Friskies. Has Bone Pieces and I need info PLZ

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mister's Owner, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Ok, First

F.Y.I. Anyone who buys Friskies "Liver and Chicken Dinner" late
    I was wonder why my Diabetic Baby who has like 2 teeth left wasn't eating and I looked done and found 3 pieces of bone the size of half an M&M...further searching has smaller sharp shards all through this can. I already called Purina.

Now onto my other concern
    According to the 2017 food chart
    Friskies Pate "Liver and Chicken", and "Mixed Grill" has 5 carbs a can but after posting about bone pieces in food diabetics Help group on Facebook people made me aware of all the sites , apps with carb calculators for cats.
    All these calculators say 13.636
    carbs ?!

Is this accurate or is the 2017 chart?

Attached Files:

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

thinking that app is worthless.
    carbs is 3% on http://www.catnews.org/cat_food_calculator.php and on another calculator i double checked at.

someone else not too long ago mentioned the bone issue with poultry flavors i believe, 1/2 a m&m size bone is pretty bad!! After other person warned us here, i stopped feeding the poultry flavors after i ran out and had no bone issues with the ocean whitefish so they still get that and the salmon.

3. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Actually they told me any of them that have fish in the ingredients is where the bone comes from because it gets pulverized but it should not have been that big

4. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

It's the same at http://scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html, too. I think what's going on here is that the wet matter carbs are only 3%, but the dry matter carb content, which is a more accurate measure of the carbs that your cat consumes, is coming up at 13+% on all these sites. Personally, I would not feed it to my diabetic kitty; he is very carb-sensitive and this would be like giving him a carb feast!

Critter Mom and Sylvie like this.
  6. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

oops guess the app isn't worthless! squalliesmon is right, i found the link to the nutrition Liz Scheyder cal i use to use that gives both the wet & dry matter carbs amounts and it says 14% for dry matter carbs and 3% for wet. thankfully my diabetic cat doesn't like friskies but, your post sure made me see that i really do need to remember the dry matter carbs is what is important, guess using the convenient low carb food chart here kinda makes me forget!!

their reason kinda makes no sense to me, all the various friskies seafood flavors we rotate through has had no bones in them whatsoever. the mixed grill or the turkey & giblet (i forget which) was one where we did feel tiny hard/bone pieces in. weird.

7. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

My mixed grill is perfect but all the chicken liver I'm opening has bone and when it's small pieces there sharp.

So now I guess I can't trust the low carb food chart :(

8. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Do you know of any other wet cat foods that aren't 1.80 a can?
    Even the fancy feast classics is coming up high on that calculator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.