? FreeStyle Lite Meter Battery

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LuanneP, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Hi guys,

I've only been using my FreeStyle Lite meter since Nov 21, 2017 and it was brand new. I think I need to buy a new battery already because I've noticed the little battery image appear sometimes when I'm taking a reading. Is it normal to have to replace the battery after less than 2 months? I know I test a lot but I thought the battery would last longer. And do I just buy a battery at Walmart? I'll go get one tomorrow so I have it on hand when this one kicks the bucket.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Maybe there's a problem with the battery contacts? Might be a bit of a duff meter. If you do get a replacement battery and the same problem occurs I'd be inclined to contact the retailer/manufacturer with a view to getting a replacement meter.

Mogs

Noah & me (GA) and LuanneP like this.
  3. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Thanks @Critter Mom . The little battery image doesn't come on each time but I'm worried now it's going to stop working so I'll buy a new one to have on hand just in case. I've done about 250 tests & in the manual it says the battery should last for about 500 tests.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A battery in a meter if the battery did not have a strip to remove from the battery contacts will "wear out" with out use when on the shelf. Also battery capacity is temperature dependent and thus you may only get the battery icon when cold/colder. I notice that with my meter these cold mornings (inside temp about 50F)

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I always have an extra one just in case it's needed.

Noah & me (GA) and LuanneP like this.
  6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Take the old battery with you when you get new one. I didn’t and got 3V not realizing there’s several types of 3V batteries. Got wrong ones.

7. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

When I went back to Walmart to get a battery yesterday the Pharmacist said if I call the company they will send a free battery, she said all makers of glucose meters send free batteries if you call them. So I called them & the guy I spoke to said they used to send free batteries but they no longer do that & haven't for several months.

The battery image has not been appearing on my meter so maybe it was just cold during the cold snap we just had (-38C with wind chill) as it was a bit cooler in the house. Either way, I went to Shoppers Drug Mart & asked the Pharmacist there for batteries so she showed me the right ones but she said most people just get a new meter because they're free anyway but I bought a pack of two batteries to have on hand because if the battery dies in the meter I might not always be able to run to the store to grab a new meter when I need it the most so at least I have batteries on hand.

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

They’re only free in Canada if you have a coupon and buy 100 strips.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've had an AC adapter melt into a power bar and a florescent light bulb almost burn the house down , counterfeit everything is a part of life. Counterfeit batteries made five years ago in China would be no surprise. Keep brand-name extras on hand and when in doubt... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.