fyi on prozinc shortage

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Carl & Polly & Bob (GA), Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. €£√#**! Phone..can't get the link to work. Go to DCIN FB page. It's at or near the top.
    C

2. snorton

snorton Member

Thanks for the heads-up.

3. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

4. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info...this may be the sign for Poopy to be switching to an L insulin...will find out when the vet calls today to go over test results.

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, the fact that they are advising Vets to start new patients on a different insulin is not encouraging that this shortage will be short lived.

Everyone should start thinking about a plan B.

Maybe buy an extra vial now while Vets still have some.

or

Start thinking about a switch to one of the L's just in case the shortage is long term, by that I mean start reading the stickies for Lev and Lantus to see which one you are most comfortable with so if you are forced to make the switch you will have already done the homework and it won't come as a last minute shock.

Also, ask us questions now, we know a little bit about the L's and how they work.

6. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

There's great info on the Lantus/Lev forums if you opt to go with one of them. For several of us that made the change for other reasons, most are seeing good results - and regardless of WHICH of the L's we're using, Donna/Asher, Libby/Hershey, Denise/Shakes, and I are all posting on the Lantus TR site.

If you're happy with the numbers you're seeing on ProZinc, however, I'd be inclined to seek out more of it. Keep in mind, if you're using small doses, sometimes the vial lasts 6 months, so one vial may be enough to hold you through the shortage.

Hopefully our vets will have something of a stock of Prozinc on hand, so their clients won't be impacted by this. It's good to stay on top of this - so thanks all for posting the links!

Lu-Ann

7. Dragonfly229

Dragonfly229 Member

I just got a new bottle this month, so I should be good until late September. Hopefully things are back on track by then, but if not, good excuse to switch and see if the results are better with Lantus or Lev. You don't know until you try, and it's really easy to stay where you are and not do something new.

We'll just change the board name to "PZI or L or Whatever Works"

8. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Shoot I hope my vet has some I am almost out and meant to get some today but didn't have a chance I better call first thing in the morning -

9. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

This has me in a panic. I just called my vet and she is checking into it.
    We have about half a vial and I told her I want to order another vial within a week.

10. sophie

sophie Member

Hello,
    Cindy & Mousie posted on Health that 2 vials of ProZinc are available at her vet's in Orange County of Southern California (that's fairly close to Los Angeles). She has a great vet! Her vet will work with your vet to honor one another's prescriptions so no kitty visit apparently will be needed - the cost will apparently be determined by your vet. Here's the link:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=75796

p.s. sorry, had to correct the link. I'm taking over the care of a very very elderly neighbor's kitty, Little One. Because of the PZ shortage, she'll be on Levemir - saw Cindy's post too late!!!
    Best wishes,
    Sophie

11. Angela&Henry

I just called BCP Veterinary Pharmacy in Houston and they have the PZI Bovine insulin.
    It has 1 amino acid difference than ProZinc. It comes in U40 and U100 strength.
    This is probably what we will get our vet to call in a prescription for in place of ProZinc until it is avaulable again.
    I spoke to the pharmacist there and was assured there was no problem getting it; they have been compounding it for 10 years.
    They will ship to overnight on ice to your vet clinic or directly to you after they get the prescription from your vet.

12. Angela,
    That is what Bob used, although I got it from VPA who apparently no longer makes it. I just had the vet call the scrip in, then I called them to pay by phone. Overnighted directly to me. I think BCP is the top producer of bovine pzi, so it's probably the best place to buy from.
    You may or may not see a difference in duration. Prozinc is supposed to last 10-14 hours, while compounded bovine is usually advertised to last 8-10. I shot Bob every 12.
    Carl

13. Angela&Henry

Thanks Carl.
    I have over a half bottle of ProZinc .When I take Henry in for an appointment on the 8th I am taking the information in to my vet and have her call the script in.
    How does it compare in price to ProZinc? I had been paying 85.00 dollars at my vet for ProZinc; the last bottle I got in early June was 93.00.
    I am thinking I might get a better price if I have it sent to my vet's; I think she sold the ProZinc to me with little mark-up.
    Gads, I may need to go back to 12/12 dosing. At least until finding out if there will BE any more ProZinc. Funny thing I called BO, manufacturer of ProZinc this morning also at the toll free number and no one answered the phone, it rang about 30 times.
    I've checked out the L's and if I have to switch I think I would try Lev.
    Just hoping this BCP works out and will remain available.

14. Angela,
    Keep in mind that this was last May and July, but I bought two 10ml vials of VPA PZI, direct by phone, and had them shipped direct to me overnight. Both times, the cost including shipping was $51.90.

Dirt cheap.

Carl

15. Angela&Henry

Thanks Carl, thats good to know.
    I saw my vet today when she came out to my mom's house to put one of her cats to sleep and I told her about BCP when she was leaving. She mentioned also that there is a compounding pharmacy in the city next to where I live that also can compound PZI. So I will see when I take Henry in for a check up next week, if she has received any more information about the ProZinc shortage or when it might be back in stock and decide what to do from that point. I probably will go with the BCP PZI.
    Nice to know its less expensive than ProZinc when every dollar counts nowdays with the price of everything else on the rise.

16. Barbara Carella

Barbara Carella Member

I'm getting very low with the prozinc so I called my vet. He has none in stock so his assistant is going to order it but she hasn't heard about the shortage. I asked what I would have to do if I couldn't get any more and she said I would have to bring in my cat and do a glucose curve again to see what insulin he could be switched to. I sure would hate to put my cat through that again. He's so old.

