Garfield and weruva

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cassandra & Garfield, Jan 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassandra & Garfield

Cassandra & Garfield Member

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

From Dr. Pierson’s food chart:

“I often see diabetic cat caregivers taking this value far too literally...assuming that 6% vs 9% is statistically significant when it is not...... The carb values noted on this chart are probably higher (overestimating) than they actually are. Even a value of 10% carbs could actually be closer to 0% carbs. Therefore, stick with the directive to stay below 10% carbohydrates but do NOT get caught up in whether a diet says 10%...or 5%....or 0% because these numbers are just not that accurate”

Cassandra & Garfield likes this.
  3. Cassandra & Garfield

Thank you very much! :)

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cassandra
    I used to feed Sheba Weruva sometimes, although she mainly got homemade diet.
    She loved them.
    I found anyof the cans under10% were fine.
    There were several in the 1-10% carb range.

5. Cassandra & Garfield

Hi Bron! Thanks!

Im looking forward to the lower phosphore level in the weruvas, the friskies are so high :(

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Did you go into the Weruva website? It has the phosphorus levels for all the food.
    Another way to lower the phosphorus levels and still have the high protein is to mash up a cooked egg white into the food.
    Egg white has no phosphorus but is high in excellent protein. I used to mash up 1/2 cooked egg white into Shebas food every day.
    Some cats won't eat it but it's a good way to up the protein and lower the phosphorus.

You might be interested in this thread.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/home-prepared-diet-of-crd-cats.150441/

7. Cassandra & Garfield

Thank you very much! Yes I have the phosohorus levels for weruva the ones I found are between 165-190 phosphorus which I think is ok

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes those levels are good. By adding some Cooked egg white you can lower them further if needed.

9. Cassandra & Garfield

Thank you very much ! ❤️

10. Cassandra & Garfield

Do we have any idea how much of the phosphore it reduces? If I were to mix egg whites to my friskies that have 350 of phosphore. Would that be enough or im better off reducing and then adding?

11. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If you are going to introduce egg whites to your cat, I suggest doing so with a TINY amount. I tried it with my Willow, and she had a very negative reaction to it. I tried twice, once scrambled and once boiled. She started vomiting within a few minutes both times, and the second time (which I tried to see if the first time was a fluke), she wandered around restlessly vomiting for at least 15 minutes. I ended up giving her Cerenia.

It's a shame because it is a really good source of protein. I hope it works for you.

12. Cassandra & Garfield

Thank you very much! Yes If I give him any I will do so gradually :)

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I had no issues with Sheba eating the cooked egg white. She occasionally left a bit but she was never ill from it. I used to mash it then mix into the food. I hard boiled the eggs.
    I agree, I would add it gradually.

as far as the amount it would reduce the friskies phosphorus I doubt half an egg white would reduce the phosphorus enough. It would depend on how much friskies was fed with the egg white.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Either of those foods is good. :)

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

16. Cassandra & Garfield

Thread Status: