Gator, how is H?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Just checking to see how H is doing today. Hoping he is feeling better and back up to his old tricks. :)

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

He's doing OK. We spent a lot of time reading together earlier today. He seems to be feeling OK - purring a little last night. I just weighed him and he's 6.50Kg, so he's lost at least 150g - not horrible, I was expecting worse. His eating is not currently robust I think just enough to keep him about even. Historically the appetite waxes and wanes - the best thing I can do is not get too wrapped up in it. I've continued the Pepcid just in case it might help reduce any vomiting currently - I've never been sold on it's effectiveness with H but supposedly it is a H2 histamine blocker and I guess the lymphoma releases all sorts of histamines. And the vomiting has on occasion made keeping his pills down a problem - and he needs all his pills right now.

This lymphoma thing is a tough issue. I posted over in the lymphoma group and one of the responses was that he felt H's lymphoma was out of control and needed more aggressive chemo. Of course I opted for the chemo 'light' when we started all of this because I've seen what chemo 'full' can do to a cat with H's mother - not what I would have wished for her last days. Another response was talking about her kittie's feeding tube that was installed for/during the chemo. A feeding tube for a one way trip is a tough sell for me. All I can say is that with the aggressive [large cell] type of lymphoma H has, we've been pretty lucky to get this far and H has had only a couple episodes where he seemed genuinely sick or in pain [the pain most likely from a P attack before I started doing the Home Cooked to reduce the fat in his diet]. I'm not sure what caused the latest round but I'm lucky that I have the various tools to work with including the LRS, Cerenia and now the buprenorphine trick up my sleeve.

Thank you for asking and I'm feeling a bit better too now that he has seeming stabilized.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better. I assume you are using all of the treats possible, but just in case. Sarah called Liv-a-littles chicken "kitty crack". And that's what it is at my house. Anyone doesn't want to eat, sprinkle a little on the food and it's gone. I've had a civie try to crawl up my leg to get it.

I hope H continues to improve and that the lymphoma slows. ((((Hydrogen))))

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Gator, I presume you have already considered alternative med formats to pills - shots, chewies, flavored liquids, etc., but wanted to mention it just in case. When Trixie (my kitty who also had GI lymphoma) was on a lot of pills (and hating me for it), I discovered some alternatives that worked well for her. Pred did not make a good injectable, but it does work well as a chewy treat (if they'll eat that), and I found some other injectables did work well. I know you probably know more about all that angle than I do :) but mentioning it just in case...

Glad to hear he has stabilized, that is good news!!!! :D

5. Gator & H (GA)

We've been doing the FortiFlora thing recently [he does like it a lot]. I'm not super comfortable with it because it has supplements in it and H's diet is balanced already. That on I just noticed that it has beta-carotene in it which, as I understand, cats are unable to process like humans are into vitamin A - so seems odd that it's in there.

I've also looked into artificial flavorings before. http://flavorx.com is one of the main manufacturers but they no longer sell direct to the public. The other is a compounding pharmacy association. Valley drug & compounding would not sell me any without prescription - silly. Anyway, this route is something I've never seemed to get around to actually trying.

Currently, H is not even eating all the dry food I leave out which I interpret as an appetite issue vs a preference issue.

The Live-a-little thing seems like something I can basically agree with and I will get some pronto.

Thanks for your ideas.

6. Gator & H (GA)

Thank you Joanna. H is a super-trooper when it comes to all the torture I inflict on him. Pilling is definitely his least favorite but we actually do really well with it. The most important pills are his Leukeran/chlorambucil and his prednisilone. The chlorambucil is probably the most important because he gets in only every 4 days - so a missed day is a bigger deal. I can ask if there is an injectable for it but I doubt it. The Cerenia come as injectable and pills - and it's important to get it as injectable [especially for dosing cats since it is supposed to be a dog drug].

Why did the pred not work out well as an injectable?

The pilling is twice per day. Lately we've been doing up to 4-5 pills at once [pred, pepcid, metro, cypro] and he seems fine with it. I think he actually dislikes the water chaser the most [I do 2x 3ml - slowly]. But anyway, just getting as many pills done at once I think helps not having to individually stick each one down his craw. I've found that there are just certain ways that I can hold him or touch him that kind of work on his reflexes more than me having to force things on him.

He's such as good cat - and been so amazing though all of this. His great attitude really help me get what I got to get done for him.

7. Sarah and Buzz

Regarding the Liv A Littles: refrigerate after opening. It says so right on the container but I didn't notice it until today (at least a week after opening). Oops.

Also sign up for Halo's email club to get discounts. You can also check their website to see if they have about-to-expire Liv A Littles for half price.

Glad H is stabilized some and that you are doing better as well. You amaze me with all you do for H. He is really fortunate to have you.

8. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I'm glad H is doing better too. I believe you love H as much as any mama could.

9. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Glad to hear you boys are doing a little better! I hope things continue on the up track.
    btw- are you a florida fan, or does the nickname come from somewhere else?

10. Gator & H (GA)

Not a Florida fan. It comes from the name of a tow truck driver. I thought it was a good name, a curious name. I mean, was is a given name or a chosen name? By the end of it all I had more questions than answers. So I guess that's why I honor that dude.

I am a Trojan fan, but a nick based on that could be taken wrong I think...

11. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

LOL! Yeah, that might not be a great idea for a nickname.

Glad to hear H is starting to feel a little bit better.

12. Sarah and Buzz

If Gator was a given name, this dude's parents were MESSED UP.

13. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

I was curious 'cause DH went to Florida and Depaul--
    Talk about inappropriate nicknames, I went to U of I Chicago--our mascot is the 'Flame' which, of course gets changed by college students to something derogatory!
    That tow truck driver sounds like he was quite the character:)

14. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

The pred I got as an injectable didn't stay mixed up well - even once you shook it it would be setlling before you could get the shot in, really it was a total mess. I saw someone else post something similar on Health a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure with mine if it was just mixed wrong (came from a vets not a pharmacy) or if Pred just doesn't do well that way. I had good success though with getting it as a liquid from a compounding pharmacy.

With that & Pepcid, I also at times did my own sort of compounding crushing it (or dissolving in water 1st, though I've always wondered if that affects its oomph?) & mixing with a little baby food - neither of those meds seems to have a strong taste from what I could tell, so that usually went over well. Sometimes I would oral syringe it in if needed, with a little baby food to sweeten the deal.

15. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

I'm glad to hear that he is feeling better.

FlavorX is super high in sugar. There's a lower sugar variety that cats don't generally like so I don't think you are missing out...

My favorite way to get pills into cats who can't be pilled (or who are getting lots of pills) is to crush with a mortat and pestal (assuming that it is a pill that is OK to crush) and mix with 1 tsp beef-flavored baby food. Most cats will just eat it. If not, you can syringe it down... just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.