Gave Harry First Aerokat Treatment

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by chriscleo, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

It wasn't too bad. He's been fighting the mask so this time i burritoed him. Never done that before--they can still squirm pretty well. Guess I'll have to do it more like a real burrito next time.

Thank goodness for the aerokat -- it makes the whole thing so much easier. Only problem is that he doesn't fit either mask. The tiny mask doesn't fully cover his mouth, but the medium sized mask includes the bottoms of his eyes and I don't want to get the spray in there. So it's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

He got Temptations afterward so he was acting very sweet and not resentful of the burrito-ing and inhaler. :)

[Harry has asthma -- and IBD, arthritis, and hyperT]

2. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats w/Harry's first Aerokat treatment.

It can be a challenge helping our kitties make friends with the Aerokat mask. But the inhaled treatment works very well. Good for you and Harry for getting that first dose underway.

My Curry was dx w/asthma about 1.5 years ago and did well until this summer when I had to start using a portable AC which pulled in the air from outside. I upped her dose and she hasn't coughed since.

Curry was dx w/the diabetes 2 days ago.....and just started the insulin yesterday.

Good luck w/the Aerokat. Ask if you have any questions. The Feline Asthma group is also great for specific asthma related questions. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feli ... haledmeds/

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

chris - I misunderstood you before, anyway, try this - use the larger mask and smoosh it down so it is below his eyes - it may be awkward to hold it this way, but it may be the best - or if you can fit the small mask over his nose and not fully cover mouth - that's ok - as he is breathing through the nose.

experiment with them and see which fits/feels the best.

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

You don't need to completely cover his mouth, use whichever mask fits most comfortably on his face without risking getting the meds into his eyes. I would use the smaller one if the larger one covers his eyes. It doesn't have to be completely air tight, just get it so it is making contact all the way around the mask if possible. As long as the little flap is moving with his breathing, the meds are getting delivered. :smile:

5. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Aww sending Angels to help with Harry`s treatment hope all goes well and it will Kath

6. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Chris, how's it going today with Harry? Is he on a short course of pred? Any reduction in his symptoms?

don't forget to keep the house A/C filter changed and ideally get the kind that filters out the pollen, mold, etc.

hugs,
    laur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.