FRUSTRATION

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rescuemamaprays, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Choppers was very distant this morning and just stayed by his water bowl drinking all morning. Checked his blood and numbers have been HIGH today over 400. So I spent all day on the phone moving things around and trying to figure out how to get him his meds NOW. I was blessed to work around financial issues and to find a pharmacy willing to sell one pen as opposed to a pack. After my purchase I was informed that I need to purchase the pen needles/ syringes separately AND not only that but I need a separate RX for needles. Even the needles that come with the pens. I can't buy them anywhere in my county or near by counties without an RX. The vet is closed and Chopper really deserves to have his meds so he feels better. I don't want to let him suffer. This really sucks. Now I'm calling around to other vets HOPING someone will call in an Rx For at least pin needles so I don't have to wait until tomorrow.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

You do NOT need the special needles that are commonly used with the pens. If you are using Lantus or Levemir you use the U100 3/10ml/cc regular syringes with the 1/2 unit markings.

ETA: Some places also require Rx for syringes.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Mary Ann is totally correct!! Do NOT waste the time or money getting the special needles for the pens

Just buy plain 3/10ml U100 insulin syringes with half unit markings (you can get them at WalMart) Their Relion Brand 3/10ml, 3o or 31 gauge, 8mm insulin syringes all come with half unit markings and are only $12.58 for a box of 100

Depending on where you live, you may need a script for syringes of any kind...but some places will also let you buy 10 without a script to get by with until you can get one. You can call any pharmacy and ask what the rules are in your area

You just pull the cap off the pen and insert a normal insulin syringe into the rubber stopper and draw the insulin out of the pen
    syringe in pen pic.jpg syringe in pen close up.jpg

4. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Every pharmacy in the tri county area will require an RX for either. As required by law. It'll be a statewide law within the next few months.

5. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Can anyone send you a few syringes?

6. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

I will be able to have Vet Stupid Face Call in the RX for the pen needles (he won't support using syringes) tommorow first thing. Im just frustrated beyond belief that the vet isn't aware of county laws requiring an Rx for needles.

7. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

At least I'm getting cuddles from my furry boy right now. I think he knows mama has been running around all day for him.

Critter Mom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Don't bother....the reason we don't use the special needles for the pens is because if you do, you can only give whole unit doses....that's how the pens are designed...You can only go from 1 unit to 2 units to 3 units, etc.....there's no way to do .5 unit or .25/.75 unit doses with the pen needles

With cats that require tiny changes in doses of .25 units, you can't do those with the pen needles. Maybe take the pen in and show your vet how you CAN use a regular syringe? Or maybe send him the pictures above?

I don't know if you can buy them online without a script or not but it might be worth a try. Of course that doesn't get them to you today :(

All these have half unit markings and are the correct syringes for U100 insulin and are available from ADW online:
    UtiCare
    Monoject
    Carepoint
    Sure Comfort
    BD Ultra-Fine

Rescuemamaprays likes this.
  9. Tuxedo Mom

Since I am in Canada I am not well versed on the different state requirements for Rx for syringes. But as Chris said some states will sell a pack of 10 without an Rx...not sure what the rules are in your state?

10. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

I have called three pharmacies including the one where I filled the RX for Insulin and their hands are tied. I even called 24 hour vets near me and they won't sell not even one to me without seeing Chopper first (after hours fee). He should be okay for tonight, right? I'm going to check him again in a few minutes and hope his numbers are down. Is there anything specific I should be looking for, aside from his sugar levels? His sugar is still lower than what it was when he was diagnosed.

11. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

pen needles are more expensive then the u100 syringes. the pharmacy quoted me like 43.00 for pen needles and i only asked because i was curious when i was buying the other one. did you try calling walmart pharmacy? This place is located in florida and they sell the u 100 syringes http://www.adwdiabetes.com/catalog/pet-insulin-syringes_179.htm
    he should be ok until morning but its never a guarantee. did you tell the vet places you called that you have the prescription for insulin already you just need syringe prescription?

12. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Yes I told them exactly this, he's not their patient, not their problem. Walmart in this county cannot legally sell me not even one syringe. Even if I show medical documentation. Not without a specific RX for syringes. This law is not in every county in FL according the CVS pharmacy but it is in effect in all near by counties and will be statewide within a few months.

