Fred has diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leesa4, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

My cat Fred who is 11 was newly diagnosed with diabetes. I'm nervous about taking care of him although Fred took care of me when I had cancer. He slept on my bed and nursed me back to health so now it's my turn. We are currently doing the 2 units daily of insulin until we have the glucose curve done. He is on Hills MD diet both canned and dry. I am so glad that this site is here and I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.....Lisa

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum, so glad you found us. The food you should be feeding Fred should be 10% carbs or less. I looked up Hill's MD and it is 14 and the dry is even more. Dry food is usually more except for a few of them. I am going to give you a link that we use for food organized by brands. A lot of us use Fancy Feast CLASSICS and 9lives PATES, and Wellness NO GRAIN. Just because the vet RX it does not mean it is a suitable food for our sugar cats unfortunately. So, please take a look at the chart.
    foodchart

So, having said that, if you change his food, which I hope you do, it is very necessary for you to home test him as a food change can cause up to 100 points lower. Keep in mind that your vet tested him and he was very stressed and the vet based his dose on that number. So I am also going to give you some links on how to home test . Here, we all home test. It is mandatory to understand how your kitty is reacting to the insulin and the dose. You will want to test before each shot and some additional test in between the 12 hour cycle. Another reason to home test is to keep your kitty safe. Find a place in your home where you will always perform the test and give lots of hugs before and after testing. There are many videos showing you how to test. Here is a picture of where you test on your kitty. http://s106.photobucket.com/user/chupie_2006/media/testingear/sweetspot.jpg.html

Here is another good link on Home Testing: http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-home-test.htm

There are many meters. There is a pet meter called the Alpha Trak2 and human meters. Some use the pet meter because it is what the vets use so the numbers will match up. The meter and strips are expensive though. Most use human meters that can be purchased at any pharmacy. It typically reads a little lower than the pet meter but we have ways of compensating it. Many use Walmart's brand, Relion Micro or Relion Prime, because it only needs a tiny drop of blood. The Prime testing strips are ½ the price of the Micro.

These are the two most important things right now. Please let us know if you need anymore help; we re here to help one another. When you get a chance, please give us some more information, what insulin and , dose.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Leesa4 and Sharon14 like this.
  3. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Thanks so much. I do not home test yet but I am going to buy one and thank you for the videos. Fred is on Lantus two units daily however I was told because of the new diet to reduce the dosage to one unit when he doesn't eat what they prescribed.....which is 1/4 can twice daily and 1/4 cup dry food twice daily. Fred never ate on demand like this and it is stressing me out. I don't want to give a dose to him unless he eats. The vet told me to force feed him the wet by mixing it with water if he doesn't eat. He is still playing and cuddling and I have been ok with giving the syringe. There is a lot to learn. Thank you again. I will ask about the foods.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Lisa and Fred! That's so sweet that Fred took care of you while you were sick and I'm so glad that you are now well and able to help him. As Bobbie says food can really make a difference. I tried the WD, and my cat didn't like it, so I switched to Fancy Feast Classics, and he gobbles it all up. Hope you do start testing him too. That is the best way to be sure he's responding to the insulin without going too low. Try not to get too stressed, it is difficult at first, but I'm sure you'll get the new routine down soon. Again welcome, ask all the questions you can, and we'd love to see a pic of Fred too.

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Another thought: you had said that Fred had never eaten on demand before, as long as you pull up his food 2 hours before you would test him pre-shots as to not have the food influence his numbers, it's okay. He will soon get used eating his food during those times. It is a learning curve for everyone. I have a civvie cat who likes to graze alllllll day and it causes me stress because my sugar cat, Bubba, would suck it all down if I didn't police the food. Also, keep in mind that the vets push these expensive and not low enough carb RX Foods because they get their feline nutrition from these companies. The RX foods are high in price and high in carbs and you can do better in the grocery store or pet stores. Use the chart I linked to a previous post.

Leesa4 and Sharon14 like this.
  6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB!

It's amazing how much our beloved kitties do for us, isn't it? Like your Fred helping you through cancer, my Squallie helped me through the darkest days of my grief when my husband died, never leaving my side.

