Front or back of ear for testing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blue and Freddies Mom, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hello,
    I just started home testing my two diabetics which has been going quite well. I've been pricking the ear from the inside, but was wondering if it also works from the outside?? It is sometimes that's a better angle if my cat is on my lap.
    Thanks!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Either one. Oliver had dark ears so we used the inside because it was easier to see the blood.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I always poked from inside ear (front to back). I guess you could poke outside ear (back to front), I think it just may be a bit more challenging.

Also, if you have issues seeing the vein and where to poke, try a flashlight. It was so useful when poking Maui.

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

I poke inside; DH does outside. I poke the right ear, he prefers the left. :lol:

It's a personal preference thing - do what's easiest and most comfortable for you.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

DH and I both poke from the outside - usually standing above / behind Tiggy. I support his ear with my finger - so sometimes I get poked too - just have to be careful not to mix the blood :lol:

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Oh wow! I didn't even think of testing on the outside. You are so right that it is easier when they are on your lap. Yay! You learn something new every day.

Thank you Blue and Freddies Mom for asking this question :thumbup

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I have always poked on the furry side (outside, I guess?) and never thought to poke from the inside. Interesting! :)

8. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I have always poked from the outside because cats are less frightened when coming at them from behind. They get more intimidated when your hands are in front of them....they tend to want to back up and away from what is coming at them.

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I have always poked from the outside, just easier for me to get the lancet device in place etc. I fold up a kleenex til it's about an inch or two square, and hold that on the inside of the edge of the ear to avoid finger pokes. (And it makes a handy way to staunch the bleeding right after).

10. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I sit on a LOW bench, lay him on his back between my knees, rub his ear a few times, blow at it which makes him shake his head, fold his ear over my finger. then

I always use a lancet pen with a CLEAR cap. I hold the pen over almost any spot on the inside of his ear, I wait a few seconds until it turns pink (which I can see through the clear cap), press the buttton, hold pressure on about 2 seconds while enough blood comes out., carefully lift the lancet pen, and then use the glucometer.
    This works like a charm 95% of the time. :thumbup

Hope this helps! cat_pet_icon

11. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

I too, poke the outside, because Checkers is always facing forward, and I'm behind him. It's easier to pet and scritch is head, while waiting the few seconds for numbers to come up.

12. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Are any of your cats black? I would like to try testing from the back of the ear but afraid that I won't be able to see the drop. Can you see it?

13. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If you are using a thin sheen of vaseline to help the blood bead up you should have no issues seeing the drop

14. Sarah and Buzz

Buzz is a tortie with black ears, and her brother is all black. He is a civvie but I have tested him once to make sure he wasn't diabetic too. ;) As Jen said, if you use Vaseline/Neosporin, seeing the drop is no problem. I had trouble seeing the capillaries at first, but I would use a flashlight shining from the inside to the outside to help me see. Once you get used to where to poke, you will not need a flashlight.

15. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Sarah and Jen. I am going to try this. dancing_cat

16. Blue and Freddies Mom

Thanks everyone, I guess either way works! Glad I asked the question. ;-)

17. Sarah and Buzz

I hope it works for you! Let us know. :)

18. Sarah and Buzz

We are, too. :) Ask away; that's what we're here for. Is home testing still going well for you?

19. Blue and Freddies Mom

Yes, it is still going well. One cat is super easy about it, the other gives me a little trouble but not too bad. One has actually lost weight (he needs to!) as I don't give him snacks anymore worrying about his blood sugar plummeting! I also recently took them off dry food so that's making a difference. thanks for your help!

20. Sarah and Buzz

I am glad to hear it's going well and that one of the kitties has lost weight. :) Keep up the good work.

21. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

The inside works best for me & Sweety. She has black fur. I didn't like the greasy look of the vaseline on her ears to keep it from absorbing in so fast, and she didn't like it either. On the inside I can see the drop very good against the white no problem. I play with her ears all the time and she does not mind it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.