? Furshot Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

So I think we had a furshot this morning - I had inserted the needle, but Victor started squirming a bit as I was pushing down on the plunger. His fur was a little wet afterwards, so I thought it might have been at least a partial furshot, but his BG level stayed high throughout his morning cycle so I guess he didn't get much of it at all.

Of course, we did not give another shot, but I was just wondering - because it was a furshot - if there is anything different that we need to do with his PM shot, or do we just give it as we normally do?

2. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I've had about 3-4 fur shots with Fena, none of them a total loss but like you said, just enough lost to where it didn't make a noticeable difference and for the PM I always gave the same full dose, never adjusted. She got back on track fairly quick, which was good - but depending on how much was lost with the AM if you do a curve you might notice the numbers going down a bit slower than usual, but honestly you should perfectly fine with the same dose PM. I wouldn't change.

PS - edit to say, I also missed 2 morning shots at different times, since my own health is kinda of whacked and I slept through my alarm but I didn't change her PM dose then either, I just got back on the program as quick as I could. Aka, didn't shoot when I got up but fed lunch, then fed and shot PM, etc.

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  3. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I can smell the insulin as well as feel the wetness when I’ve had a furshot. Always feel so bad afterwards but make no adjustments. I just try to be more accurate the next time.

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  4. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

After two fur shots last week, I realized that I'd let Sammy's fur grow back over the 2" by3" patch the vet tech had shaved on his scruff when we started insulin five weeks ago. My poor eyesight and shaky hands need all the help they can get! So out came the cute mini shaver I found on Amazon, and Sammy has a little runway once again. No fur = no fur shot is my hope!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  5. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

One thing to be careful of when giving insulin shots is to vary the location of the injection. Over time scar tissue can develop in an area that receives an injection too often. BTW @Molly and Sammy, could you please provide a link to the mini shaver you found on Amazon? I may be in the market for one to shave Bama's butt fur. Too many dingleberries and as you say, my poor eyesight needs all the help it can get. :eek:

6. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

Here's the link to the shaver, hope it works! It's a darling little thing, and the buzz doesn't bother Sammy a bit!
    WAHL 9861-900 Pocket Pro Universal Trimmer
    by WAHL
    Link: http://a.co/d/0RfBqAB

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  7. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Ooh god, I need this! My vet shaved Fena for me and so far so good, but I'll need it. Bookmarking now, thank you!!

Molly and Sammy likes this.
  8. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

It's great for our limited purposes. And cheap!

9. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Though varying locations is a good thing, I gave Maggie her shots in the scruff for years without a problem. I did move it around on the scruff a bit, but I never gave her a shot elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.