fur shot question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

So Sam tried to bolt during his shot this morning and missed part of the dose. I thought I'd injected it before he moved, but I felt a wet spot and got the bandaid smell. Then he ran under the bed and licked the spot and then my civvie went under the bed to help him (they adore each other) - so my question is: can they get sick from licking the insulin? When you do a fur shot, do you try to wash the area?

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Apparently the bandaid smell is what insulin smells like. That's adorable that your civvie helped him clean the spot. From what I've read, if you do a fur shot and the cat licks it away it should not hurt them because the insulin does not absorb through the digestive tract, hence why we inject it :). When I did a fur shot I just left him alone. I'm sure others will chime in :)

Djamila likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Thanks, Yong! That's what I was hoping. I was thinking that if it was dangerous I would have read a warning about it on here somewhere. I just wanted to check and make sure. My civvie is hilarious with all of this testing and shooting. He hovers around Sam and always gives him love after his shots. Quite protective! Also, he knows if he hangs around he'll get a treat too - so there's that. ;):p

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, I think you should be fine. That's so cute that your civvie gives love after Sam gets his shot! Mine used to sit in a little semi circle in front of me when I tested Gypsy...they knew they'd get some treats too (though I gave Gypsy one more than them since she was getting the test and shot).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.