Fred is constipated...how long is OK not to poop?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martica and Fred, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

I have been meaning to do an update on Fred since the lung-cancer-turned-into-collapsed-lung plus heart disease/heart failure scare. I have been swamped but in short--the great news. Fred does not seem to have any lung cancer, but he was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiac myotpathy plus heart failure. The even better news, when we went back about one week later for a new Xray, part of his collapsed lung had re-inflated (due to no more fluids). The vet had told me the week before this was unlikely to happen---and it happened. Still hoping for the middle lobe which last week was still collapsed to poof up, too.

Fred is on 3 meds, actually 4, but I've been terrified to give him the 4rth, enalapril, because of his bad kidneys. I have been meaning tos ee a cardiologist. I did tell the vet that I had taken him off of it after 2 doses--and he told me to put him back on and it was a low dose and not too worry, althoug he also said that he was surprised that Fred had no problems after initially giving him hte drugs to go on. Fred has been doing generally great on the 3 meds and I hate to ruin/jinx things by throwing this in. although I'm also scared that I could be doing damage by not giving it to him. Anyway, that's another post.

The current conundrum is that Fred has not pooped in 3 or 4 days and the last ones were hard and small. The odd thing is that he has not been visibly trying to poop. I haven't seen him trying at all. He's eating, slightly less than he was say, 3 weeks ago, but pretty well. I mentioned this to the vet last week and he said it was probably the diuretic--the Lasix--and now he's no longer getting fluids for subQ because of the heart.

This makes sense and I have been making his Wellness into soup and I'm pretty sure he's getting around 100-150ml of water in his food each day. He's not drinking much on his own, but I think because he's getting the fluids. He's slightly dehydrated, but not terribly. However, he is def. not pooping.

The vet said to give him so Miralax. I got it about 3 or 4 days ago and he's been on it--roughly 1/4 tspoon twice a day. It seems to be doing absolutely nothing. Fred is also on the phosphorus binder EpiKitan which I think I read somewhere that it can cause constipation. I wonder if the drugs contribute to that too--including the cardizem which slows things down--so perhaps slows down the contractility of the intestines....

I'm now starting to give Fred some water in the mouth thru a syringe, just gave him around 20ml in the past few hours.
    I've also started to massage his lower tummy clockwise--he started purring very loudly when I did.

I guess I might go out and get some pumpkin.

But does anyone know what's up and should I be worried? When will this Miralax kick in? Does he need to go to the vet and have it scraped out? Someone told me it could get compacted. How would I know? He doesn't even seem to try to go.

I think he feels ok, he's laying around as usual--he's no spring kitten, but meowing, sleeping and purring and eating.

I'm feeling like I should go stick him in the hallway to walk a little bit (which is NOT advised, excess exercise for a heart kitty).

any suggestions?

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't have personal experience with constipation (actually quite the opposite), but from what I have read on this board, if the cat hasn't gone in a few days, this could be a serious problem and a vet visit is probably needed to check and help him poop.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You were right about your hunch of the cardizem causing constipation. Per a web search the first side effect is constipation. You seem to be doing all you can. First think tomorrow I would call your vet and ask how ling to wait for a poop before I should bring him in.

4. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Well, the good news, Fred pooped. Not the greatest of poop, but a poop nonetheless.

I went out to get him some pumpkin and came back to find a lone small poop on the floor. I then gave him some pumpkin and a little while later he got up to pee and poop. There were some teeny bits of poop, then finally a fairly good-sized one came out. I think there were more (there MUST be), and he was straining and then gave up. And then vomited, which is what often happens after pooping.

BUT he pooped, so hopefully the tummy massage, pumpkin, more water and miralax will all kick in and he'll produce the mother of all poops. Paws crossed.

thanks for listening.

5. Nancy and Buster

Nancy and Buster New Member

Buster was constipated for 3 days when I took him to the Emergency Vet. They had to tranquilize him and give him a couple enemas. He now gets 1/8 tsp (maybe just a smidge more) Miralax BID and half a can of water in his FF. It makes it pretty soupy, but he laps it up. He now goes daily, and it's not that soft, but he doesn't seem to strain either. If I have to do this for the rest of his life, it's okay with me. He's been OTJ for 7 months with BG numbers in the 60/70's, he also gets metamucil (1/2 tsp BID) and Cosequin. That ER vet bill was $1000, so I am happy to give him a little bit of meds a couple times a day. So far, so good. Good luck to you!

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like the crisis is passed. That's good. I'd still call the vet and ask about the meds. Maybe there is an alternative you could try?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.