybe they switched blood samples and I have another cat?! But for those of you that get the CRF diagnosis and worried that you should go on the renal diet--well Fred is living proof that our Db food is still fine--maybe better.

The bad news is that his body temperature today was 95 degrees and the vet said that it could mean he is dying--but that it would probably mean a peacful in your sleep death and it could happen in next 24-48h....does anyone know anything about low body temperature?

...but then again he said that he could last another year..(he's pulled thru heat stroke in June and cardiac heart failure in Jan so my guy could surprise us.)

Fred is very weak and sleepy, and his blood sugar shot up which also makes him weak. His breathing is not too bad and still very very slow. I went ahead and gave him a Lasix since his kidneys are better than expected.

the vet did give me the euthanasia lecture...although he said that he didn't think that Fred was in pain or suffering, but was old and very weak and feeling bad in general. He felt like his quality of life was bad, but some of his reasoning-he wears diapers, he can't walk well...well I don't buy that myself--our old parents wear diapers and use a wheelchair and get constipated, too, we don't kill them just for that. But he also said, did I want him to live in this state for another year--if he lasted that long...he has BARELY been purring the past week--however ODDLY--today when we got back from the very long 3 hour vet visit he purred LOUD. But now he lethargic again.

I'm going to be with him all weekend and talk to the new cardiologist (who replaced my one who mvoed) on Tues when she's back, unless she gets my voicemail and calls me before to see if it makes sense to do an echo. He's very very lethargic tonight, but he ate and drank, so go figure..but very tired/weak. Has moments of alertness (picks his head up, ears prick up, looks around, has a bite to eat that I bring up to him...but mostly very unresponsive sleepy.

Does anyone have any ideas, comments? What's the deal with the low body temp. Right now I have a heating pad on him. I'm not sure whether to spend more money on another echocardiogram, I did give him a lasix.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Just sending prayers that if it is his time to leave, Fred goes peacefully in his sleep. Have to admit though that low body temp is bothering me. Keep him warm and give him lots of kisses.

3. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Hi Hope
    Thank you, yes I'm kissing him nonstop pretty much. But what about the low body temp? What does it mean, I haven't found out a lot about it googling it. I have a heating pad on him and he feels warm, not sure if that means he's better or it's just external heating. I can't find my thermometer for some reason.

(the only thing I read was that it could be low thyroid--that was checked twice this year--no prob there)

Martica

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Martica, can you email the x-rays? Or are they actual films? I will PM you the address.

5. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

I found my thermometer and this morning Fred is 98.7 degrees F...and that's with some blankets and no heating pad. And he's eating voraciously. He purred a little, but I have a feeling whatever fluid in his lungs or whatever it is that he has makes his purring difficult--also harder to decipher because he has lung sounds. But I'm pretty sure I've gotten some purring. And he's eating up a storm this morning.

He is very weak still and don't think he's able to stand or walk really (his legs, all of them are a bit limp). Although he has reached out with his front paw to tap me--that's his signal to tell me he wants something--water, food or to get up.

So anyway, he's perky. I cancelled my whole day to be with hiim, not sure if I should do so tomorrow (I have a few hours in the morning where I have to be out). So difficult to say. Anyway, he seems much better my little guy, although maybe that's deceiving...he still has the underlying issues

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Marticia, Sending prayers for guidance and strength. I dont know about the temps I would be on here asking just like you.

Peace,
    jeanne

7. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

OK, well Fred had a pretty good day. The vet said yesterday that he could die in 24 hours...well it's been about 36 hours and what he chose to do instead was purr more than he has in a week and eat an entire can of Evo (5 oz) over the course of 12 hours...I took his body temp earlier and it was 98.7, stll low, did not take it tonight. He's in a diaper so I have to undiaper him and his paws felt not cold.

He's tucked into our bed right now looking peaceful so hopefully these are all good signs. He's still on Lasix, maybe that's helping the lung fluid..

8. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good thoughts to you both. He is lucky to have you in his life.

9. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

I just want to say you're doing a marvelous job keeping him comfortable and eating. I think that's a great sign that he wants to eat and rewards you with purrs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.