George new to diabetes & at home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren Gates, Feb 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren Gates

Lauren Gates Member

Hi everyone!

I am new to the feed, my cat was just diagnosed with diabetes about 3 weeks ago.
    It was a traumatic experience as the diagnosed followed him going into dka.. he spent 4 days in the animal hospital and is now doing alot better!

We have been visiting our regular vet and they have given him 2 glucose curves now, the first curve they upped his dosage from 1U 2x a day to 2u 2x a day. My vet recommended testing his glucose at home, she asked me to test him in the morning before feeding, right after feeding before the insulin and an hour after.

THIS HAS BEEN VERY TOUGH. George does not like the constant pricking and as he was doing okay before he is now trying to twitch and move which is making the blood testing very hard... I am doing okay with the pricking now, I found warming up the ear has helped alot, but I am having issues with him keeping calm..
    Any tips?
    He loves catnip so I am wondering if this could calm him down before without skewing the numbers?

Also he is a treat lover but I know some treats are not healthy for him, any healthy treats I can give him after as a reward for doing good?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

catnip is fine, but most cats get super excited at first before the "effects" hit them hard enough to send them into Lala land so I'm not sure it would work the way you wanted

Any freeze dried protein source is fine or even just a plain piece of baked chicken. As long as the only ingredient is a protein source, it's low carb. The PureBites treats are favorites here as well as the Orijen freeze dried treats. You'll also save by buying the dog ones....they're cheaper per ounce and are just a bigger size. You can break them into smaller pieces if necessary

jayla-n-Drevon and Lauren Gates like this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB Glad you found us!
    Theres a wealth of info here and the only stupid question is the one not asked. We get it. ;)

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Tips galore on home testing can be found here: Hometesting Links and Tips - includes numerous links, instructions, pictures, & videos

2 of my favorites from within that link are:
    Marje and Gracie's Testing and Shooting Tips

Ear Testing Psychology

Any kind of pure protein treat will work. Freeze dried, fresh meat or fish, little bits of cheese.
    Treats can also be something non-food. Chin scritchies, petting, brushing. Something your cat loves.

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.