Front leg tremors

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommaOfMuse, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Several times now I have noticed that one of Maxwell's front legs will tremble when he is standing still. It is always his right front leg. He otherwise seems to be completely healthy, he loves playing with his toys, will fling his catnip mousie around, he runs and jumps fine, and I just tested him and he tested at 64.

When I have noticed the front leg tremors is mostly when he first wakes up from a nap....although I have seen it happen while he is eating as well.

Do you think this is something that requires a vet visit? They don't seem to bother him at all and he will usually go right back to playing after it happens.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Is it the side he lies on? Could he be compressing a nerve a bit?

Are there any other neurologic symptoms you observe?

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Gosh Mel I dont know. I hope it's nothing but a quirky thing for Max.
    jeanne

4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Simba has tremors both in the front and back, but the front is due to brain damages from a severe hypo and the back is due to him falling bad when he couldn't jump and run good and hitting his spine.

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

See that is the problem, I don't have any real vet records or history on him other than he went through Hurricane Kartina. I'm not sure how long he was diabetic, if he was ever treated by his privious owner, because she is in a nursing home with dementia. I don't think she ever gave him insulin, but if she was or did, considering the reason he was given up..well...he could have hypoed.. I know he hasn't with me, he wasn't on insulin that long before going OTJ.

He does have a weird shaped skull, it has a raised point almost like a ridge down the center of his skull, that I have never felt on a cat before. So perhaps at some point he could have had a head trauma of some sort. He is an extreme gentleman, very well mannered, so I'm pretty sure he was a well loved kitten before the hurricane because someone took the time to train him well. He doesn't jump on counters, he doesn't try to claw the furniture etc.

Whatever is going on with him when it happens it is very quick but his leg shakes like he has just run a marathon. It is so quick that the first couple times it happened I wasn't even sure I actually saw it. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, because he will keep eating, or go right back to playing, or chasing around the house, leaping on the bed etc. And it only seems to be when he is standing still, or sitting. As far as I know it has only been the right leg, but then again last night is the first time I really noticed which leg it was, because he was right in front of me.

Mel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.