? Fur Shots - Chester - advice please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AJay, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJay

AJay Member

Ok, so now the little man is back home, the fun begins again... I think I have just given my first fur shot :(

He's now on Caninsulin 1.5u for about a week, until I see the vet agin next week.

I was due to give him his evening shot of Caninsulin when I got home. I didn't test him because I think he has been through enough and he is only just off his drip etc. So I fed him (low fat, low carb raw), and shot him. I know at the vets he was still running high as this is what the nurse said when he was discharged. It def went into the scruff, but he wriggled a bit and when I rubbed his neck, the fur was wet :(

I haven't given him any more as I have noted this was not advised :)

Advice please :)

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

You did the right thing. Do not give any more insulin. There is no way to determine how much went in him vs how much went on him, and you could overdose him if you gave any more. Just keep an eye on him and test him once or twice during the cycle to make sure he's okay. :)

AJay likes this.
  3. AJay

AJay Member

So test him in say a few hours time (he's just had a couple of mouthfuls of chicken that one of the cats didn't finish up) Its evening here now 21.23. So just before bed? He had his shot at 19.30. He seems very bright and chatty. :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Before bed is probably good. That gives both the food and the insulin time to make any differences in his BG, if you know what I mean.

5. AJay

AJay Member

Ouch!!!!! 33.6!! I know they said it was running high and I messed up on his dose tonight! But holy moly!!! Meep!!! Im guessing he will be ok until his next shot at 7am (+7 from now)?

@FurBabiesMama @MrWorfMen's Mom @Squalliesmom

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The others have WAY more experience than I do, and I am sure they will chime in. I do not think the 7 hours of being high will hurt him.

AJay likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Deep Breathes! Don't panic. It looks Chester got little if any of the Caninsulin (or he's just so excited to be home with his Mom!:p). I know you are panicking but I do have another suggestion. If memory serves, your normal shot time was 19:30 hrs. and right now it would be 00:30am your time if my math is on. The good news with Caninsulin is that you can shoot every 8 hours if numbers allow. The caveat to that is that it would throw your regular schedule out the window.

Here's my thoughts: If you are willing to get up and give insulin at 0330 hrs (am) you could give Chester a shot then provided he is still running high. That takes into consideration that he may have got some but not much of the 1930 hrs shot. Caninsulin sometimes doesn't last more than 8 hours and given how high his BG is right now, I think you'd be safe to shoot at 0330 hrs. but I would also do so only if you are able to then test at say +3 or 0630hrs to see where he is at. If you do this then we'll have to work out how to get you back onto a normal schedule. Thankfully Caninsulin is one of the more forgiving insulins when it comes to shot times.
    Let me page Janet who has more experience than I do with this insulin.

@JanetNJ do you concur with this suggestion of shooting 8 hours post what is suspected furshot? You have much more experience with Caninsulin than me. History: Chester has recently had ketones and just got sprung from the vet hospital today so we don't want his numbers running high any longer than necessary.

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Are you making a tent of his scruff fur and injecting into the "door" of the tent? I found that pulling the fur up high and taut gave a good tight depression for the needle to go in.

AJay likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

I like Linda's suggestion. After having ketones and being so ill it would be preferable for Chester to get some insulin if you can mange a wonky schedule for a day or two.

TempestsMum likes this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Kris & Teasel Thank you! I wanted someone else's thoughts on this and was just looking to see who was around!

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

AJay if you are up for it, we suggest you test Chester at 03:00hrs and if his BG is still high, then feed him a pre-shot size meal and shoot insulin @ 03:30 hrs.
    His next shot will not technically be due till 15:30 hrs. but we can back that one up too if his numbers allow and we'll get you back on schedule ASAP.

12. AJay

AJay Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    I caaaaaaaan (gulps at thought) test at 3h00 uk time and shoot at 03h30(it's 00.57 currently)
    How much do I give him? 1.5u?
    His normal times were 7am, 7pm. The hospital changed that to 8am, 8pm. They advised I could shoot this eve at 19.30 and then at 7am for the next shot. So 6.30 isn't so bad.
    Am I making sense? Lol.