Major major drug issues around here... I've seen syringes on the PLAYGROUND of a near by park. I'm sure those people didn't have an RX. But I can't get one for my cat lol

13. Tuxedo Mom

I can feel your frustration. Your vet should give you a prescription for the U100 syringes, even if that is not how they are used to doing it with the pens. If you explain that the pens can only do dose changes in 1 unit increments and that may be too much of an increase at once, they should understand that you know what you are talking about. The pens are nothing more than mini vials. Hopefully tomorrow your vet will give you the Rx for the syringes. :bighug:

14. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

He better the pharmacist said an RX for at least the pen needles should've been automatic . In the meantime. I'm going to TRY to get this spreadsheet business handled. I'll need all the help I can get once Chopper starts insulin. This vet is obviously not all there.

15. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Looks like it's perfectly legal for me to order them from diabetic supply as long as I can show my cat is diabetic. So that's good news.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Tuxedo Mom

It makes no sense for your vet to give an Rx for the insulin but not even for the pen needles..like DUH!! If all you can get for the time being is the pen needles the pen you use will have to be left at room temperature in order for the measuring device in the pen to work properly. This means that the insulin pen will only last about 28 days (Lantus) or 40 days (Levemir) at room temperature before it could start to lose its effectiveness. The unopened pens would be kept in the fridge. When using regular syringes the opened pen can be kept in the fridge and will last much longer than at room temperature. I really hope your vet gives you the Rx for regular syringes.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

What???? Ohhh he better write it. I went through heck to get these meds and there's no way I'm throwing them in the garbage

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Tuxedo Mom

It would make no sense at all to prescribe insulin and not give you the prescription for the needles or even better the syringes. Without the pen needles or syringes the insulin cannot be used. He probably didn't know that the needles needed a separate Rx.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Supply Closet? I believe there are some syringes for sale there. Don't know how quickly you'd get them, though, but might be worth a look just the same.

Critter Mom and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  20. Tuxedo Mom

Excellent suggestion

There is one post for free U100 syringes. They have no 1/2 unit markings but better than nothing:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/free-syringes.155561/

21. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I searched FL laws and couldn't find anything illegal about recieving free syringes or possessing them for legal purposes. Such as a diabetic cat. I would still like to get the RX just in case. Chopper is feeling better tonight. Not sure what caused that spike earlier. I'll update after speaking with vet tomorrow. What a long day my goodness.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  22. Chris & China (GA)

There's no law against possessing insulin syringes at all...unless you get pulled over or searched and they find something "illegal" inside the syringe or on you.

The reason for the strict laws just has to do with trying to keep all the syringes out of the hands of drug abusers (although I don't agree with it....seems like they've already got a big enough problem abusing or being addicted to drugs....they don't need hepatitis or HIV on top of it....but that's another discussion)

23. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Chris & China - I'm on the same page as you viz-a-viz the syringe laws.

Mogs

24. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Off to the pharmacy to pick up syringes. After a thirty minute lecture from the vet about how he won't recommend it yada yada yada. Geez.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  25. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am in Florida and I never had to have a prescription for syringes. Where in Florida are you located? I am in Jacksonville.

26. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

I sent a PM. :)

27. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You will have to befriend a druggie. They know how to get them for free. My word most clinics give them out for free to prevent cross contamination of re-using them and sharing. Yet even with legitimate proof you can't get them. What has this world come to. They cater to druggies but not pets.

Critter Mom and Rescuemamaprays like this.
  28. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time to think about interviewing a new vet, lol!

29. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

I agree completely.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  30. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Oh I'm one step ahead. Lol. I just need one close enough for me to access easily. I don't drive. :-(

Squalliesmom likes this.
  31. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

@Rescuemamaprays, did you get your syringes ok? I still have bags of u100 syringes in my cupboard that we didn't get through when Bandit was on insulin that I've been only using for his monthly B12 injections. I wish I had known about your issues--I would have thrown a bag in with the ketostix!

What sort of reasons did your vet give you for using the syringes? Did you show him the diagram Chris posted up above? I just find it completely unreasonable that your vet would waste the time lecturing you about the situation rather than taking the time to research and understand that in cats, who need their insulin to be adjusted in .25u-.5u increments, the pen needles shouldn't be used because they can only be adjusted by 1u increments.

