Freestyle test strip review

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Well. I’ve just learned that these sons of b expensive strips will read about 30-50 points off if the blood sample is too “small”... what does that even mean?? Wouldn’t it just not “beep” if it didn’t get enough blood?
    I know those numbers don’t really matter when they are yellow and above or even blue but if I get a 45, then an 80 that’s going to mess her entire treatment up right?
    Since 45 will mean a reduction, but what if 80 was the true number?
    Sh*t, should I switch back to Relion? The entire reason I went back to Freestyle was because of the blood sample size and making it easier for me to get enough blood.. Is this how it is with all meters?
    Is that a “real thing” too? If the sample size is smaller it means smaller reading? I just can’t wrap my head around how they can be so expensive and not more intelligent! The sample size is .3- when I get a small drop out and the strips “sucks” it up, it beeps- then there are times I hit too much blood and it still only takes what it “needs”

Could it be because I get my strips from the international market on eBay

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them the question. I doubt that where you buy the strips has anything to do with it. People on the other side of the earth still use strips in their meter. As long as the boxes are sealed, it shouldn't be a problem.

Where did you find the information about the strips reading low and what was the date on the post/information?

With most meters, you get an error message if the sample isn't adequate.

Mimis mom likes this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

As long as you are using test strips made for your specific meter, the readings you are getting should be fine. It's when people try to use a test strip that isn't made for that meter where you could run into problems. For instance, some people use a different strip in the Alphatrak pet meter, one that was never meant to be used in that meter.

Arkray manufacturers the Relion brand of meters (and the test strips) for Wal-mart. The meter was simply given a different name to be sold exclusively at Wal-mart. There are some Arkray test strips that can be used in some of the relion meters. Depends on the meter.

4. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how much the Freestyle Lite costs but here in Canada, strips are super expensive (OTC ones). So I changed to OneDrop which you have to order online. It’s a subscription service and you can choose how many strips you want. Of course I chose unlimited. It has saved me immensely on cost.

However, the blood sample size is 0.5. But I haven’t noticed if a smaller blood sample gives me different readings. I do test again when Ming gives me a low number and they’re not too off.

5. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I've had the strip reading too low a number several times if there is a very small drop or the drop is slightly smeared. The meter beeps and still reads it. I did another test immediately and found a difference between 50-75 points higher. Rechecked again and the higher number was the accurate number.

This has happened to me about 4 times since the end of October 2019.

Here is a study I found indicating there may be problems with low volume of blood sample. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3876330/

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Mimis mom likes this.
  6. Mimis mom

Ya that’s what I thought - let me see who posted it

7. Mimis mom

I had Mimi on the Relion and I wasn’t content with trying to get .5 u of blood every single time (because it was harder than I expected to) so I went back to the freestyle. I get my strips on eBay from a source that has thousands of positive reviews- it’s 40$ for 100. Here they are insanely expensive- like 150$ for 100 strips!? Who do they think they are!??? They get you by selling the meter cheaply

8. Mimis mom

Oh wow ok!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.