Getting numbers settled.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by TempestsMum, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok so think I'm getting there but not quite ready to let go of the lifeboat just yet. Tempest sends purrs and thanks too!

Going to check in AMPS & PMPS to make sure I'm doing the dosing right. Thanks for your patience and input.
    My brother (I owe him so much money lol) has ordered the syringes Alexi recommended so .25u will be easier for me when they arrive.

Amps was 360 and I gave 1/2 u will come home at lunch for a bg check as working today.

MrWorfMen's Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Sounds good! :)

3. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Pmps argh high again. 482! Given 1/2 unit.

Spoke to my vet again today about the low number the other night. And it was suggested 1/2 a unit once a day.. I didn't think a once a day shot would work!! Had to chuckle as was asked for bg numbers.. After being told not to bother. Anyway sticking to the sliding dose as recommended! Sadly didn't get a nadir reading at lunch. :( will get one @ 3+ Tonight.

Just to note feeding Sheba fine flakes in jelly that I got yesterday and she's finally starting to eat again rather than just plain chicken fillets. Maybe that has something to do with the higher numbers.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You are right. Once a day usually doesn't work because of the cat's fast metabolism. Once a day dosing usually leads to a roller coaster ride of highs and lows for the cat when the goal is to keep them in as normal a range as possible for as many hours a day as possible.

I am not familiar with that food. Do you know the carb % in the Sheba? If Tempest has been eating plain chicken fillets, there may very well be more carbs in the Sheba that she is reacting to and if that's the case, it might also account for those lower numbers. This is the challenge sometimes when kitty gets finicky and suddenly doesn't want the food they normally eat.

I'd watch her for a day or so on the Sheba and if need be, you can always up the insulin a bit.

TempestsMum likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Hopefully Tempest will clear the bounce shortly. This is now 6 cycles since that 50 so if she read the manual :rolleyes: she should be clearing the bounce.

Funny with your vet asking YOU for the numbers. Once a vet sees the spreadsheets and how the CG is doing they often are quite impressed. The first time I e-mailed my S/S to the vet..just before an appointment..she told me she loved the colour coding and it gave such a good picture on how my kitty was doing and this was after she said that maybe I shouldn't home test as much :banghead:

TempestsMum likes this.
  6. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yes it's on the uk food list, I got a mc food as well and a high carb in gravy just in case. I am feeding the poultry selection as from yesterday. Today is the first I've seen her eat much she ate a whole pouch!
    image.jpeg

7. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

:joyful: I had to pause for a moment to let it sink in as they were so against me doing it in the first place! So I brought up my ss and off we went lol thankfully I was on the phone or they would have seen my expression! Haha there's hope yet maybe!

I hope she does I did make a mistake yesterday with her food though after just reading through that list.. and she got med carb at one point she didn't eat it all but it probably didn't help... :/

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I laughed at my vet about the SS too. The first time I showed her, she asked what all the colours were and I was so new I really didn't know if there was a real meaning to them or if it was just to show patterns (which it is) and then told me I didn't need to test as much too! Fast forward and the last time I took a copy with me to Menace's yearly exam, vet wanted to keep the hard copy to show others! Thought it was the cat's meow! :rolleyes:

TempestsMum and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  9. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Not sure it will ever come to that!

Ok so we are crashing again!!! 77 at +3 :(

10. Ruby&Baco

Hi Tara, I think maybe the dosis is a little to high because the preshot nr is 26.8 and now +3 4.3mmol. Maybe start the next dosis lower, 0.25u? And stick with it for 3 cycles ? And I think the bouncing will stick now for a couple cycles, I see Tempest is a little all over the place :rolleyes: hihi. It happens! No worries, just need to get Tempest steady with a dose that is great for both pre shot numbers..

TempestsMum likes this.
  11. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hello and thanks for jumping in! We just started the insulin last week, it's been so hard to get it right, we thought a sliding scale would work a bit better for her, Ie shoot 0.25 at 250 or under and 1/2 u over 300 .. Wondering if the new food is causing it?

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  12. Ruby&Baco

It can be the food, I do know Sheba but never used it with my kitty Baco (i give her raw food) but it can be the food.
    One week? That's good, the numbers can be all over the place, the body needs to get used to the insulin. Sliding scale can help but because you just started I wouldn't recommend it because you haven't got a lot of data yet. If you stick to a dose for 3 cycles (only if the numbers are shootable ofcourse and not too low) than you can stick to a dose. If you try a lower dose than you will probably get 2 shootable pre shot numbers and that can keep the numbers stable, I hope it makes sense? :)

13. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yes 5 days, and I'm not sure I can manage another sleepless night :( ...

