frozen B-12 - still ok?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura and Quincy, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

I took my vial of B-12 out of the fridge to give Quincy his bi-weekly shot, and was dismayed to see it was partially frozen. Must have been in a colder part of the refrigerator. Enough was still liquid so I could give Quincy his shot, but I was wondering if the B-12 will be less potent or otherwise different because some of the solution froze. Thoughts?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Many drugs and other solutions separate when frozen and do not recombine when thawed. Thus, I would not use them if they froze. The unfrozen stuff you drew out of the vial may have been more concentrated than usual because it may have separated and the water froze first. Have you ever partially frozen soda and noted that the liquid portion was more concentrated? I have.

3. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I suspect Larry is right about that. To be safe, call a pharmacist, but I wouldn't use i t.

4. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

I thought it was supposed to be stored at room temperature. That's what my bottle says.

I would get a new bottle considering how far below recommended storage temp it got.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I was going to say room temp, I store mine in the kitchen cabinet.

6. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

My vet instructed me to store it in the refrigerator to extend its life given how large the bottle was and how little I use in a month.

7. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

I called my vet... he told me to pitch it as well and will order me another one. Now I am thinking I need to check on my Lantus as it was in the same corner of the fridge as well. Quincy's OTJ (knock wood!) but I have some extra cartridges in the fridge should I need them. I *know* if Lantus is frozen that it's no good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.