Getting another meter......

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jenjen00, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenjen00

jenjen00 Member

I am needing to get another meter. My vet says the one I have is bad and is giving me wrong readings. I am thinking about the accu check avia (sp). Does anyone have this one that likes it? I did buy the Walgreens trutest and it seems to be bad.

thx
    Jen :coffee:

2. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

I'm new here but I bought the Bayer contour and really like it. It was $20 at rite Aid and came with lancets and 10 strips. I bought 50 strips from rite aid for ~$60-something but have since found them online (amazon) at ~$55 for 100.

In vet practice, I used the accu-chek and freestyle. The freestyle was OK so long as you get the "comfort curve" strips. The accu-chek needed a "hanging drop", IIRC.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

This might help u decide on a good meter.

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd5ck ... on=_latest

whatever u decide, don't fall for the AlphaTrack meter if ur vet suggests it, the Alpha Track is very expensive, strips are only available at a vets office or online.
    Any human meter with the average to best ratings on this link (with the exception of anything that starts with "True") would be fine.

If u notice the Relion meter is up there, it is inexpensive, strips as well, and many here use it.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

What meter are you using now?

5. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

I bought the Reli-ON micro and it seems to work really well wiht very little blood. Considering I am very very new to taking blood, it ws super easy. The meter was 9 bucks, the lancets were 4 bucks, and a pack of 50 strips was 22. Not too bad on the wallet.

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

alot of people here use the aviva and love it. i've used it a few times for hometesting lessons and thought the meter itself was a bit bulky to handle but then again, i'm used to my itty bitty freestyle flash :)

economically Walmart's Relion is probably the best and a lot of people here use it too and recommend it.

as far as the true test goes i think that is the one that i haven't heard much good about, it was either that one or the true track. maybe someone else can confirm that for us.

7. jenjen00

jenjen00 Member

Thanks everyone for the information. I did not take anya's blood before her shot today since the meter seems to not work. I guess I will take her blood at the 6 hr mark or should I take it sooner?

Thanks

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Home Diagnostics makes the "True" meters
    http://www.prestigesmartsystem.com/

True 2Go, True Result, True Track, True Balance and True Read

All I know and have heard and read is that yes- inexpensive, but not the best for accuracy.
    I have the True Track myself as a last resort back up meter, but after everything I've heard, I'll stick to the Freestyle as a back up.
    My meter of choice is the One Touch, pricey strips, but it was worth it.

One thing u need to remember - whatever meter u pick - stick with it or as every says "you'll drive yourself crazy" and always have a back up,
    at least a reliable back up meter.

EDIT TO ADD: since u have no AMPS number before u shot, u may want to get a +1, shooting blindly is not safe, can u post any test number u got with the meter u used? At least even it wasn't the most accurate, u have a preshot number.

9. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I like the Maxima AST from www.hocks.com

requires a tiny amount of blood (0.5 microliters) and the test strips cost $15 per 50ct when you buy 6 at a time (300 == $90)

10. cjleo

cjleo Member

You asked about Accuchek Aviva. I have 7 of them: 1 for me, 1 for each of my 5 diabetic cats and 1 for backup - just in case. I love the AccuChek products and have used them since 1980.

I've tried several other meters and keep returning to the Aviva. Strips are pricey, but the feel of the machine in my hand when I'm trying to test a fractious kitty is great.

Good luck,

Claudia

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Actually, the Reli-On, at least their regular meter, not the micro, is a good meter. Is your vet basing it on the numbers he gets and comparing them to what you get? If so, is he allowing for increase due to vet stress?

12. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

The Aviva definitely doesn't need a "hanging drop." That must be an earlier Accu-Chek meter or some other meter entirely.

13. ceil99

ceil99 Member

I have the Walgreens trutest and LOVE it. Maybe exchange it for another one?

14. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I love this meter and the cost. When I first Started everything cost me about $50 us dollars to start home testing since i am on a budget. Spicey appreciates the small blood sample compared to the .6 ml one.

David

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I am new to testing and have been testing for a week with the True Track. I learned from reading this message board that it was not highly rated for accuracy, so I ordered the Relion Ultima from Walmart's website. I expect to receive it today or early next week. When I get the Relion I plan to test it and the True Track on myself (and on my husband) and compare the readings. Our cat (Stu) hates being tested, so I am reluctant to put him through a trial run. Any thoughts on this approach to determining the differences between meters? Thanks!
    Ella & Stu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.