Low carb (under 10%) canned foods are best for our diabetic kitties, as carbs raise their blood glucose. My guys were dry food junkies, and all-day grazers, to boot. By some miracle I managed to get them all changed over to regular meals 3x a day of canned/raw cat food! It took me a little over a month but it was definitely worth it. So stay strong, it is do-able! And don't be nervous about taking care of Fred, you're going to do great. I know it seems very overwhelming and intimidating at first, but you quickly adapt, and you're already off to a good start. :):):)

Leesa4, Sharon14 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  7. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Thank you for the wonderful replies. I have the tester kit and I'm going to use it today. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the glucose curve testing that will be done tomorrow for Fred? There is no risk in this is there?

8. Squalliesmom

There is usually no risk to having a glucose curve done at the vet's. It involves testing him every two hours to see how his BG reacts to the insulin. Are they keeping him overnight? Cats frequently experience "vet stress," and this can cause their numbers to be quite a bit higher than what you would see at home, and can pose a problem if his insulin dose is raised, so it's a good idea to be home testing! If your vet raises Fred's dose based on this curve please test him before you give insulin, it is really important to do this before every shot! Once you start home testing you can do curves at home, which are generally more accurate. :)

9. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

I was waiting for a reply and I'm so glad that you did. They said it's a 24 hr deal and after your comment I feel better about letting him go tomorrow......so thank you so much. I tested him tonight before the dose for the first time, and it was something that I don't think will be hard for us both. He didn't eat all that much this morning and I lessened the dose and it was reflected in the reading which was high. He is a very docile cat :) . He is a flame point Siamese, he almost looks pink with the coloring. I'll have to upload a picture when my son gives me my old computer back that he is fixing. I love Squallie's eyes. Thank you again so much.....you really don't know how much you've helped me tonight. I'll be able to sleep a little more soundly now......Lisa. By the way the insulin was 341 dollars, when you have time can you let me know if this is the norm.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Hey Leesa, I am going to give you a bunch of information. Some of it is a duplicate that has already been given to you but getting it and reading it over and over again is a good thing. This curve you will have done at the vet tomorrow, because you will be home testing, you will be able to perform the same curve yourself. So if your vet says they want you in for another curve, you can say that you can do it yourself because you are home testing. This will also save you money! When you get time, the next thing you will want to do is set up a spreadsheet to collect the test data. Anyway, good luck at the vet tomorrow. Here is the info.

Good Reading: This is a must read. It is an excellent 18 page informative document that covers feline health and nutrition. Don't take short cuts and read it all. www.catinfo.org Also read other postings and their spreadsheets. You will learn a lot more from others.

Home Testing: Here, we all home test. It is mandatory to understand how your kitty is reacting to the insulin and the dose. You will want to test before each shot and some additional test in between the 12 hour cycle. Another reason to home test is to keep your kitty safe. Find a place in your home where you will always perform the test and give lots of hugs before and after testing. There are many videos showing you how to test. Hometesting Links and TipsHere is a picture of where you test on your kitty. http://s106.photobucket.com/user/chupie_2006/media/testingear/sweetspot.jpg.html

Here is another good link on Home Testing:http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-home-test.htm

Meters: There are many meters. There is a pet meter called the Alpha Trak2 and human meters. Some use the pet meter because it is what the vets use so the numbers will match up. The meter and strips are expensive though. Most use human meters that can be purchased at any pharmacy. It typically reads a little lower than the pet meter but we have ways of compensating those lower numbers. Many use Walmart's brand, Relion Micro or Relion Confirm, because it only needs a tiny drop of blood. They cost around $15 and the strips are around 35 cents each.

Lancets: These are used to poke the ear to get blood. There are many different sizes (gauges). It is recommended when you are first starting out to use a 26-28 gauge. Also, it would be a good idea to pick up Neosporin WITH pain reliever to apply on the edge of the ears and don't forget to alternate ears.

Spreadsheets: Our spreadsheet instructions are here. If you look at the signatures of the members here, you will see a link to their kitty’s spreadsheets. We keep track of all our tests. This is basically a place to collect data and help you to determine patterns, doses, etc. It also aids those that may be helping you to better understand your kitty.

Food: There are many reasons why we are here but one is due to feeding dry cat food which is high in carbs. You will want to consider changing your food to wet, low carb food. It is recommended to feed food that is under 10% carbs. Here is a list of cat food to choose from food chartyou will note that the food with fish are lower in carbs however it is recommended that you only give fish once a week due to its mercury content. Many use Fancy Feast, 9 Lives, Friskies, etc. This list can also be found in www.catinfo.org If you are already giving insulin and you have not transitioned to wet, low carb cat food, be sure to test while you are transitioning. This is because by changing to low carb food, it could decrease your kitty’s number by 100 points or more. One last thing, many of us add water to the wet food so your kitty is getting plenty of water to flush out the toxins and to keep them hydrated.