Is anyone going to be around to sense check before I shoot? (#terrified in uk lol)

I will need to get him back to a reasonable schedule by Monday because I have to go away for the day and won't be back till eve. He will be looked after, but I won't feel comfy about them having to do shots etc

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  13. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok 03:00 hrs your time will only be 2200 hrs my time so I will still be up and about. I'll check back in around 0230 hrs your time to make sure you are OK. There will be others coming on board after that too so don't worry. Help is here if you need it. I don't think you will though. It does look like Chester got very little if any of the 1930 hrs shot so relax because the only issue is getting you back onto a workable schedule of 12 hours shots and I'm working on that now.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  14. AJay

AJay Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    Thanks :) I'll try to get a few hrs sleep :) I'll post at 03h00. :)
    I'm trying to get case studies done by Sunday so neeeed sleep lol.

Thanks so much :)

1.5u ok? x

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yup! Regular dose of 1.5u. Sleep tight. Talk to you later. :)

16. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd give the dose early. 1.5.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thanks Janet! AJay is going to shoot at 8 hrs instead of 12 and then we'll work her back to a regular schedule over the next day or two.

JanetNJ and Squalliesmom like this.
  18. AJay

AJay Member

Morning

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good morning! At 33.1 I would feed Chester and then give him his full 1.5 u dose of insulin. \

Did you manage a little nap time?

AJay likes this.
  20. AJay

AJay Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    Thanks :) I managed a cat nap lol. MrC is tucking into 60g as we speak. I've run downstairs and have his 1.5u here now. I'll shoot him shortly. Please pray I get it right this time! Xx

TempestsMum and Squalliesmom like this.
  21. Squalliesmom

You'll do fine! We have all given fur shots from time to time, it happens, don't beat yourself up over it. :bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  22. AJay

AJay Member

So next shot due 15h30?

23. MrWorfMen's Mom

You will get it right. Give him a few minutes after he has eaten before shooting so you know his food is staying down and has started hitting his system. You can do some deep breathing or sing Chester a song while you wait! Anything to calm yourself. You will be fine. We've all done furshots at times for any number of reasons. I have two furry supervisors myself who can occasionally wreak havoc when they get Miss M's attention. :woot:

TempestsMum and Squalliesmom like this.
  24. AJay

AJay Member

It's glorious to see him washing his face! Simple pleasures :) He didn't do much washing before :-/

25. Squalliesmom

Funny how such a small thing can make your heart just rejoice! :)

26. AJay

AJay Member

And so to bed. :) thanks guys. I'll catch you later.
    Sleep well and huge thanks again :) x

27. MrWorfMen's Mom

AJay, get a test around +3 and if Chester's BG has gone down a lot, give him a snack to slow him down. If you are concerned post. I doubt I'll be up but if I am I will check in. I think I have a schedule sorted out for you but we'll discuss that tomorrow! Sweet dreams!

AJay likes this.
  28. Squalliesmom

I may be up then, if so I'll check in, too.

AJay and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  29. AJay

AJay Member

@Squalliesmom
    17.2 :) I've given him a pouch of Applaws so fairly bland n easy on the tum. Should slow him down a little?

Squalliesmom and TempestsMum like this.
  30. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

17.2 is a good number how many hours after his shot is it now?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  31. Squalliesmom

Is this his +3 result? Not a bad reading, but since he's already had a DKA scare I would continue to monitor him as much as possible, and get a urine ketone test as soon as possible.

ETA: You are doing a great job!!!

AJay and TempestsMum like this.
  32. Squalliesmom

AJay, I need to head to bed, I hope everything is okay with you, If you need further help please post!

AJay likes this.
  33. AJay

AJay Member

Thanks all. I'm still monitoring him closely. He's gone very quiet again :( Checked Keytones. Vaguely a trace. I'll check again soon.

34. AJay

AJay Member

Quick question for whoever is around. IF I need to take Chester back to the vets, how do I explain that I gave him insulin at 3.30 this morning?? (Normally 7am, 7pm)

35. JanetNJ

Say the truth. You believe you have a fur shot and when the number was climbing high you were afraid he would develope ketones again, and that the plan was to gradually get back on schedule by shifting the shot time an hour each time providing the number at test time was shootable.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  36. AJay

AJay Member

@JanetNJ Prob is vet is going to think I did it off my own back. She doesn't know about this forum. Trying to ease them in gently..
    bg 14.1 as of a few mins ago +7

37. JanetNJ

Why do you need the vet today? Listen all we can do is make the best decision we can in the moment.

38. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good day. My laptop decided to go south this am so if you get cryptic messages forgive me. Not used to using phone.
    Much better # this am. Now for timing next shots.....
    I suggest 10 hr cycles which would mean next shot @ 1330 hrs. Numbers permitting.
    Then 2330 tonight.
    Saturday do shots @ 0930 &then 1930 hrs. This gets you back to 7/19 hr schedule. Would that work for you?

AJay likes this.
  39. AJay

AJay Member

@JanetNJ
    @MrWorfMen's Mom
    Chester has gone very quiet again :( Not as ravenous as he has been (bowl and all if he could!) A thought occurred that perhaps 60g of what I have been giving him is a bit much per serving. Tummy feels a bit full. He is getting pure protein in the form of the balanced raw diet so not fillers etc... I have seen him wee, but not poo since he got home.

I have spoken to the VN at the hospital and there is nothing they are concerned about in terms of his numbers (nor me if I look at them as numbers)

Hes had his Noroclav this morn (sent home with it) Latest BG is 14.1 (+7) Keytones a fraction off the original colour of the tip of the strip. I couldn't check his temp because it would appear my thermometer is not playing nicely and being accurate.

Linda, you should still be on your 2nd coffee at least! (Hug). I can work to that schedule, no problem. :) :)

I could get very emotional with the support you are giving. It is terrifying, but less so with you guys to help. Im just nervous about telling the vet what we are doing because I don't want to annoy them - even though it is very clearly working...

Im guessing it is possible to over feed a starving cat?... oops - He's flat out on the kitchen floor

JanetNJ likes this.
  40. MrWorfMen's Mom

He won't be as ravenous when his BG is down. As long as he is eating & getting insulin , he'll be fine. Just keep an eye on those ketones & if he looks hungry feed him & to heck with usual meal times. ;)

Squalliesmom and AJay like this.
  41. Kris & Teasel

We're here to help. Linda has given you a schedule to follow for the next couple of days. The keys for now are: 1. hydration - add extra water to his food; 2. food - in small amounts and as often as necessary; 3. insulin at a high enough dose - so far the 1.5 u seems to get him down nicely; 4. urine testing for ketones - if it moves above trace, call the vet ASAP.

I assume Noroclav is an antibiotic? That can make them feel "off". Was he getting it at the clinic too? Mind you, he was so ill then it might have been hard to tell one effect from the others.

We all understand the anxiety that happens when you deviate from the vet's instructions. Hopefully you can get his treatment well underway at home and then you can discuss any changes with them when you feel calmer.

AJay likes this.
  42. AJay

AJay Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom Set feed times? What's that? :cat: Ive not seen him go for a poo since coming home. But the raw tends to be low residue as it's generally easier to digest. I might just sprinkle a bit of psyllium husk on his food for my peace of mind.
    At the mo he's spread out on the kitchen floor (as opposed to curled up uncomfy)

So I'll test and shoot as you suggest at 13h30 (25 mins) and go from there. I'll post the results beforehand if anyone is around :)
    xx

Squalliesmom likes this.
  43. AJay

AJay Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

44. Kris & Teasel

I think Linda was referring to any sort of meal schedule you might have. Also, wrt testing BG before dosing insulin, we recommend removing all food 2 hours before so the test result isn't food influenced. That way any dosing decisions are made based on actual BG, not a number that's up because of food.

AJay likes this.
  45. Kris & Teasel

People also used plain pureed cooked pumpkin in the food to help with constipation. You can usually find it in the grocery store in cans but make sure it isn't the spiced pie version. Good hydration can help with constipation too.

46. AJay

AJay Member

@Kris & Teasel Lol re feeding times. I / we don't have set times :) :) They went out the window a while back :)

Yup, I'll feed him much smaller amounts, I have a feeling I've given him too much in one go as what I'm feeding is pretty much straight protein, no fillers lol
    Thanks so much for your help :) x

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  47. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Kris & Teasel @JanetNJ can you keep an eye out for Ajay today? I have a house guest arriving, a laptop gone awol, and just charging up tablet. Phone is driving me bonkers! Will check in when I can! Thx.

AJay likes this.
  48. JanetNJ

I was just going to suggest that. :)

AJay likes this.
  49. Kris & Teasel

Will do! :) Technology is great - when it works! :confused:

AJay likes this.
  50. JanetNJ

I'll be around for the morning but then I'm be on the road this afternoon for a short overnight trip

AJay likes this.
  51. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thx girls! Just to keep my day exciting, Miss M decided to play in the lagoon at shot time.....today of all days! :arghh: C'est la vie!

