Fructosamine Lab Test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JeanW, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeanW

JeanW Member

What can you tell me about this lab test? I've gotten drastically different views about it from the several different vets I've seen the last few months?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Fructosamine tests give an idea of the average BG levels over the preceding 2-3 weeks. They give a number range and a very general assessment - good control, poor control, etc. They're not very useful if you home test regularly and collect data. Your spreadsheet is much more useful in assessing her level of control.

Many vets recommend the test because they either don't want their clients to test at home or they know the client won't do it. If you follow the FDMB way of tracking your kitty's BG levels the test isn't needed.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Kris. I know you didn’t ask about dosing but it doesn’t look to me like your cat is getting enough insulin and I don’t see any curves. Just thought I’d mention this but feel free to ignore.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Fructosamine tests are helpful in diagnosing diabetes, but once you are testing glucose regularly at home, they are not really necessary. I actually asked for one once because I wanted it as another indicator of how things were going with Mia. The result came back within normal range, and the vet was thrilled. On the other hand, I had a lot of testing data to show that while she was getting into good numbers pretty much every cycle, she was still spending too much time in higher numbers. Her pre-shot numbers were still much higher than I wanted. To me, it was very important for her to stay under the renal threshold as much of the time as possible so that her pancreas could heal... my goal has always been remission... vets are usually just happy with decent regulation. So, I changed her insulin in spite of the good fructosamine result. Her numbers are so much better now, and I have been able to steadily decrease her insulin dosage.

It really looks like your baby needs more insulin. You have not found the 'break through' dose yet. I don't know what good a fructosamine would do you at this point. You know she is staying too high. Do you want to pay for a test to confirm what you already know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.