Friday Five: Olympics

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

1. Do you like Summer Olympics or Winter Olympics better?
    2. What is your favorite Summer event? What about Winter?
    3. Which Olympic event would you love to compete in?
    4. If money were no object, would you attend the Games? What event would be a must-see in person?
    5. What event would you like to see be in the Olympics?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

summer

summer would probably be swimming maybe, oh wait, women's gymnastics are pretty good and so was rowing

winter.........i used to like the figure skating or some of the skiing but i'm just too thrilled with any of it anymore. they just aren't as good of athletes if you ask me. come on, men got medals in figure skating last night and they fell! it used to be if you fell you were automatically counted out. the drive and discipline doesn't seem to be there as much as it used to be.

volleyball!

4. If money were no object, would you attend the Games? What event would be a must-see in person?

probably not. if i've learned anything about going to events vs. staying at home and watching them on tv.....they are much better watched on tv. you know less about what's going on if you go to see them and you can't eat/drink/go potty/or sleep whenever you want :lol:

hmmmmmm.......auto racing :D

you forgot to ask which "sport" if you can call them that we dislike the most :D
    i'd probably go with weightlifting for summer and curling for winter

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Winter
    Summer - Diving, but also like Swimming & Gymnastics
    Winter - Moguls, Speed Skating & Ice Scating
    If I could skate without falling down, it would be ice scating.
    I doubt it. I think you can see more on TV and I don't really like the crowds.
    Baseball. (Is that already in?) Like Cindy, I'd get rid of curling. What kind of sport uses a broom? ohmygod_smile

4. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

1. Winter
    2. Marathon, hockey
    3. marathon
    4. wouldn't attend
    5. can't think of one

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

1. I enjoy them both, not for the sport aspect, but to see an athlete achieve their dream through hard work and sacrifice.

2. Summer--gymnastics; winter-snowboarding

3. Swimming

4. I would attend the games if they were abroad and I would go to see Shaun White compete in the half-pipe bc he defies gravity!!

5. Can't think of a sport I would like added; but think they should get rid of beer-gut guys sweeping ice and calling it a sport! (even though its the only 'sport' I could even think of trying in the shape I'm in:)

6. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I like them both, but summer gets the edge just because there are more events.
    Equestrian, figure skating
    Dressage
    no, TV coverage is better
    Fractious cat wrestling :razz: If they made it a sanctioned sport, maybe someone would develop some protective gear for it!

7. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

I just had to google dressage--didn't know it was called that 'til now--thanks karen, i learned something tonite!

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

YAY!!! I was hoping that would be this week's theme, I LOVE the Olympics (though I haven't been watching too much this year for some reason).

1. Summer

2. My favorites change each year. Latest have been sprinting type things - track, short-track speed skating, cross-country sprints. Oh, and high dive.

3. Ice skating or gymnastics if I got a magical infusion of some talent. :)

4. Definitely would attend in person (summer games... I can't stand cold weather!). Must see would be... EVERYTHING!!! :D

[ETA: looks like I won't have to fight the crowds on this one, LOL!!!! I like the idea of being in the excitement of actually BEING there, plus the one time I went to and enjoyed (besides baseball, which I always like seeing in person) a sport it was the U.S. Open Tennis. I skipped the finals, too crowded, but the smaller games were amazing, to see world-famous people up close and in normal-ish tennis courts, not the big stadium. So I like to think at the Olympics there is just so much going on that you could get a chance to watch stuff up close that they don't show on TV. Maybe not the big exciting finals, but I'd love to even watch some of those athletes just in their warm-ups!]

5. Hmmmm, can't think of anything, except I guess men's synchronized swimming now that Gator has mentioned it. :lol:

p.s. thanks Cindy for articulating that about ice skating - for years I was devoted to it, and for the past decade or so I've found I just don't even like watching it much but haven't known why - I think you hit the nail on the head

10. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Hi guys.. yep, I'm all caught up with Olympic fever.... (That and a few person things keeping me away from the forum)... anyway...

It's hard not to get into the spirit with so much energy in the city.

So, here's a pick of me and the Olympic flame cauldron. I'm on a platform near the flame... you can feel the heat from it. Lovely. It wasn't really cold enough for a big hat, but I was at the Winter Olympics and wanted to remember it that way. :p

The wait was only about 30 minutes - but I went by there today with a friend from out of the city and the wait today was over an hour.

[​IMG]

Retrokitty (my nickname on another forum) goes retro and cheers on Canada with a 1964 Canadian flag!

Did you know?

The Tyrolean city of Innsbruck was the host in 1964. Despite being a traditional winter sports resort, warm weather caused a lack of snow during the Games and the Austrian army was called in to bring snow and ice to the sport venues. Luge was first contested in these Olympics, although the sport received bad publicity when a competitor was killed in a pre-Olympic training run.

Freaky huh?

So... as for the Friday Five... which I've missed while I've been away...

I prefer the Winter Games.

Gymnastics
    Moguls and Speed Skating

Biathlon - I'm only halfway there. I've yet to be skiing.

No, I can't support the Games commercially but do support the athletes. Watching in the comfort of my home - or a nice warm pub with free flowing Guinness - is better than in the stands. Though I would have loved to have been at a few of the medal ceremonies.

Women's ski jumping.

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

great pic Vic!!! thanks for sharing! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.