? Fur Shots

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jacereske, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacereske

jacereske Member

I've been giving insulin shots for 3 years, but lately I seem to be giving a lot of fur shots and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I give them in the scruff.

I make the tent like I always have and I feel the needle go in, then I inject and I wait 10 seconds after the injection to pull it out. But sometimes when I lightly stroke the fur I feel liquid and I know it's the insulin, because I check the fur before the shot and it's dry.

I can't tell that I'm doing anything differently, but I must be and I'm perplexed.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Jeanette

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Insulin has a distinct odour so I suggest smelling the fur at the injection site to be sure. Do your kitty's BG numbers show that a shot has been missed, ie., a fur shot?

jacereske likes this.
  3. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I always heard that you should rotate areas that you give the shots in. Is it possible that has something to do with it?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good point. Have you tried shooting along his sides in loose skin to see if there's a difference?

jacereske likes this.
  5. jacereske

jacereske Member

I can't say I have noticed the odor.
    She is still not regulated and her numbers vary a lot, so it's hard to tell. But yes I think so. On Sunday night I felt liquid and Monday morning her BG was 545.

6. jacereske

jacereske Member

No I have not tried that.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I gave up on the "tent method" ......now I do it differently

I grab some fur between my thumb and forefinger and then "roll" my wrist to pull the skin away from the muscle/fat layer.....where the fur "breaks", I can see skin and that's where I shoot

This isn't a great picture, but it may give you the idea of what I'm talking about
    china skin roll method.jpg

8. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

I suggested to my friend that she do similar to the above photo - and them blow on the hair to part it so that the skin is clearly visible. Also, be sure to press the plunger all the way in and wait one second (one elephant) to withdraw the needle.

Lois and Java and jacereske like this.
  9. jacereske

jacereske Member

the plunger is definitely going all the way in and I wait 10 seconds.

Lois and Java likes this.
  10. jacereske

jacereske Member

Thanks Chris. I may try that tomorrow.

11. Lisa and Smoky

I have done that same thing with smoky after a suspected fur shot, there is an obvious odor with insulin.

12. Lisa and Smoky

I also have given shots in the way Chris was describing. I find that it works well with Smoky at times especially since he lost weight and is so thin with very little fat.

Lois and Java likes this.
  13. jacereske

jacereske Member

The weird thing is I've been giving Keno shots twice a day since June. This just started being an issue.

14. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I do this every time! It's fine until you have visitors round and they wonder why you're sniffing one of the cats! :p

15. manxcat419

I went through a phase of giving fur shots, or possible fur shots, with Rosa. The first couple of weeks went fine, then I started sometimes not being as sure that she'd got the shot. That's when I started sniffing her fur every time. I would never repeat a shot of course, but at least it does give you an idea of what to expect numbers-wise. On the positive side, that phase didn't last all that long for me, so hopefully you'll be back to getting all those shots where they belong very soon.

jacereske likes this.
  16. jacereske

jacereske Member

Thanks. I will start sniffing too! And I hope I get my groove back. It has shaken my confidence. Ugh. I'ts always something!

manxcat419 likes this.
  17. manxcat419

Try not to let it get to you too badly. Even people with years of experience give fur shots sometimes - it's just one of those things. You'll get your groove back, I'm sure you will. :bighug:

jacereske likes this.
  18. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

It happens to me also. Every once in a while. Sometimes Callie will move a bit and we get a fur shot, but that doesn't happen very often. I havent figured out what is going on. I do everything the same way every time.

jacereske likes this.
  19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yup, they look at you like you have four heads or something, and when you say, "Oh, I'm just sniffing the cat for insulin," they know you've gone over the edge, lol!

20. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sniffing the cat?? Why no!!....I was uhhh...uhhhh......looking for my new nose-muff.....lol

21. Squalliesmom

Lol!:joyful:

jacereske likes this.
  22. jacereske

jacereske Member

Thank you.

manxcat419 likes this.
  23. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

May sound crazy but I have had vet shave small area on each of Elmo's sides so I have a "target" to hit !

24. jacereske

jacereske Member

That does not sound crazy to me!

25. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

This is the best way to get a good clean shot. I went out and bought an inexpensive electric clipper to due one of my kiities who has longer thicker fur and it made all the difference in the world for not giving fur shots.

26. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

i do the tent method on the scruff as well. i've had my share of fur shots.

now i am careful to tent so that my fingers are on the opposite side of the flesh as the needle. i insert the needle, and can palpate with my fingers teh other side of the tent to make sure there is not even the slightest feeling of the needle. if i screw up, i'll be pricking myself which to me is better than giving a fur shot.
    i also part the fur so i can see right where the needle is going in. i think that helps m.e

jacereske likes this.
  27. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

omg i have so been there!!! thanks for the laugh!

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  28. Squalliesmom

Good thing no one else is ever around to watch me stalk the cat and hide around corners when it's time for a ketone test! They'd be sending out the men in white jackets, for sure! :joyful:

29. jacereske

jacereske Member

I've started parting the fur too and that is helping considerably.

30. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Thank you for this thread. I've been having fur shots also and I don't know why because I do the same thing every time. I'm going to do a search and try to find a photograph of a shaved kitty. I don't have a shaver but I could clip with baby nail clippers. I haven't been parting the fur, I'll try doing that. I have to reread the post about feeling the needle? I didn't quite get it.

31. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

This is my situation also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.