? frucosamine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by christine o, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christine o

christine o New Member

Hi

Have had results from frucosmine test and I'm not sure what they mean 230 big and also mentioned 340, feel as though I've a lot to learn. Urine test strip this morning showed no ketones and bg down from highest to next one, will be starting home testing with meter Asap. I had to work today and a friend fed Edna, she wasn't eating after her morning feed, so she gave her gourmet gold in gravy, which I've kept for emergencies. If she doesn't eat I would give her sheba fine flakes, she usuall has butchers classic. One hour ago she had thrive can. She is on caninsulin I unit twice a day, due next shot at 8.30 , I'm concerned that gourmet gold might make her unwell
    Christine

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

These numbers aren't that high. There's usually a verbal descriptor attached for level of BG control.

Great that ketones are negative. Don't pay much attention to the glucose result. Home testing of BG is much more reliable.

Good starting dose. Testing will tell you if it's a good dose or not. Please think about setting up the spreadsheet we use here to log all the BG data. There are people who will do it for you if needed.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A fructosamine test of either number (230 or 340) indicate he may not be diabetic, has gone into remission or is getting too much insulin

upload_2017-6-22_17-18-3.png

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Probably more info than you wanted to know...

Here's an interesting chart from the old Sugar Cats website (fructosamine test result number on the left, corresponding average BG number on the right). Fortunately, I saved the information in my notes because now the link is dead: http://www.sugarcats.com/infirmary/fructosamine.asp.

Depending on the lab performing the test:

based on normal fructosamine result = 250 - 400
    Fructosamine (left) --- average BG (right)

250 --- 120

300 --- 150

325 --- 180

350 --- 210

400 --- 240

450 --- 270

475 --- 300

500 --- 330

based on normal fructosamine result = 200 - 350
    Fructosamine (left) --- average BG (right)

200 --- 90

250 --- 120

288 --- 150

325 --- 180

363 --- 210

400 --- 240

438 --- 270

475 --- 300

513 --- 330

In cats, fructosamine tests will only tell you the average glucose over the past couple weeks. However, kitty *can* have a good result from a fructosamine test while actually being poorly regulated (from repeatedly dropping low and then bouncing high). Supplementing with glucose curves and/or random blood glucose tests at home will help the caregiver get a better picture of what's going on with kitty.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.