? Frustrated...another pspm low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jeanne & Dottie, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hello all.

Well, I am not sure what to do. It's just before Dottie's 1:30 pm shot, and she's testing out at 143. If you look a her numbers today they are really good, but if I wait another 20 minutes she's going to have ANOTHER day where her shot is delayed by an hour. That seems to be a developing pattern.

Should I just let her coast, feed her a very low carb set of meals today, or what? I hate to see her climb back into those 300 numbers.

Addendum: Just placed this same post in the ProZinc forum. Not sure if that is where it should be placed anyhow. All help appreciated though.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I know I've seen a 13/11 schedule that has been successful for some on the Prozinc forums maybe search over there on that. That might work better for Dottie but I don't know anything other then it exists.

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I tried 13/11 for Squallie, it seemed to have a positive effect but for some reason I can never seem to stick to it, I guess I get the times muddled up in my head.

4. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

That's kind of the beauty of ProZinc, it's not as locked in on the injection times. When Goof was still on the juice (as he is now for some reason :() I worked some pretty crazy hours, there were MANY times his shot was 13/11 or 10/12. I did what I had to do. He went into remission on 5/29/15, and stayed there until recently when he developed a UTI. I don't know what's going on now, his am +3.5 was 350. :banghead:

Critter Mom and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  5. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

This is a few days later that I'm answering Mogmom...looks like this is what I have on my hands, MM. Dottie is consistantly high BG on one preshot, and is tonite, 1/26/16, low on the next. This time she was really low...at 50. I know you shouldn't feed at that number, but this is a scary number for me.

Is another possiblity for me to feed her a higher carb meal two hours before the preshot time where she is consistantly low? Enough so as to not risk a crash?

6. Mogmom and Goofus

No I, wouldn't feed her higher carb food, it'll only add to the complications. The more consistant you are with her food, the better. Goof was on only one shot per day for quite a while before he went into remission. I know they say ProZinc doesn't last more than 12 hours, but it did for Goof. He is the exception to so many rules...:rolleyes:

I'm looking at what you're feeding her, (Purina One) do you know the carb count in it? Are you allowing her to graze at all? That could be causing the higher number. I use the AlphaTrak meter, so I'm not sure what the 50 on he CVS meter means, but it sounds pretty low. It could be that Dottie's pancreas is trying to work, which is a good thing.;)

7. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

It's not so much the higher number that panics me..it's the serious drop at the end of thepm to am cycle. I think perhaps she's going to need a 13/11 cycle. Then I can feed her two hours before the 6am preshot, which would actually become the 7am preshot. That would take care of the sudden final plummet very nicely.

ok I gotta go to bed. I have an appointment with my anesthesiologist at 2pm..So I get about 4 hours sleep again tonight..erm, this morning.

Hugs all!:bighug:

8. Mogmom and Goofus

I believe many cats tend to go lower at night. Maybe its because they're nocturnal by nature
    and their metabolism might be faster at night thereby burning up the sugar? Just a guess...:cool:

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Jeanne Skadowski -

I don't know anything about PZI insulin but in general when there's a situation where one preshot test is too low I think the general approach is to adjust the dose to a level where it's possible to give insulin twice a day. Perhaps if you post in the Prozinc/PZI insulin support group for experienced members there to look at Dottie's spreadsheet they may be able to offer you some suggestions about dosing?

Hope your appointment goes OK, Jeanne. :bighug:

Mogs

10. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

I am dosing twice a day at .5 unit and yas this seems to be be a pretty common response.

The key may well be to shoot at 11 and 13 hours. Since I am coming in at a 6am preshot of 50 and a 6pm preshot that is above 250 if I stretch the am last hour to 13 hours, that let's me feed her at 5am, when she's on her downhill slide, and so head off the really low number. Then the pm shot goes in 11 hours later, and ends up back at 6pm when her number are high.

I had a dream last night. I was in a gigantic mall And couldn't find the way out. The whole place was a warren of doors passageways all snaking around. I finally found my way out. I think the mall was my difficulty with dotties blood sugar intend finding the right 'door' it means that I solved the problem.

I came up with the 13/11 solution last night before I went to sleep. (Ack, well, this morning before I went to sleep)

*Yawn* just have to get thru a medical visit this early afternoon and I can come home and crash, YAY!

11. Critter Mom

This movie scene goes through my head a lot when trying to help Saoirse given the impact her chronic pancreatitis has on treatment options (and awkward vetty beans) ...

Although my reaction is one of frustration and sadness rather than rage.

I truly feel for you, Jeanne. :bighug:

Mogs

12. Critter Mom

Actually, being truthful, awkward vetty beans make me very angry. :mad:

I'm human. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.