? Gabapentin safe????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gouda Cat, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gouda Cat

Gouda Cat Member

Is gabapentin ok to use in a diabetic cat? I mean ok for their BG? I don't want anything messing with Goudas BG. Anyone use it?

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

In our experience, it's been great. She gets a little loopy with it but it's better than when she doesn't have it and barely moves. Are you getting the compound oil or the dry powder?

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I use it for my civi, 50 mg twice daily. I get the the 100 mg capsules form local pharmacy and divide it in half and place it in capsules.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  4. Phoebes (GA)

Larry does your civvie get the doped reaction? I give phoebes 1/3 of pill 100 mg 2x a day and she walks drunk. Of course she gets bupe 3x day as needed, but hard to tell which one it is.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have not noticed on "dopped" behavior from Moxies when on the gabapentin

6. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Seems to make Bronx more tired (25mg 2x/day) but no negative affect on BG#s.

Gouda Cat likes this.
  7. Gouda Cat

Gouda Cat Member

I haven't gotten it yet, I still need to talk with the vet. And I wanted to give the Prozac the proper amount of time first before adding something. So I'm not sure which kind I'd try if he ends up needing it. I'm sure if it comes in capsule form I'd just do that? Thank you for your replies. Glad no negative effects on BGs.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  8. Phoebes (GA)

Mine comes in 100ml capsule, I split it into 1/3 and put powder on food. She eats it no problem.

Gouda Cat likes this.
  9. Gouda Cat

Gouda Cat Member

Great thank you!!!!

10. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

It concerns me that many people are splitting pills or capsules in order to try and get a reduced dose from a human form of a medication. Pills that are not scored (line through the pill) and capsules will not have the same amount of medication if the pill/capsule is split. An unscored pill or capsule has binders in it and separating these into 2 or 3 or 4 sections does not guarantee that the dose will be equal in all parts since the active ingredient and the binders are mixed together. Hypothetically you could be giving 1/4 of a pill or capsule and getting 80% of the medicational dose, while the other 3/4 has very little medication....this is only an example but a possibility. Please check with a pharmacist first before cutting pills or dividing capsules as to the safety of this practise.

"
    • Only split pills that are scored. Capsules and timed-release pills cannot be split and have ingredients remain in equal proportion.
    • A scored tablet indicates it can be split, but it does not mean it should be split. Discuss your medications with your health care provider and your pharmacist before splitting any tablets.
    • Pills that can be split are made that way to assure you receive appropriate dosing. Never split your pills to stretch a prescription. Taking less than the prescribed amount may make a medication ineffective. Always take your medication as directed."
    http://www.lhsfna.org/index.cfm/lifelines/march-2011/when-splitting-pills-beware-of-risks/

Gouda Cat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.