Hypo Kit: Always good to be prepared for possible hypo events which means that your cat has reached dangerously low numbers. It can be fatal, hence, the importance of home testing and collecting data in a spreadsheet. In each of the Insulin Forums are stickie’s labeled Hypo Links. Here is one: How to Handle a Hypo. Please print and post on your refrigerator so everyone in your household is aware of hypo symptoms. You will want to create your hypo kit that would include and not limited to; extra testing strips, honey/karo/maple syrup, high carb food, medium carb food, vet information, etc.

Ketones: Diabetic cats are susceptible to diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). It is best to buy testing strips that will measure (if any) ketones in the urine. One brand is Ketostix which can be found at Walmart or any pharmacy. You will want to test periodically unless you continue to get high numbers, then it is suggested to test more frequently. Ketostix typically costs around $10.

Treats: It is always nice to have treats available for your kitty. Some use it after they have tested to reward. I like using Pure Bites. I have found it at Petsmart and other pet stores. It is freeze dried and the only ingredient is the meat i.e. chicken, duck, etc. If your cat likes it, then I would go to the dog section where it is cheaper than the cat package. It is bigger chunks but no problem in breaking it up. Another option is to use Bonita Flakes. There is a link here somewhere that has a list of low carb treats but I don't have it right now.

Injections: Most folks here use one of these main insulins; Lantus, Levemir and Prozinc. Two hours prior to your insulin shot, you will not want your kitty to eat. Then you will test and then feed. It is best for your kitty to eat a little before your shoot. I shoot while he is eating. The reason why you do not want your kitty to eat two hours prior to your test is because food elevates BG numbers. So you do not want to dose based on a food influenced number. Here is a link on how to give injections.http://www.felinediabetes.com/injections.htm

Note: Please check your insulins as there are some (the harsher ones like Humulin, Novolin, Vetsulin, etc.) that would be best to allow some time after your kitty has eaten before you shoot.

Leesa4 and Squalliesmom like this.
  11. Squalliesmom

Lisa, it is always better to err on the side of caution, so you did the right thing by lowering his dose if you were in doubt that he should have that much. Better to have high numbers for a day than to risk a hypo!

Fred sounds gorgeous! I would love to see a picture of him, hope you get your computer back soon! My Squallie is also very docile; he is a very good patient, lets me do just about anything to him. He doesn't like the tests and shots, but he always lets me do them without putting up a fight or giving me a hard time. He's a good boy and oh, so sweet.

What type of insulin are you using? I use Vetsulin, which is one of the cheaper ones, so I probably wouldn't know whether the price for yours was good or not, but undoubtedly someone else here will know.

Good luck with the curve tomorrow, and don't worry too much, he'll be fine And next time you can do it yourself at home, I'm sure Fred will thank you for that! :):):)

Lucy

12. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Hi Leesa Hi Fred!! Welcome!
    Would love to see a picture of sweet Fred! I know this is a very overwhelming time for you both! Believe me when I say, We have all been there and we totally understand.
    It's alot to learn, in such a short time..and when we are devoted to our kitties we have a sense of urgency added into the mix. We want to do everything for them possible!
    One thing that really helped me:: Read up here on the site about your insulin. I personally knew zip about the different types of insulin. For example, when my vet RXed the insulin TWICE daily...I didn't even know (or wasn't told) that it had to be given optimally every 12hrs.
    Do you know if your vet supports home testing? I hope he doesn't give you any grief about it at your visit today! Just be prepared in advance, with your facts and remain firm as you are Fred's best and only advocate.
    It sounds as if darling Fred is going to be a dream to test and dose-how wonderful is that?!
    Soon you will be armed with all kinds of good data on Fred's diabetes at your fingertips when you get your spreadsheet up and running, and you can offer this up to you vet as well as the members here, when asking for their input.
    Wishing you all the best today :bighug:
    -Brenda

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    There are some Secondary Monitoring Tools in my signature which you may find helpful while you work toward blood glucose testing.

14. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

We had a set back with Fred. He would not eat the other night and continued this for the morning of the curve. I had to rush him into the vet. I did not give him his insulin injection. He vomited twice. The vet gave him a cerenia injection fed him and then gave him his insulin. They said that he ate ok for them and that he was active but I picked him up and he has been to himself since he has been home. The vet office also failed to tell me that in order to do the curve he has to come in unfed and not to give him insulin that morning. I feel very frustrated that this wasn't told to me beforehand and I'm always getting mixed information.

15. Sharon14

I'm sorry Fred has been feeling poorly. I hope he feels better. I had the same problems with my vet, not being clear on things, and I wasted a lot of time just blindly following along. Keep reading here, and ask questions. If you educate yourself, then you'll know what to ask your vet and you'll understand the answers he gives.

16. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

which FF classics are alright?

17. Sharon14

I think most of the Classics are ok. I use Turkey & Giblets and Chicken with the occasional Salmon. Try not to use too much seafood ones.

18. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Thank you Fred has been on the MD Hills diet but won't eat it.

19. Sharon14

I tried the prescription diets too, Colin wouldn't eat them, but he loves the Fancy Feast. Hope Fred does too.

20. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

I haven't been on and I just wanted to update Fred's condition to the people that have been sending me posts and information. Fred never got any better after the curve and he wasn't able to eat on his own for a couple of days. I brought him back to the vet and his sugar level was at 600 and he had a very bad urinary tract infection. Fred is being treated for the infection but it's iffy if he will survive. If anyone cares to can you think some positive thoughts to help us get through this time. Thank you all again for your support. Lisa

21. Sharon14

I'm so sorry Fred is ill. Sending healing vibes and prayers for you both:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Leesa4 likes this.
  22. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Leesa - Fred will be in my prayers and hopefully he will be home with you very soon.

Leesa4 likes this.
  23. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I just read this thread and was so shocked to get to your post on Fred not doing well, Lessa. I am so very sorry - keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers - please keep us posted.
    lotsa big, big hugs to you

Leesa4 likes this.
  24. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Thank you for the thoughts I didn't sleep very well and I'm hoping that I hear good news when the vet opens. Thanks again for all your healing thoughts.

25. Bobbie And Bubba

Sending you healing vibes and vibes of comfort. It is so upsetting when our fur babies aren't doing well. Please keep us posted when you get any news.

Leesa4 likes this.
  26. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Fred is still at the vet and getting a bit stronger. He had a very serious urinary infection and I guess I'm still wondering just what happened. In 2014 he was rushed to an emergency clinic with this same problem and was prescribed a urinary diet. Then when the diabetes was diagnosed they prescribed a low carb diet and forgot about the urinary problem. Now we have to find a food that will balance out both issues. I've visited him as much as I could and he ate on his own each time I visited him. I want him to come home but I want them to be sure that he is ok before sending him home. I thank you all for sending healing thoughts and your advice. Thanks again....Lisa.

Sharon14 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  27. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Also insulin dosage was changed to 2 units in the a.m. and three units p.m.

28. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Lantus works best with the same dose every 12 hours. Your vets are treating it like ProZinc or Caninsulin, where there is no carryover between doses. It would be better to do 2.5 units am and pm.
    If he is prone to UTI, check out d-mannose, which some have found helpful in reducing infections. If he ever has interstitial cystitis (no infection found), some have found glucosamine supplements helpful.

29. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Hi Lisa - I am so glad you posted again as I was wondering how things turned out. Does he have urinary obstructions or primary urinary track infections? I was worried from your first post that he had DKA -

30. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

They had thought he had DKA but he is slowly coming around but can't come home yet. The vet took him off fluids to see how he does and yes BJM I am concerned about the dosage and will talk with him. I don't know a lot and it's confusing to ask questions and they are also telling me not to use the Relion meter because it's not accurate. Deep breaths and I miss my Fred.

31. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check my signature link on glucometers and reference values.
    A human glucometer can be a useful tool in managing diabetes in cats when you use the correct reference values. Also, the guidelines here all use human glucometer numbers.
    Both pet and human glucometers in the US are allowed to read +/- 20% from what a lab would read.
    Unless the vet is willing to buy your test strips at over $1 a strip, or your budget can afford $90 - $120/month to test only 3-4 times a day, I'd go with a human meter every time.
    {{hugs}}

32. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Hi Lisa How are things with Fred?

33. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

He is home and I am nervous it's the first night administering the 3 units instead of two. They also sent him home with a new food that he has been eating....its Royal Canin Urinary tract/Diabetes management. I am happy he is home and so is our other cat Bruiser.

34. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Lisa - I would recommend you start posting on the Lantus forum - people there can help you with dosage, issues, etc -this forum is usually just when cats are first diagnosed. Please post there and let those who are familiar with Lantus help you sort out the dose and the food/urinary issues. And I am so happy Fred is home - I've been worried about not hearing from you

35. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Thank you Carol

36. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Murphy is on Prozinc, but I will follow your posts on the Lantus forum - I have high hopes for you and Fred getting ahead of this
    good luck!!!

37. Bobbie And Bubba

So glad he is home Leesa! Fingers and Paws crossed for Fred.

38. Squalliesmom

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about all the troubles poor Fred has been going through! So glad he's home with you, now. Sending lots of happy thoughts and healing vines! Please keep us updated on his progress! {{{HUGS}}}

Lucy

39. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Fred has finally been eating on his own. I noticed that he's been sneezing a little so I'm going to take a look at his nose. I'm going to have to do the spreadsheet after I get my classroom lesson plan done tonight. I have not been able to give two doses of insulin as they said because the day or morning dose is two units and his morning readings are usually around 80-90. He had only scooted up to 153 yesterday late afternoon we had a visitor and he hid from my friend....then the reading went back down to 105 near dose time. But usually his night readings are around 105-115.He was a different cat this weekend waking me up each morning like he used to. He was playing yesterday and a bit today. The doctor said if his reading is 100 or under no insulin.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  40. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Post on the Lantus forum, Lisa. They can guide you through doses, etc I am so happy to hear how well he is doing - congratulations on being a good sugar cat mommy!

Leesa4 likes this.
  41. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Thanks for your help.

42. Squalliesmom

I'm so glad to hear he's doing well and getting better!!! :cat: :cat:

Leesa4 likes this.
  43. PAMELA ALLEN

PAMELA ALLEN Member

I'm right there with you Lisa! My cat, Max, was diagnosed last week, still just trying to get him regulated, he doesn't do very well at the vet. This is a great place!

Cindy Lou & George likes this.
  44. Cindy Lou & George

Cindy Lou & George Member

GOOD MORNING ...... HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!
    :coffee::coffee::cat::coffee::coffee:

45. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Hang in there Pamela. After a month Fred is regulated.....lost weight and is on his way home tomorrow. These people are amazing here and I am happy that I found them. I know you can do it. Good luck to you and Max.

Cindy Lou & George likes this.
  46. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Fred is in remission they think. It's been a week and half and his readings are normal and hasn't had insulin all of that time.

billysmom (GA) likes this.
  47. Cindy Lou & George

Cindy Lou & George Member

Good for you !!! :)

Leesa4 likes this.
  48. Squalliesmom

That's wonderful!!! :):):)

Leesa4 likes this.
  49. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

Hi I haven't been on in a while but Fred has not needed insulin still and seems to be doing fine. He has been waking me in the morning to feed him as he did before he became ill and is playing around the house. I have even walked him around the back yard .....he is an indoor cat but loves to nibble on the grass. I am hoping for the best. My other fur boy Bruiser is so glad that he is home and staying home. He lost weight on the low carb diet and he looks like a new/old kitty. I can't thank you enough.....anyone who replied to me for those scary moments when he and I were dealing with this alone. It was as if after reading your advice ....that you were all holding my hand with each insulin shot and reading I had to do. I don't know if I'll need your advice again if things change but I'm hoping it stays as stable as it is now. Thanks again. Lisa and Fred :)

50. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That's terrific!

Cindy Lou & George and Leesa4 like this.
  51. Squalliesmom

That's wonderful, congratulations!:):):)

Leesa4 likes this.
  52. Leesa4

Leesa4 Member

I haven't been online in awhile again but I wanted to let everyone know that Fred is still not needing insulin any longer. He has lost a little more weight which he needed to and his readings have been in normal range. I hope that everyone that responded to my never ending questions during our hard times is having good luck with their fur babies too. I can't thank you all enough for your support.

53. Squalliesmom

So glad to hear Fred is still OTJ and doing well! :) :) :)

54. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Great Report for Fred

55. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

We love good news @Leesa4 ! :cat:
    Well done to you and Fred; and long may his remission continue. :bighug:

Eliz

56. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Wow, in remission, huh? That's AWESOME! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status: