? Gapapentin for upcoming dental

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Gracie (GA), Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

Gracie is getting her dental next Thursday. This is her first dental and I'm a little nervous to say the least.

It is not being done by a "dental professional" , but a RVT with a vet overseeing. My prior vets office had a dental professional, but I fired that office over a week ago. Back story here.

This office does not offer Bupe like my prior office which concerns me, as it is what I am most familiar with. My vet may be willing to send it over to a pharmacy.

My feline has transdermal codeine that I'm giving her right now. The new vet said she uses Gabapentin. I work in a hospital and we use this for seizures and not for pain. So, I'm a little concerned.

Should I ask for Bupe instead? or has anyone used Gabapentin for pain in cats

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Phoebe takes 50mg 2x a day for antiinflammatory properties and pain for her ibd and pancreatitis. It works really well. She was sleepy about a week then boom, all natural.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My Moxie takes 50 mg twice daily for arthritis/joint problems (in addition to Cosequin and Adequan). She has been on the Gab for over two years. The vet also dispenses it for post dental work.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Do you notice a big difference with the Gab in addition to the adequan

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I started with Cosequin, then added Gab and then added the Adequan. With each I saw improvement with the most being the Adequan with second the Gab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.