AJay likes this.
  52. AJay

AJay Member

@Kris & Teasel , @JanetNJ , @MrWorfMen's Mom

Ouch re technology and Miss M!!! Total nightmare!
    Thanks for keeping an eye on me lol. Much appreciated. :)
    Ive just tested the warrior and he is up at 25.7 - the spreadsheet looks odd, but Ive tried to "explain" it by putting the shot dose by the relevant numbers, as he's not on a 12hr schedule at the mo. :) So on those values I'll shoot at regular dose of 1.5u. He's just eaten 30g food with huge interest. Think I overcooked him on the food a little - oops. Ive included psyllium husk as its what I have in the house at the mo. It doesnt taste of anything. For some reason, pumpkin isn't so easy to get here. i know when I tried with Milo, I struggled a bit.

Safe travels @JanetNJ Hope your day eases up @MrWorfMen's Mom :D @Kris & Teasel

Squalliesmom likes this.
  53. Kris & Teasel

Do the best you can to track these odd shot times on your SS. Make detailed notes in the right hand section. I'm very glad he's interested in eating. I can't really visualize 30 g very well. Maybe express it in teaspoons or tablespoons?

AJay likes this.
  54. AJay

AJay Member

About 3 good teaspoons @Kris & Teasel :) A std uk pouch of cat food is about 80g :)
    Detailed notes for sure :) :)

55. JanetNJ

Fall is coming... Pumkin may be easier to find. Maybe in the baking aisle? Canned with no spices.

AJay likes this.
  56. AJay

AJay Member

Psyllium husk does the same thing @JanetNJ :) We've just had a production :) :) Simple pleasures :)

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  57. Kris & Teasel

Hurray for poop! Maybe note that on the SS in case you have to monitor that in the days ahead.

AJay likes this.
  58. Kris & Teasel

Checking in - how's Chester?

59. AJay

AJay Member

Hiya @Kris & Teasel :) Not too bad a day after the poop. lol. Just managed to bg test him again. I messed up at +2 so left it. Just weighed in at 25.2. Next shot is in +2 hours. :)

60. AJay

AJay Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Kris & Teasel @FurBabiesMama
    Quick question: I have just tested Ches to shoot tonights 1.5u. The first time I tested came back at 11.6. I wasn't convinced so retested and it came back as 18.7.. Allowing for a bit of stress, which one should I go with and shall I still shoot the 1.5u for tonight.

Last test a few hours ago was 25.2 - a big drop or..... ( he has just been fed)

Thanks

61. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Sorry to jump in. Those numbers are both around the same allowing for a variation in the meter. You can get differently numbered readings from the same blood sample too. Hope that makes sense! xx

AJay likes this.
  62. AJay

AJay Member

Helloooo :) I hadn't seen you around so I thought the lurgy had got you :( so didn't want to bother you. Hope it's easing ((hug))
    Thanks for the explanation. I went with the regular dose. I wish his bg would make its mind up :woot: xx

63. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Still got the lurgy.. but I think it's hopefully improving.. fingers crossed lol

Hehe well considering what he's just been through I think it's going to take time to settle. So I'd batton down the hatches for a bit!

AJay likes this.
  64. AJay

AJay Member

@TempestsMum after my fun n games thru last night I think I need some sleep lol. Everyone else is finding their spot. Time I claim mine :D

65. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Sweet Dreams! :)

AJay likes this.
  66. Kris & Teasel

Reminder: take food away for the 2 hours prior to the pre shot test. You want to know what the non food influenced BG is so you can judge whether a dose is too high or not. I don't think that'll be an issue for you yet but you'll get there. Has anyone outlined our recommended testing routine for you?
    1. AM/PM before feeding and giving insulin (no food at least 2 hours before)
    2. somewhere in the middle part of the cycle to see how low he goes
    3. before bed to see what his overnight plan might be.

67. MrWorfMen's Mom

Checking in to see how Chester is doing. Looks like his numbers have come down some which is good & hooray for poop! I'll be scarce tomorrow but will try to check in again Sat am (your afternoon).:bighug::bighug:

AJay likes this.
  68. AJay

AJay Member

Thanks kris & teasel. Got that under my belt now Thankies :) :) x

69. AJay

AJay Member

Thanks @MrWorfMen's Mom . We've had a good night :) Checked him at 4am because I woke at that time lol. I got a very sleepy "sleepy cat is sleeping" look. :)
    He's bright and eaten well this morning. :) Laid on the floor now purring :cat::cat: I'm due to test in about an hour from now so I'll post the results then :)
    I haven't checked his keytones since yesterday morn because I honestly haven't managed to catch him.
    Much happier with the general picture from yesterday morning :) xx