I appreciate Bandit's vet more and more everytime I read through threads on this board. When I asked for the script for Bandit's Lantus pens last year, he said that he was ok with writing the script for the pens, but immediately told me we weren't going to use the pen needles and he was giving me a script for the u100 syringes instead because cats needed much finer dosing than the pen needles allowed. Just like that, matter of fact, didn't even offer the option for the pen needles. And he was relieved when I said I knew that already, that I just wanted a script for the pens because it was more economical to buy them that way. It turns out that usually when people ask him for a script for the pens over the vial, it's not to save money, but rather they're looking for a way to dispense the insulin without having to use a syringe.

Rescuemamaprays and Critter Mom like this.
  32. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

He's an idiot.

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

My goodness!! I have the syringes. Finally. Now I'm off to watch YouTube videos to show me how to inject properly as I've never seen this done. Any advice? Should I shoot him now or wait til evening?

Critter Mom likes this.
  34. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

What should I do if I accidentally inject insulin in to myself? I'm very clumsy. Lol

35. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

This whole diabetes thing is really taking its toll on me. After getting home and opening the bag I see that the vet called in pen needles instead of syringes. After he agreed to call in syringes. What should I do? Definitely NEVER call this vet again. If I use them is half of this Lantus going to go to waste? Idk what to do...

36. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

This is what they gave me.

Attached Files:

37. Chris & China (GA)

You need to decide on a schedule that will work for you. It's important that shots are as close to every 12 hours as possible, so being this late in the day, I'd suggest waiting until this evening.

We give such tiny doses to our cats....humans start out in the 20-30 unit per shot range and can go much higher....if you happen to do it, just have a candy bar around the house....but you probably won't need it

Nope, those are the pen needles...I'd call the pharmacy back and talk to the pharmacist....explain to him/her why you need regular insulin syringes and ask if you can get them now since you at least have the script for the pen needles....if he says you need another script, ask him/her to contact your vet and explain why you can't use the pen needles....maybe you get get through to the pharmacist why you need regular syringes and he can get it through to your idiot vet

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

I really appreciate all of the advice you all have given me but this is too much. I'm over $100 in the hole buying insulin and needles while all of my bills are due at the same time. I've been calling rescues and .orgs since his diagnosis trying to find the best way to help my kitty get better. They dont bother to return calls. I think this is too many barriers for me. Especially in my area where obviously everyone buying needles or syringes is looked upon as a drug dealer or user. I can't return the pen needles and I can't afford to buy syringes now even if the pharmacy agrees or the vet changes the RX. Chopper was diagnosed on 03/10 and STILL hasn't been given proper medication. He deserves better than this.

I really give props to those of you who have given so much of your time and funds to take care of your cats. I doubt I'm cut out for all of this.

I'm going to start chopper on his 2 units of insulin this evening using the pen needles and start looking for a suitable home for him so hopefully he can be placed before the insulin goes bad in 28 days.

I have to do what's best for my baby.

39. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Don't give up yet. Even though it does not seem like it at the moment, it does get easier.

Also, the insulin is good for longer than 28 days. You can usually use it for about 3 months or so. At 2 units, you should have enough insulin in each pen for about 2 1/2 months. That is why we recommend the pens over the vials. With a vial, the insulin will become ineffective long before you will use it all. The "28 days expiration" is for human use since it is FDA regulated.

Critter Mom likes this.
  40. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Why wouldn't the pharmacy take the needles back if they were unopened? I've had the pharmacy give me the wrong syringes before (without half unit markings) and they took them back and replaced them with the right ones. Did you open up any of them?

Syringes are inexpensive--I think they're less than $15 at Walmart for a month's supply. Don't give up--call your idiot vet back and tell him he called in the wrong script and you need a written script with refills that specifically says "3/10mL Syringe, 31G x 8mm (5/16") with Half-Unit Scale". That's all you need. Read the script carefully before you leave the office with it and make sure it is correct.

How much does Chopper weigh? Is he overweight or underweight? The starting dose for Lantus is .25u per kg of ideal weight. 2u is a lot of insulin, and usually only large framed cats like Maine Coons start that high.

