Friday Five: Your city

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

If you feel comfortable, let us know the name of the city about which you're writing.

1. What brought you there?
    2. What is the thing you love most about it?
    3. What do you wish you could change about your town?
    4. What would it take to get you to move?
    5. Why should people visit your city?

2. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

1. What brought you there? national job search

2. What is the thing you love most about it? affordable real estate

3. What do you wish you could change about your town? improve public schools, economy, and racial attitudes

4. What would it take to get you to move? employment near (but not too near!) relatives

5. Why should people visit your city? current tourist draw for the area includes fishing, antebellum history, or to visit incarcerated friends/family.

Don't want to reveal my location, but if anyone wants to guess, pm me. I'm in Georgia.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Palisade, Colorado
    I was born about 20 miles away. I moved away during college, but came back when my parents got older.

Weather is usually good, lots of outdoor activities, and the small town atmosphere is nice. Population of about 3,000 - I probably know a few hundred.

Wish it had a couple more restaurants.

I would move if I could have a house on the beach anywhere. Here we have a house on the river.

Wineries, peaches, mountain biking, hiking, river rafting, skiing, fishing, hunting, .....

Come visit!

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

St. Louis, MO
    1. My best friend and her family (who are like my family) live here, and since Dave (my fiance) works from home and can live anywhere, we decided to try it out for awhile.
    2. My friends, both the ones I knew before and the ones I've made since moving here.
    3. Oh geez, I'm not sure this is fair. I really have no attachment to STL, so it's easy to think of things I don't like. The summers can be pretty miserable due to humidity, and also a lot of the people who live here are a little too....let's be kind and say "conservative" for my taste, and I don't just mean on the political spectrum.
    4. Well, that could be happening in a few months, unfortunately. It's complicated to explain but it's to do with Dave's job. Other than that, probably only if we won the lottery and I could buy a fabulous house in Hawaii. I am really really sick of moving (I have lived in 6 states in the last 10 years).
    5. Because it's in the middle of the country, and we have Provel cheese. That's all I've got. Oh plus you could meet me! ;-)

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

A same day answer for me, how refreshing!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Morgan Hill, CA

Combo of weather, wanting to be in this general area of CA, being under the naive impression that it would be easy to find a job here, and ultimately, it being the town with the RV parks.

Small-town feel near a big city - best of both worlds. And the gorgeous hills that are always in view.

Wish it were closer to the ocean/beach, and a teeny bit further south.

Job offer. Falling in love with another town. Not 100% sold on staying here, but so far everywhere I've thought of moving to doesn't outweigh staying.

Hmmm.... it's not a very compelling tourist attraction, lol.

6. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

I live in Morris, IL. Its a town of 14,000 50 miles sw of the city; we're the far, far southwest of chicagoland suburbs.

1. Its where I grew up. I moved to Chicago for college and stayed for several years after. Then moved back to partner with my parents in our restaraunt. We are celebrating our 25th year of the biz!

2. Seeing my family every day. They all live here; and while I was in the city, it would be weeks between visits. With traffic, it can take up to 2 hours to get to/from the city.; which would make it impossible to just 'stop by' like we do now. Plus, the crime rate is really low; I don't have to be 'on guard' as much around here.

3. Like Donna, I would say racial attitudes. Our town is predominately white, but every year becoming more diverse. There are those who don't appreciate the wonderful things that having different cultures in one's community can bring to life.

4. We plan on moving closer to the city in a couple years; Dh commutes an hour each way every day. But with the housing market being so poor right now, we have to wait a while to sell and not take a loss.

5. Two words: Corn Fest!! Its the only reason to come here....At the end of sept, our town becomes a giant party. Family friendly activities during the day; and a gigantic party with three stages of bands at night. Culminating with a 3 hour parade on sunday. Its kind of like a homecoming party, we usually end up hosting about 50 pple on sat afternoon for a pre-party before we go downtown. Last year we had t-shirts made, and we were the talk of the town, ha ha.

I was about to attatch a pic of some of us at the end of the night in our tshirts....until I realized that one of us, the ADA, is flying the bird. nailbite_smile

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1.about 30 years ago my best friend in NY moved here, a few months later I just joined her. I was young!

2. the weather, the village-like beach community feel. altho', it was better years ago before the money started moving in. it was more of a surfer, hippie, gay town...now it's got snob appeal.

3.the mansionization of the cute old bungalows as people buy them up.

4. not much, at this point i'd like to be near a lake rather than a beach, and not quite so touristy.

5.they should'nt!!!! the world is already here visiting! ahhh, the joys of living in a tourist destination.

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.