Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Please quit overwhelming new people! One step ...easy does it. Be nice & understanding. Everyone is different... js

2. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning. After I knew my cat was safe from hypo and I had a game plan set for giving insulin... I picked one thing that I wanted to get straight in my head and focused on that. Once I had that fully understood I moved on to the next thing.
    We are all here to help and do not intend to overwhelm or stress anyone out. :)

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

So sorry if you felt overwhelmed! We do try very hard to be kind and understanding - we've all been there - and no one means to overwhelm newcomers. It's an intricate "dance" we do with our beloved diabetic kitties, and we try to pass on all the knowledge we think will be helpful to those who are new to this. Always feel free to ask questions! If the answers seem overwhelming, just say so, and I'm sure it can be broken down so it is easier to understand and not so daunting. :)

4. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

:bighug:I understand how you feel - I was totally overwhelmed at first with try to cope with Myrtle's diabetes diagnosis and while everyone here is very well-intentioned , it can seem that some responses are overly enthusiastic and a bit pushy at times. I had to take a break from this forum just after the first few days because I felt like I was being told I was doing everything wrong and I was going to kill my cat - that was extra stress I didn't need. So my advice to you (trying not to be pushy) is take a deep breath, do the best you can - spend time Baby Girl Kitty, show her she's loved and try to get your head around everything being thrown at you. By all means ask for advice on the forums but don't take things too personally - take the advice you want to and throw away the rest. Everyone here is really great and helpful (and you'll see that over time) but from a newbie's perspective it can be really overwhelming - it's been 6 months for me and I still get overwhelmed sometimes.

5. Squalliesmom

We really don't mean to overwhelm you, we just want to give you as much information as possible, so you know have the knowledge you need at your fingertips, lol. Sorry if we sound pushy, we don't mean to; no one here would ever want to push someone into doing something they didn't want to! :):):)

Diana&Tom likes this.
  6. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

It's a difficult situation really, how much information someone wants can be different from what they need. Some people cope better and others take time. There is no one right way to introduce someone to diabetes in cats. No matter how much or how little no amount or lesser amount will be right for every individual. :(

Too much information can definitely be overwhelming but where do we draw the line between what's necessary and what someone finds too much?
    Too little information can be fatal. :arghh:

I'm not an 'old wise member' here. I've been here long enough though to watch countless kitties die because vets haven't given correct information- basic information that the folks here give others in their introduction to the forums. Information that would have, could have saved their cats life. Is that too much, too overwhelming - for some yes, for others no.

It's a hard thing to gauge especially as text doesn't always lend itself to tone of voice or intention.
    The one thing you can be certain of is that everyone here has the best intentions for kitties and their parents. :)

If you can personally think of some ways we can adjust how we do that I would be grateful and more thank happy to listen to your suggestions (in fact anyone else who felt the same way please comment too) We have no want to drive people away from the place they can get the best help from 24/7.

:bighug:

7. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I guess when I heard spreadsheet from several people in a row, & I got it in my head that they won’t let me be a member or help me if I don’t do it now... I just couldn’t handle that all at once with Baby too. My brain only can handle so much & I know not everyone is like me. (Thank goodness) it was not any one person that upset me but just repetitive ss, ss, I thought if I hear that one more time I’ll throw a furball!! I trust you all are trying to help & I never doubted that or the knowledge! I do need your all’s help!
    I guess just let this disease sink in with the newly diagnosed instead of wanting #s on a page. I’ll get there... my situation is a bit different in that Baby is blind & just putting her on a table is enough to make her hide for days? Probably not... I’m sure lots of people have cats like this & it’s get better with repetition. I guess the ss was the only part I minded. Thank you for asking & im sorry this took me so long to answer, ’m just now learning my way. All of the info was not overwhelming & thankful beyond words for that!!! I’m was just busy cleaning up pee, poo, new litter, new boxes, shots, meter, ears, lost my 17 yr old cat days before this. Liz had mamma cancer & she was a thyroid kitty. I don’t know if this helps. Baby is honeymooning now & just spent another fortune at the vet for vomit/diapoo. The info has saved me & Baby in many ways! I had no one else! (My son & fiancé are Dr & endocrinologist-cats are different than humans!) they tried & did help.
    Thank you all & I just now found these messages. So appreciative for you reaching out! I did not mean to hurt feelings, offend or point to anyone in particular out! Just sensitive I am.
    Becky.

StephG likes this.
  8. Squalliesmom

Becky, I'm so sorry you lost your beloved Liz. It's so hard to lose a beloved member of the family, even if they have four legs and fur. Seems like they are never with us long enough.

I can relate to the whole spreadsheet thing, lol. I kind of felt the same way, and I was very reluctant to set it up because I was convinced it was something I wouldn't understand or be able to keep up. I finally had to have someone else set it up for me, I couldn't figure it out! But I rapidly found out that it's just basic data entry, and learning how to use it was not anywhere near as difficult or scary as I was afraid it would be. I also discovered what a great tool it is for helping get a handle on this disease!

Baby Girl Kitty is beautiful! I hope she is responding well to the insulin. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question, or ask for help (and we'll try not to be too overwhelming;)) Nobody was offended, or had their feelings hurt; we don't always realize how strongly we make our recommendations, and it's good to know so we can try to approach it a little less vehemently! :):bighug:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  9. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Thanks you for understanding. I know when I’m on overload I have to keep saying, to self “you can do this”! Then Baby shuns me & I don’t know if I can! She actually turns her head away from me. I hate to tell her but she can’t see me anymore anyway but she does it!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Squalliesmom
    I love your pic of that little tongue sticking out! Aren’t they just wonderful!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Squalliesmom

I love it when they do that, I think it's the kitty equivalent of "Talk to the hand!" lol!

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.