freeze dried food/treats - related to vomiting?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura and Quincy, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

I noticed in a few different threads people noting their cat vomited after eating a freeze dried food or treats. Have others experienced this? Is this somewhat common? I ask in part because Quincy loves Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw, but I was a little nervous to give it to him after I read it may trigger some vomiting (which is something he already has a problem with).

Thought I'd create a topic about this so comments about this would all be in one place. I wonder what it is about freeze dried food that might irritate some kitties' GI tract?

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

my cats tend to swallow things whole, so I have to cut up the freeze dried food into smaller pieces usually

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Stella & Chewys made Baby vomit within minutes of eating - I hated it - because I paid good $$ & anxiously awaited UPS to bring them! But.. they did make her vomit. Halo & PureBites/PrimeBites do not make her vomit (chicken flavor)

4. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi Laura -

I'm pretty new here, so I don't recall seeing much about freeze-dried treats causing kitties to vomit.

I can just chime in with my experience. I give Porky the Halo Liv-a-Littles freeze-dried chicken treats, and he INHALES them - they are his favorite thing in the world. He has never vomited after eating them, either.

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I would start with a very small amount. Freeze dried treats and food swell as they rehydrate in the stomach. So, that might cause vomiting. I could also cause dehydration. I always rehydrate freeze dried food before feeding. For treats, I give only one or two small pieces at a time. I have noticed mine drink more after having dried treats.

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

agree with Karen...mine have done the same, so now they only get small pieces and with timing spaced out so they have time to actually taste them.
    I have come across liver flavour treats as causing tummy issues, so be careful with that flavour.

silly kitties, cat_pet_icon

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

My Webber had a vomiting episode last week after I gave him some freeze dried beef liver treats. They were originally treats for dogs and I don't think I made them small enough before I gave them to him. He vomited the pieces up whole. I think that he may have had some sort of allergy to the liver because he has never done that before. All my kitties love the Beefeaters Freeze Dried Salmon treats. They are really easy to break apart and pretty much disolve (sort of) in their mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.