fur shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Glassgoblin, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

How can I tell if it was a fur shot? I think we might have just had our first, but only my finger tip was a tiny bit wet and her fur was not when I felt around the shot site with my other hand. I even used her flea comb to see if any wetness would show in her fur and nothing, so now I'm not sure if it was a fur shot or I just got some from the needle onto my finger before or after the shot. She definitely seemed to feel the needle go into her skin and I had a good "pinch" of her. Wait and see.

Will test at +2 or +3 I guess?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can usual tell from the strong insulin smell - like a very strong Band-Aid smell.

3. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

I was having issues with repeated fur shots and could tell easily from the strong insulin smell. Unfortunately when it happens multiple times the smell can linger, so also look for greasy or oily spots on the cats fur where you gave the injection.

Are you using the short 5/16" needles? 1/2" needles are one obvious option which I myself am waiting on.

Thanks,
    Joe

4. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

We are using the 1/2" U40 needles that my vet gave us; I'm still not sure about last night. I couldn't smell anything in her fur but the wet on my finger did smell like it could have been insulin. I think she probably got most of the shot since her bg went down even after eating three times between shot and her +3 test. She was a bit higher this AMPS though, and that might be a totally different issue (dog food).

I have weird fears when giving the shots; like that I might poke her internal organs. It isn't always easy to get a good grab of her skin along her upper sides.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can sometimes get a little whiff of insulin with a good shot. There can be a little residue on the needle shaft that adheres to the fur. A true fur shot will usually wet the fur quite noticeably and the smell will be very strong. Try moving your shot site slightly further back and down on her side to see if the skin is easier to pull up on. You can also try just pulling on a good tuft of fur instead of the skin to see if that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.