Frutosamine test vs. Home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harukyo, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Hello FDMB! I'm back with some more questions to ponder ...

My vet recommended that Kyo come in for a frutosamine test and as I was researching the test and reading other posts here and hearing the off comment about it not being really necessary. Im beginning to feel reluctant about dropping $130 on this test, though I do want something for our vet to have for her records.

My understanding is that my home testing does just about what a frutosamine test would. I just picked up an AT2 test kit and I'm looking to put my strips to good use as they are so expensive!

So my question is, does the Frutosamine test check anything else other than average blood glucose levels?

If not, and I can do the same thing with my AT2, how can I make sure it's done as close to the Frutosamine test as possible? Test once daily for 2-3 weeks? Twice daily for a month? Etc.

I plan on calling my vet to see what she says to my questions, but call it a healthy dose of caution after some of the advice she gave me last time:rolleyes:... I would just like some insight from the people who deal with this disease on the daily and maybe have experience doing the tests themselves! :bookworm:

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Lauren, Kyo is looking amazing!:D
    It looks to me, looking at your SS that you are on the OTJ trial day 7.
    14 days in green numbers and Kyo will be in remission!
    There is absolutely no need to spend $130 on a fructosamine test when you are testing daily. The fructosamine test is just an average of the last couple of weeks. It doesn’t tell you if the numbers have been high then low or all low or whatever.
    Your vet wants a fructosamine test because that is what she understands. Give her a copy of the SS which will be a much more up to date and accurate version of what has happened.
    Be firm and don’t let her talk you into it.
    Make sure you always keep Kyo on a low carb diet for the rest of her life because she will still be a diabetic but diet controlled.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree you do not need a fructosomine test. The only time I think it is worth it is for the initial diagnosis and when someone is not home testing. Your numbers look great.

4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

As someone who has spent hundreds on fructosamine tests - I don’t recommend them. Other than the initial diagnosis, they can’t tell you much of anything. Home testing is much more informative. As Bron said, they can’t tell you the highs and lows of the blood sugar. Before I was home testing, the last fructosamine test I paid for came back as in “good” range, but I could tell Sophie was off so I finally got the courage to check her blood sugar and she was way low. So her BG was getting low then bouncing back up, and that was averaging to be a “good” number.

5. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Thank you @Bron and Sheba @Lisa and Witn (GA) @Sarah&Soph for the clarification! I will definitely cancel our appointment for the Frutosamine test and save that money for food or supplies! How should I proceed with my Alpha Trak? Just start doing my regular AMPS PMPS testing with it for 2-3 weeks? I would like to give my vet a number for her to reference in Kyos records.

6. Peacock

Peacock Member

If the vet needs something for her records, I think she would probably be most satisfied with a 12 hour curve done using the AlphaTrak, and maybe a week of the AMPS/PMPS log thrown in for good measure.

7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. The glucose readings are great and when you add in the curve readings, that should be plenty of information for your vet to confirm she is in remission.

8. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree too. I would have suggested doing a curve and a print of the SS.

I was just thinking about you and Kyo today! Glad she is still doing so well. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.