When Bandit was diagnosed back in 2009, I was super overwhelmed and frustrated because I was really poor, I was working two jobs (a full time job with a two hour commute and a part time job on weekends and some weeknights to pay for his insulin), and going to grad school at the time. I sorted it out, and you will too. I would take a deep breath and start by getting the logistics of treatment sorted out--you're almost there! Using the pen needles isn't ideal, but you can at least start with them. If I were to mail you a week's worth of syringes, could you save up the $15 to get the month's supply at Walmart when you get the correct script from your vet? Or can you find a cheap place where you can order them online?

Critter Mom likes this.
  41. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

When I bought the meter and supplies at walmart they all came up as nonreturnable as each one was rung through. I think it is there policy?

42. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Don't blame the vet. They really don't know any better. I was given pen needles with my lantus pen from the vet. When I asked about using a different type of syringe he looked at me like i was from another planet.

43. Chris & China (GA)

$12.58 for a box of 100 (plus tax)

44. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Thanks guys. I went for a swim to clear my mind. The vet is an ass. He knew what he was doing. And it was intentional. The pharmacy charges $44 for pen needles. And when I called and got the price ahead of time (to be sure I wasn't embarrassed with too little cash) they told me 44 and I said its far too expensive!! So they agreed to split a box in half. Without telling me they are needles, not syringes. So I paid a little over 20 for needles and when I got home and opened them they were in long pill bottles, not a box. This is what the vet called in. I had a LONG conversation with vet. And he said "okay, I'll call in syringes." This was surely intentional. There's a few very cheap supply stores where I can buy syringes and I'm sure I won't have THIS many issues going forward. But just the cost of seeing a new vet will be too much. I'm overwhelmed and frustrated beyond belief that there's so many hurdles. Maybe I need to toughen up. Lol

45. Critter Mom

In this instance it is completely and utterly appropriate to blame the vet. Ref the following:

[Emphasis mine]

After a lengthy debate the vet agreed to provide the syringes. He either reneged or didn't pay enough attention when issuing the actual Rx. Unprofessional and inexcusable behaviour, in my considered opinion.

Mogs

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  46. Critter Mom

Not toughen up; just breathe. :bighug:

You're overwhelmed, anxious for your beloved boy and not getting proper veterinary support at the moment - a recipe for panic (doubly so when financial worries are in the mix - been there; it's not great :bighug:). The feeling will pass and things will get better - in spite of your vet. He is a plonker of the highest order.

Mogs

47. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Chopper is 9 pounds/ underweight, he was previously much heavier and I can feel his spine/ ribs, etc. Should I start him at 2units or less? 2 is what the vet recommended.

48. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Thanks mogs. I'm trying here. Just feel like I'm failing my little guy. These barriers wouldn't exist if I could afford proper vet care and had access to other vets who are further away. This one is walking distance and sort of cheap. You get what you pay for...

49. Critter Mom

I think all of us feel like we're failing our little ones at times: we just want them to be well and happy and when we can't make them better like yesterday! it feels like a failure. The objective truth is that you are moving mountains to get help for Chopper. He will be able to sense that from you and be reassured by it. You're almost there.

On a positive note, many people here get to the stage where they have only minimal interaction with their vets when it comes to their kitties' everyday diabetes management (usually for occasional reviews and any Rxs needed). And many do it on a tight budget. We'll do all we can to help you both. You are not alone with all this, OK? You and Chopper will get through these initial teething glitches and things will get a lot better. :bighug:

Mogs

50. Critter Mom

PS: Having the funds is no guarantee of getting good veterinary support. Saoirse is insured up to the hilt and she has come a cropper on the veterinary treatment front in spite of having that advantage.

Last year Saoirse was referred out to what is regarded as one of the best veterinary hospitals in the country for diagnostic tests. The top-flight feline diabetes specialist who saw her wasn't worth a light; her approach to diabetes was as backward as her professional arrogance was huge. The specialist threw a major spanner in the works which resulted in Saoirse not getting treatment she needed (and shut the door to a second opinion) plus she prescribed meds for Saoirse at too high a dose for Saoirse to tolerate. Saoirse paid a hefty price for her that vet's shortcomings. A year on I am still furious about it. :mad: It's not costing that vet a thought; she hasn't had to live with seeing what her poor decisions did to my cat.

Mogs

51. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Wow I'm glad I'm not alone and many others have similar experiences.

Can anyone here advise me on how much insulin to dose chopper with? I see a previous comment suggesting 2units is too much. Should I proceed with 2 tonight or a little less?