My syringes should be here tomorrow (I hope) with easier markings to give lower doses. But now I've to start from the beginning again? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

14. Ruby&Baco

Hey Tara, you can do this okay? We all had those days/nights/weeks. But why can't you sleep? You need some sleep! Please lower the dose as from tomorrow so it can give you a more safe feeling and then you can get some rest okay? I had the same in the beginning with Baco (my kitty) i was constantely worried about her, and if she wasn't giving me a hypo or something in the middle off the night, I know it's scary... But if you lower the dose you can easily get some sleep, you sound like you need it Tara!
    I see you life in the UK, so it's past 12:00AM now I think right? Please, give Tempest some high carbfood so his numbers will go up and you can have a decent sleep.
    We will talk tomorrow okay? If you need any advice, people are online 24/7 here. And i'm here on 'your' time because I life in the netherlands so it's 1 hour later here!
    @Marlena is also in UK so is around at our time.
    :bighug:

Marlena likes this.
  15. Ruby&Baco

What do you mean by this?

16. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Need to make sure she is ok - Tempest that is. I can't just give food and go sleep I would be worrying and wouldn't sleep anyway. I will go test her again she's eaten some of her low carb food about 20 minutes ago as it was in her bowl.

It's 11.30pm here at the minute. So not too bad.

That she just finished a bounce and is now going to bounce again.

17. Ruby&Baco

No I didn't meant to go to sleep after giving food, ofcourse test indeed but if the numbers go up you can catch some sleep.
    Oh that's what you mean, she was bouncing indeed and probably can again because of this big drop from being in 20s going all the way down to 4.3. If you get 3 test every 20 minutes and she goes up in numbers you can give yourself some rest, if you know what i mean!

18. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ahh ok I wondered about that.
    Yep so back to the beginning again now, I'm really discouraged. I seem to take a step forward and then take two back.
    I don't think she will allow a test every 20 minutes but am going now to do one so that will be 1 hour since the 77 as it takes me a while to do it - she's not keen on the ear prick bless her!

19. Ruby&Baco

I get that you are discouraged Tara, we all have been in the beginning. But please give yourself some slack here, you're doing great with Tempest and you will get there but insulin is not a wonder thing that works instantely and gives you great numbers (for example check Baco's ss, it wasn't great the first weeks, almost only high numbers and couldn't get it down) it needs to be worked by the cats body in combination with the food (low carb) and give it some time then you will get there.
    You're doing great Tara!
    I get that Tempest isn't fond off the ear prick haha but they will get used to it, some quicker than others.
    I will keep an eye out on your topic, for now i'm going to sleep, almost 1am here.. Have a good night Tara, get some sleep! :bighug:

20. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you for your support Ruby :) she's gone up .3 so hoping it continues I've given her more low carb food now. :bighug:

21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like she is headed up slowly when it is great. Those two greens are very nice numbers. If she continues up, you should be able to get some sleep tonight?

Yes, she seems to be bouncing for preshots, but in general, for most of the cycle, she is in good numbers. I know it feels like a roller coaster, but she is trending down and looking good!

22. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yes when she hits blue I will be ok with that, my thought was that as she's on her way down and has two hours yet to drop to nadir it will take small amounts of food to keep her up? I went for the low carb this time instead of reaching straight for the strong stuff in the hopes it will cause less of a bounce and give me truer numbers? Or maybe not? I'm thinking that's logical and felt that at 77 I had a bit of leeway? (Sure hope I'm right...

Should I stick with the sliding scale or drop her to .25 for 3 or 4 days, get some stabilisation happening and adjust from there? Again seems logical to me but I don't know enough yet to be certain about these kinds of calls.. My syringes should be here tomorrow or the next day so it would mean I could adjust by tiny increments if I can just get a couple of baseline days.

23. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, I'd continue to give her little bits of regular food. You want three rising tests.

Lowering the dose to 0.25 would be fine for the pinks. 0.5 looks like it worked well for the red pmps.

You get to choose. You can slow this down, giving less insulin that likely will result in a little higher/flatter midcycle numbers. Or you can be a little more agressive, getting her in lower numbers. That approach will likely mean more tests and less sleep, but might mean faster remission. There is no right or wrong approach - it is what you are comfortable with.

24. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

See to me that was a massive drop, too fast from the red pmps? I'm not getting this too well as in understanding it I think, don't I want a slow steady drop?

I see patterns in her cycles but they don't look like good ones to me?

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It was a pretty fast drop. But if she will slowly rise and stay in nice numbers, it isn't bad. Yes, ideal is a slow drop and a slow rise. But they seldom do the ideal.:p The more she gets used to the insulin and her body learns how to use it, the more "normal" her numbers will be. At this point, I just don't want you to miss that she is in good numbers generally, on a tiny dose of insulin. Yes, it is nerve wracking because she doesn't always react the way we would think she might or want, but she is in good ranges and doing well.

26. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

lol 'they seldom do the ideal' swear this kitty is going to be the death of me I'm sure that's now 20 years off my life! See I'm glad you said that, when I'm looking at her numbers they look dreadful to me! I've been looking at people's ss's and hers looks awful compared to others. Although to be fair (hope I don't jinx this) she's not often in the red (thank goodness)

I know it will vary from cat to cat but generally whats the average time it takes for cats to get used To insulin?

I will have to go retest it's been about an hour since her last one.

27. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It is that pesky "Every cat is different" thing. Some seem to settle in early, some bounce for a long time.

TempestsMum likes this.
  28. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Lol yeah I just hoped for some idea. We are in the blues now thank goodness and slowly but steadily rising so think I'm safe to sleep.