70. AJay

AJay Member

Just tested Mr C - 26.6.
    Hes eaten reasonably well considering he wanted his breakfast at his "normal" time of 7am and who am I to deny a redhead? LOL In Africa I learnt that when a lion awakes from his slumbers and is hungry, feed it! :D

Just eaten another 30g. Ill get a wee sample later. I wasn't quick enough with my watch. But he seems happy enough. Not bouncing off the walls just yet, but alert and purring - if flopped in the most awkward places, like in the middle of the doorway into the kitchen. I think Its a prime vantage point for observing from the lounge though to the rest of the house. :D

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  71. MrWorfMen's Mom

Interest in watching household activities is a good sign as is eating & all the P's. All this and his numbers suggest he's heading in the right direction!
    Well time 4my 2nd cup of :coffee:. I think the vet will be very happy with how well how things are going .You are doing GGRREEAATT!:bighug::bighug: & scritches for Chester.

72. Kris & Teasel

Good signs for sure! Keep us in the loop - we're all rooting for Chester Lionheart! :smuggrin::bighug:

73. AJay

AJay Member

Oops! Just sent Chessie flying :( Was sitting in the kitchen. Saw him get up n walk round the back of the kitchen table. Thought he was heading to the loo. Swung round to high tail it after him to take a sample. Didn't realise he was behind my chair :banghead:
    Poor lad fell over himself to leg it upstairs and hide under my bed. :(
    I had to pull him (gently) out. He hissed at me :( When I got him downstairs, he legged it under the dining table and isn't coming out. :( But he's eaten a pouch of Applaws at least.
    What a muppet I am. No point trying to test anything for a while then... le sigh:rolleyes:

74. Kris & Teasel

Maybe try putting a double layer of plastic food wrap over his favourite area of the litter box and push indentations into it to catch pee. That way you can keep an eye on his trips to the box but can more leisurely wander over there after he's finished to dip a ketone test strip into the pee.

75. MrWorfMen's Mom

These furballs have a habit of putting themselves right in traffic patterns. Chester will recover & probably do the same thing again but you'll be obsessively checking for him from now on! It wasn't your fault even though Chester wants you to think it was! He's training you.:woot:

Yong & Maury GA and AJay like this.
  76. AJay

AJay Member

I'm a muppet, I know! Yup, as always, these things happen. I just felt extra bad cos it was him. He's putting on weight but he's Obs still fragile and learning to trust me. Poor little mite will be fine, I'm reasonably sure. I've left him alone for now. I'll attempt grovelling peace talks again later lol.
    He's going to be a huge character when he's feeling better and stronger lol.

I'll just keep beating myself with the stupid stick a bit longer lol

77. AJay

AJay Member

Ok. Got a conundrum...
    I've scared the crap out of Chessie. He's only just come out of hiding :( I'm due to give him his shot at 19h30 (40 mins from now) Give testing is going to be a bit stressful cos he doesn't want me handling him right now, his levels are probably going to be high anyway :( , is it worth testing? I'm thinking of stress on stress. :( Maybe test later on tonight after he's had a few more hrs to chill.

Obs feed him just before giving him his shot. And keytones I can test fairly easily later

78. Kris & Teasel

I would say that under the circumstances you can forego the pre shot test this time. He needs some time to chill out and the dose hasn't pulled him down drastically so far.

79. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Yes, I would still do the PMPS test :).

80. Yong & Maury GA

Your choice now :D lol. Kris is probably right that it is OK to skip the PS test. If you decide to still test, and this is just something I've done, and it's much higher, just make a note he was stressed. Maury likes to sweep his tail while laying in the doorway so once in a blue moon, I end up stepping on it :facepalm: before his PS test. I just make a note ;)

81. AJay

AJay Member

@Yong Im hesitant because I've not had him long, he's Obs been thru the mill and I've just scared the holy moly out of him.
    He's still stabilising and not dropped low so far. He's just back from a Dka stint, vet stay (and eye watering vet bill) :( Im terrified I'll spark another episode :(

Thanks @Kris & Teasel. Poor mite. He's seriously upset but at least he's in the kitchen and not hiding under the radiator

82. Yong & Maury GA

No worries! I think I recall that Chester is a rescued fur baby. He'll learn that you are only wanting to help him but I know trust building can take some time without all the poking :bighug:. Important thing is that he eats and continues to get insulin :cat:

83. MrWorfMen's Mom

Just checking in on Chester. Has the poor guy calmed down from yesterday yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.