From Black to Green Same Day - Am I in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dodgingwrenches, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

Check Heart's SS. He's gone from one extreme to the other, and given how long it takes for Lantus to reach the nadir, I'm worried. He started the day black, and is now in the greens at +4. He's eating. Ate a few times today and an hour ago I gave him food from my emergency stash* and just now some more, plus a few temptations to try and prevent a crash and/or rebound.

Next steps? What should I do? Keep on feeding? Or do I risk shooting up his BG and ruining what could be a good thing happening?

*Emergency stash = few remaining cans of Petcetera's Tuna flavour. Pet Cetera went out of business here in Ottawa, and it's his absolute favourite food. Kept it for emergencies...

2. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

My panic aside (when it's too good to be true, it usually is comes to mind), Heart is having a great day behaviourally. Finally back to his old self a little, terrorizing my other male cat and exerting his dominance. And back to biting me (playfully) which he hasn't really done in a few months. This sickness made him much cuddlier, less bitey, and less dominant.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

How exciting for you and Heart!!! It's looking like Heart's found a dose that is pretty good!

When you said from black to green in 4hours, my first thought was what did you shoot?
    But your ss shows the Black as the amps and the green was not till the evening after a pmps of yellow. I would say that you are good with this dose of 3.5u.

You can see the reason now why people say HOLD a dose for at least 6 cycles, 6 shots. It took Heart till the 6th cycle to start to show the effects of this dose.

You can take the 911 off your first post as it does not look like any emergency; rather, it's more of a shock to all of a sudden get GOOD numbers and have a HAPPY Heart after so long of horrible numbers and a sad looking Heart. It feels pretty good, huh?

If you look around at some other people's ss, you will see that the greens they get are lower, closer to that 50 mark. I think there is a sticky that talks about low numbers; have a read and see if there is some helpful info there.
    Lantus&Levemir – Data Ready to Shoot Low Numbers

When our kitties are dx, it's often been some time and lots of those endearing habits they have, have sort of stopped and we don't realize it until they return. And when they return, well, that's when you know that you are on the right path and your kitty, your Heart, is on the road to better health.

Let's hope that Heart stays good on this dose.

4. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

Well the celebration was temporary. Back in the reds and pinks this morning. cat(2)_steam

We'll see how the day goes

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

the first few times that a diabetic kitty reaches greens (normal range numbers), they can bounce a bit because they aren't used to it -- don't despair

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

This is why this is a marathon and not a sprint. Patience is key and it's great your testing, so you can really see what's going on.

Also great that you are seeing some of the pre-FD Heart coming back, always a good sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.