Getting bloodwork at vet tomorrow for glucose recheck - question!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joely0128, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joely0128

Joely0128 New Member

Rudy is doing amazing after going to an all soft food diet the past 2 eeks. I think he's lost a few lbs, his fur is super soft with no matts, and he's back to his normal self! The box is so much better, no massive water drinking anymore either.

I pray that the change in just food has resolved the glucose issue, but I'm supposed to bring him back to vet tech tomorrow for blood recheck.

My question is, should he go to the vet without having eaten? I don't want anything to effect his true accurate #. I normally feed him at 5P, the vet visit isn't until 7:20P.

Thanks for your advice!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Well, we normally take up food two hours before the pre-shot glucose test so the number will not be impacted by food. So, you would probably be good taking up food two hours or so before the appointment.

I hope it goes well!

3. Barneys dad

Barneys dad Member

2 Hour min but what did the vet say? Mine wanted the cat 8 to 10 hours after the morning feed. ( 12 hr feed/ shot cycle) I would call the vets office and ask them. my vet did more than prick the cats ear for blood he drew a blood sample on the follow up visit because he was checking more than just the sugar so check first on what the vet needs.

4. Joely0128

Joely0128 New Member

Vet is checking his glucose not from ear but true blood test. They told me he could eat but gave me no timeframe??! I think I will just have him wait to eat till after the test is done to be safe.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If you are just worried about the food impacting his glucose level, make sure he does not have food at least two hours before the visit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.