Fur Ball Help?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by skybar22, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

Morgaine has been using Laxatone for quite some time to help with fur balls. I stopped giving it when she was dx'd because it is loaded with glucose. Is there anything any of you use regularly to help with fur balls that doesn't contain glucose and that the cat will eat? Does salmon oil work?

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

The active ingredients in laxatone are petrolium (like vasaline) and mineral oil. I am not sure I would give my cat straight vasaline, but we give the dogs mineral oil each night to help 'process' their meal. I know others have different methods, but I can't think of them right now.

3. Maria & Suzie

Maria & Suzie Member

If your cat allows it, brush & comb her, helps her get rid of the excess fur instead of her ingesting it, esp now in Spring, even shorthairs molt (don't know if your cat is short or long-haired)....

4. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

Morgaine is long haired in some places but I have arthritis and she tends to squirm away from me when I brush her. I used to brush her daily but things have changed.

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can use Vetbasis... if you can find it. It used to be widely available but is hard to find now. I know it has been discussed before on FDMB. I think the reason was that the company has discontinued it? It comes in chicken and salmon flavors. It looks like you can order it directly from the company: http://vetbasis.com/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=11

Some people do give a teeny bit of Vaseline to keep hair balls from forming. Frequent brushing will help keep your cat from ingesting too much hair.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

VetBasis is/was good but is now hard to find.

My Pet Health Food store now sells NaturVet. Petrolatum Free.
    It's a bit pricey ($11-$12 for a 3 ounce tube).

Ingredients:
    Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Flaxseed Oil, d-AlphaTocopherol Acetate (Vit. E), Sorbitol, Soy-Protein, Chicken Flavor, Lecithin, Tuna Flavor, Maple Flavor, Methycellulose, Chamomile, Catnip.

NaturVet is made by The Garmon Corporation
    27461 Via Industria, Temecula, CA 92590
    1-888-628-8783
    www.naturvet.com

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

PetroMalt from Petsmart - I have seen people suggest it here before.
    It's ok, right gang? I just got some the other day. The ingredient is mainly mineral oil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.