Getting Harley Regulated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

A big thanks to squeem3 for getting Harley's profile up and running. I am now ready to attempt getting Harley regulated. He is on 6.5 units lantus AM and 6 units PM. The vet thought a lower dose PM was better as I was waking up to bg's in the 50's. Tomorrow I will do a bg curve, checking every 2 hours. Should I do one over the night also. Any suggestions to help me get him regulated would be appreciated.

Pattie

2. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Hi Pattie,

My vet is a strong believer in exercise, getting kitties muscles moving helps in the absorption and usage of insulin. Exercise can take the form of interactive playing, such as chasing a flashlight or laser, swimming in circles a child's pool or the bath tub (if kitty will tolerate that). I have trained Tananda to walk on a treadmill, she has three 6 minute sessions a day and actually looks forward to walking. Tandy meows at the basement door for me to allow her access to the cellar, goes down the steps and jumps onto the treadmill and waits patiently for me to turn it on. All of this has made a big difference in Tandy's overall health as well as helping to regulate her diabetes.

Good Luck
    Terri & Tananda

3. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi, Pattie,

Have you tried posting regularly in the Lantus forum? I believe there are some people there who are knowledgeable about IBD, and it's a great community for Lantus users. I'm interested that you're using a different dose at night than in the morning; I always thought the two doses were supposed to be the same. But sounds like Harley has some special conditions -- and you are doing an amazing job taking care of him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.