17. Barbara, are you testing BG at home? If so, there's no need whatsoever for them to have to run a curve on him to see what type of insulin he would need to be switched to. I don't understand that logic at all. No matter what his BG is, he could use Prozinc, PZI, Lantus or Levemir. The only question would really be what his starting dose would be, but all that information is here and elsewhere on the internet that explains proper starting doses. And it's free.

Carl

Sorry, I called him a her....fixed now!

18. Barbara Carella

Barbara Carella Member

Thanks so much for your help. This sight has been so helpful to me!

19. sophie

sophie Member

Hello Barbara,

My neighbor and I just went through similar experience. My neighbor can no longer take care of her diabetic kitty (she's over 90 yrs old & her fingers are too arthritic, does not see or hear well & fell over her kitty) so I've been administering her cat's shots & testing her BGs. Her kitty is now at my house. With the shortage of ProZinc, I wanted to make sure I had enough so am switching her to Levemir. I wish now I had researched the topic, like you're doing, & kept her on a compounded PZI. I purchased Levemir. My neighbor's vet wanted the kitty brought in for a fructosamine curve. We called him to explain that we had the curve & told his tech the dose plus injections 2x daily. Took a couple of conversations & $25 for the script. Done! Hope this works for you as there is no need for a switch or another expense & stress for your kitty.

Best wishes,
    Sophie

20. Sophie,
    You are a saint for taking in your neighbor's kitty! How is she doing? And have you switched to Lev already, or are you waiting for the Prozinc to run out?

Carl

21. sophie

sophie Member

:smile: Hello Carl :smile:
    thank you for the sweet compliment. No transition as yet, Little One is still on ProZinc mostly because I need to read up more on how to manage it. My neighbor had not noticed that the insulin vial had expired so in all likelihood her kitty was not getting any viable insulin for some weeks. Her numbers are all over but never red or black. I have 2 partial vials of ProZinc, both expire in November 2012 (using one for Little One & keeping one 'just in case' for Pudge). Brand new Levemir is waiting in my fridge. Am somewhat concerned about the shed & duration of hypos on Levemir, but will take the plunge.

By the way, both my neighbor's & my 1st vial of ProZinc expired in June 2012, & the next two I bought exp. in Nov. 2012. I remember asking for one with a later exp. date but all of my vet's PZ exp. in Nov. Perhaps, that was an indication of the coming shortage & not merely that his office ordered in June & November.

Miss you guys. Love reading your posts. My comp can now open all ss's with no problem but often gets slow poky when I post. Must be some goblin in it waiting around for Halloween ;-) !

Best wishes,
    Sophie

22. Angela&Henry

Vet called in a scrip yesterday to BCP compounding pharmacy yesterday for BCP PZI and it was overnighted directly to me after I called BCP and gave them my payment info.
    Total cost: 57.00, 44.00 for vial of U40 PZI + 13.00 overnight shipping. If it is shipped to your vet's clinic, cost is 44.00 + 12.00 overnight shipping. Arrived nice and cold even in 100 degree heat here. Just FYI in case anyone wanted to order from BCP pharmacy. They are located in Houston, TX. Phone # is 1-800-481-1729. Your vet will have to call in scrip and then you can call and order. Just be sure you tell them you need the U-40 PZI because they also have it in U-50 and U-100 strength.
    We won't be opening ours until the ProZinc we have is used up.

23. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

HI gang just an FYI my local Vet just got in a good supply of Prozinc last Friday (after I ran around and cornered a bottle in Manhattan) - they were told by their supplier that they are good to go for a couple of months at the rate my Vet orders it so - hopefully this isn't an issue for anyone out there.

24. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

DCIN posted on their FB page this morning they got word that 1800petmeds got a shipment of 89 boxes in in case anyone wants to get an order in. your vet will need to call or fax in a scrip.

25. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Wow would love to know others costs for ProZinc. Locally I pay about $155 at my vets. The bottle I got overnighted from NYC was $130 plus shipping so came out to be almost the same. I know I live in the Hamptons and everything is more money here but if I can be ordering out of a pharmacy that charges me $57 I think I need to start saving myself THAT money. SHEESH. Ok and gas is $3.90+ a gallon.

26. cjaubz

cjaubz Member

My vet's supplier also just got a large shipment in. I just paid $102 in Colorado.

27. Barbara Carella

Barbara Carella Member

syringes

My vet has raised the price of the U-40 syringes to almost double of what I was paying. Is there somewhere else to buy them?

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

American Diabetic Warehouse has them - click on the Shop button at the top of the page. I think in most states they are available without prescription. You can also use U100 syringes (which are available at any drug store) with the conversion chart:

Conversion chart

29. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Re: syringes

IF you're comfortable using the conversion chart, you can get 100 needles at Walmart for $12-13. But you HAVE TO use the chart.

30. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I have a vial of Prozinc, it expires next month, but I assume it is probably good after that date also. If anyone needs or wants it just let me know and I will figure out a way to ship it.

I know you oldtimers cannot believe that I have any extra vials!!!!!

Hope all is well with everyone.

Kim

31. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I have a vial of Prozinc, it expires next month, but I assume it is probably good after that date also. If anyone needs or wants it just let me know and I will figure out a way to ship it.

I know you oldtimers cannot believe that I have any extra vials!!!!!

Hope all is well with everyone.

Kim

32. Angela&Henry

Kim,
    We will take it if you still have it!
    Send me a PM or post here.

33. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I have it..... and you can have it!

I guess I can ship it on dry ice--- any suggestions from anyone on how to ship Prozinc?

PM me your address Angela.

34. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

Hi Kim! How're things in the Alley?

35. Angela&Henry

I think I read somewhere to wrap the insulin in paper towels and put in a ziploc bag then put the dry ice or frozen gel pak outside the ziploc bag with bubble wrap and tape?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.