Gandalf 1/4 AMPS 140 1U

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

He be blue!! And he's still in the blue at +9.5 ~ 153. I left some medium carb (13% kcal) food in his feeder today "just in case," so it probably contributed to the higher nadir time result. But I'm happy with it. Changed our acu appointment to Wednesday and asked if she can do bloodwork afterwards and she said yes. Haven't decided yet, we'll see what he weighs and discuss. I trust the acu vet as much as our regular vet. She has not seen him for 3 weeks, so if she sees a major change in him and wonders about hyper-T too we will get the bloodwork.

Edited for typo.

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Wow, big change there. Go Gandalf!

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

He was 238 at PMPS. I am wondering if he's been in discomfort from his arthritis because the weather's been so cold. It's warm in the house, but I notice myself being very stiff in the morning especially. He gets up and walks around fine, but when I carried him in the bathroom he didn't get his back legs under him right and he "caught" himself after I put him on the counter top. He doesn't have neuropathy, but his back feet slide under him too easily now on the kitchen floor.

Just too many things to know what the heck causes spells of higher BGs. I know my playing around with dose doesn't help and was probably dumb.

4. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Tigger is stretching more than usual to get the kinks out from lack of exercise since it is so cold outside...not what he or Gandalf are used to, being cooped up. That has to have an impact. Also, the air is so dry in my house. I need a whole house humidifier! We keep talking about it but even a room size one would do.

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

[quote="pamela and tigger"

Tigger is stretching more than usual to get the kinks out from lack of exercise since it is so cold outside...not what he or Gandalf are used to, being cooped up. That has to have an impact. Also, the air is so dry in my house. I need a whole house humidifier! We keep talking about it but even a room size one would do.[/quote]

I saw that 911 icon and thought someone had emergency!! LOL.

Yeah, I noticed Gandalf lying like that Sunday and last night. Wondered if it meant something. He ate this morning when I got up. Still concerned he's getting enough to eat. I warm his raw food mix in warm water before giving it to him. And I skipped fluids last night because I need to start a new bag and can never seem to get new bags hot enough. He's not drinking as much water as he was Sunday.

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Yeah, my kitties have all found the warmest spots in the house - but not really figured out that they could all pile up on the down comforter and be REALLY toasty. I wonder if humidity (or lask if it) effects them. Mine all seem to be sneezing more (and I haven't started ripping out the carpet yet) that could be from dust and dry, staticy air.

Could being dehydrated cause higher BGs? I know it will effect the appetite, and with arthitic cats, it would probably effect their joints negatively.

7. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask about the dehydration and bg levels. I haven't researched this any further, but in a post I was reading on the old TT today where Robin (Nikita) quoted an article on DKA and its treatment, it was mentioned that when giving R insulin to a DKA patient that they don't give it sub-q, or in the muscle, but intravenously since the absorption of insulin can be decreased in dehydrated patients. Anyway, probably common knowledge to some people here as well as the vet techs, but not something I knew. Kind of interesting.

It is so cold this winter. Took Tigger outside so he could sniff around and pee. It was a short trip!

8. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

and it's gonna get colder this weekend. Brrrr.... I am getting tired of it even though it is only one week into January (not even).

Yes, interesting about insulin not being absorbed as well when dehydrated. Now I wonder if that is true of non-diabetics also? But maybe only for sub-Q administered meds, so not endogenous insulin.

Goos luck tomorrow with the Acu vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.