52. Critter Mom

I don't comment much on dosing but for Chopper's weight the Tight Regulation Protocol dosing guidelines would indicate half that amount as a starting dose (subject to overall clinical status of the cat).

I'm going to tag some other members who will be able to give you better input on dosage. I strongly recommend that you wait to get input from them before giving Chopper his first dose of insulin:

@Chris & China
    @Julia & Bandit
    @Marje and Gracie

Ladies, could you advise on starting dose of Lantus, please? For information:

Mogs

53. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

T
    Thanks!

Critter Mom likes this.
  54. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

I'll be using the needles, because it's what I have available. So anyone with experience using the pens with needles please advise on whether or not I should keep it refriderated after first use!

55. Chris & China (GA)

I wouldn't start him at anything over 1 unit...his starting dose on TR would be 1.08 and we'd usually suggest starting even lower, like .5 or .75 (but with the pen needles, you're stuck at whole units)

The problem is going to be....what if 1 unit is too much? Then you'll be back to waiting until you get some regular insulin syringes before you could give him another shot.

If you don't refrigerate it, it'll only last 28 days...but if you DO put it in the refrigerator, there have been reports of the mechanism not working in the pens....My personal feeling is that it's probably worth the risk to keep it in the refrigerator so it lasts longer, but we need to figure out a way for you to get the right syringes....even if it means dealing with that idiot vet of yours until he gets it right!!

Are you able to get to a Walmart and have $12.58 plus tax if you get the correct script?

56. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

The starting dose depends on whether he eats dry food or not or whether you intend to follow the tight regulation protocol which I'm absolutely sure you haven't even thought about right now.

If he eats dry food....at all....you would start him on 1u every 12 hours.

If he eats low carb canned or raw food (no dry at all) and you want to take this whole process slowly, you would start him on 0.5u every 12 hours. The approach here would be the Start Low Go Slow where doses are held for one week and then you would do an at home curve to determine how the dose is working.

If he eats low carb canned or raw food (no dry at all) and you want to use the tight regulation protocol, his starting dose for his weight of 9 lbs is 1u every 12 hours. The TR protocol is more aggressive and has us reevaluating dose changes roughly every 3-6 cycles and doing spot checks each cycle.

You can always start with one approach and switch to another later.

Also....I can help you get your SS up pronto. I'll send you a private message....check your inbox in the upper right corner.

I'm not sure who "we" is :) because I wouldn't make that suggestion if someone is doing the TR protocol. It's pretty clear how to calculate the dose and for this kitty, if she can do TR protocol, it's 1u. Of course, she is free to start at whatever dose she wants ...we are just providing her with the dosing info as we calculate it in this forum.

57. Tuxedo Mom

Right now all she has are the pen needles so she is restricted to full unit doses. Her vet gave her the wrong Rx and it will be a day or so, if she can afford it until she can purchase syringes to use with the pens. Considering that her vet had said to start at 2 units, I would think 1 unit is really the only way to go right now as long as she is monitoring adequately.

58. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Thanks, Mary Ann. I did read she has only pen needles but got the impression she was finding a way to get syringes.

If that is not the case, 1u is fine.

59. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

I have no money and no transportation either, my heart goes out to you.
    When Eleanor was first diagnosed I was a complete basket case, trying to find a new, decent vet, trying to get supplies, with no money and no vehicle, desparately trying to save my cats life.
    Take a deep breath, you are doing everything you can do. And it will get easier.
    Is there anyone here who lives nearby who can donate a few syringes?!!

60. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Actually it is a state law. Any products that are for use to come in contact with blood are not returnable.

Critter Mom likes this.
  61. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Yup it's time to search out another vet. This whole episode could have been avoidable if your vet had just used common sense..it's something that is sorely lacking in many of them these days.

Critter Mom likes this.
  62. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I'm sorry I got back to this so late! Given that you only have the pen needles for the time being (if they can't be returned), I agree with Marje and would start at 1u, not 2. And try and get your hands on some of the correct syringes in the mean time. I would physically go to his office and pick up the script, making sure it says exactly what I wrote up above. You shouldn't have to go see a new vet just to get a script for syringes.

Critter Mom likes this.
  63. Critter Mom

I second this suggestion.

Mogs

Jeanne & Dottie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.