Gabapentin for seizures?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda and Bear Man, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Bear Man has had small focal seizures for some time, but recently they are worsening. They are now causing quite a violent shake of the head and tremors down the legs, and are increasing in frequency, as often as one every minute. He also has problems with circling. He has a long list of health problems and medications (see my profile). His most recent bloodwork shows that his potassium and electrolytes are pretty good, for him. I have not taken him for a neuro consult. I know his health is too frail to sedate him for any imaging of the head. The vet suggested a trial of Gabapentin for the seizures. I have read here on the board of it being used for pain, but not for seizures. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

Actually, in humans gabapentin is used as an anti-seizure medication (amongst a variety of other things such as nerve pain and migraine syndrome) so it may be worth at least a trial of it.

3. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

gabapentin's formal use is for epilepsy seizures/shingles pain. its off-label use is for nerve pain (very successful there).

i take it, and if i take the dose i need for nerve pain management i lose focus and have a hard time concentrating so i take a lower dose. its benefit for humans is that it's fully excreted by the 8 hour mark, so no worry about it staying in kidneys/liver. (don't know how fast it's fully processed in cats.) in other words, i have to take it every 8 hrs without fail or i lose the benefit because it's out of my system by then. but i appreciate a med that doesn't stay in the body.

i'd feel very safe about giving it to my cat. i haven't had one bad reaction from it beyond the problem concentrating at a high dose. and, weirdly enough, my cats are attracted to my gabapentin pills. i have to watch them carefully or they'll pilfer them.

if you want me to read you the contraindications from the package insert i'll put them here for you. you can probably find them online otherwise.

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Thank you Chris. I will surf for those.

5. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Sending PM...

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.