Sharon14 likes this.
  29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Nice. Sleep well.

TempestsMum likes this.
  30. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad you're getting some sleep! She really is looking good, Tara. Trust us. Some cats arrive here in high numbers that last for the whole cycle...She is going down during her cycles. Sure, maybe a little faster than we want, but she is responding to the insulin and that's good. As Sue said, this is your choice...you hold the syringe. In the end, you HAVE to be comfortable with what you give.

TempestsMum likes this.
  31. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Hello girls,
    I'm sorry but I did not see your post and wasn't aware that Ruby tagged me.
    Let me just quickly read the post and I will offer some support after.:bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  32. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Now I've had a bit of sleep. I think I'm looking at it the wrong way, I assumed that I had to get a gradual reduction to yellows and blues before the blues and greens or something. And to get it stabilised faster rather than be aggressive about it.. So I got that wrong. I'm still desperately trying to avoid hypos the thought scares the Xyz! Out of me.

So she's in the black. Which is new. Or is this still the bouncing? I'm going to give the 1/2 again this morning and try to check her at lunch - although depends on how busy it is at work but will do my best or at the very least look in on her even if I don't have enough time to test.
    I will leave a pouch of low carb food out for her while I'm at work so she has it. I've noticed she seems to eat more when her numbers come down quickly.

Marlena likes this.
  33. Marlena

Dear Tara,
    I totally understand your emotional state.
    To put it in perspective - I was like that and most of the members who treat their cats so we know how you feel!
    I would like to suggest that you write a big note and place it in a visible place in your house : IT IS GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT BUT IT WILL TAKE TIME!
    Try to find some ways of realising your stress because when you in an emotional roller coaster you kitty would sense that and you won't be able to think rationally.
    I've been dealing with Rocky's diabetes for over 2 years and he was in remission twice, last bout of FD is a year long battle but it looks like we are heading in the right direction now.
    As other members mentioned there is no average here: ECID and there are surprises all the way through to remission. Please look at spreadsheets of other cats, it will give you an insight how different things can be.
    Tara, I think that one of the most important things, when you first start treating your cat is to be aware that you really don't know how your cat's biology is going to use insulin so the idea is to slowly introduce insulin and observe what happens. I think sticking with 0.25 units for 6 cycles (3 days) in the beginning is a sensible one. When your cat drops to below 3.7 on AlphaTrak it means that the dose might be too high and you will see a bounce next day which can last for next couple of days. You should take action and lower the dose despite the high numbers during the bounce. If your cat doesn't drop much on a given dose and you don't see a very low nadir and you still get high numbers next day or so it might mean that your cat is still bouncing but from the numbers which are lower that the cat is used to and you can ignore the bounce and either carry with the dose or slightly increase it. So basically your cat has to get used to lower numbers brought on by providing exogenous insulin. During this journey you will see different numbers and patterns but sometimes it does not make sense, sometimes we simply don't know what's going on. That's why we need to do things slowly.
    Tara, read as much as you can on this website, the information here is invaluable and will make you more confident. We are here to help you make decisions so you're not on your own - ask as many questions as you need to.
    Tara, breath, count to 1000 or watch comedy just to help you to stay in a positive frame of mind! I know how difficult it is, my life has been turned upside down because of my cats diabetes!
    Lots of hugs to everybody
    Marlena & Rocky:cat::cat::cat:

TempestsMum likes this.
  34. Marlena

Tara,
    it looks like classic bounce! Don't worry, now we need time, we need to wait for the bounce to clear - few days of biting your nails!
    It looks to me that Tempest is a low dose kitty, maybe the 0.5 u is too high?
    Let's wait and see.

TempestsMum likes this.
  35. Marlena

Tara, a concept of "bounce" as we call it here is quite difficult to accept but it is a normal reaction. It is a protective function. When an organism sense something artificially and exogenously interfering with its function the natural process of counteracting it takes place.
    So, by giving insulin and lowering the glucose, you create a different state for your cat and because prior to treatment your cat's glucose was high and now it's much lower the body thinks there is a problem and starts to counteract and produce more glucose until it accepts that there is no threat and everything balances itself. That's a very simplistic way of explaining the process but we don't want to be too technical, the idea is to actually grasp and accept that this is more less what's happening.
    So breath and ask and read and etc ...
    Hugs:bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  36. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

@Marlena thank you! I'm leaving for work right now but will reply when I get a chance or when I get home from work this evening. You are right I do feel a bit like this! :smuggrin: image.gif

Sharon14, Ruby&Baco and Marlena like this.
  37. Marlena

I know Tara, I feel for you but I also feel very positive that you'll manage FD very well and get your kitty healthy again in no time! Fingers and paws crossed!
    :kiss::kiss::kiss:

TempestsMum and Ruby&Baco like this.
  38. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like a bounce to me!

TempestsMum likes this.
  39. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

So now I need to decide on dosing tonight, she's @ 356 pmps - I checked her at lunchtime and she was in good form, had something to eat and no sign of her dropping low @+3.5 although I didn't get time to measure her bg... and she's finally eating! She had lunch today as well, and now I'm loathe to change from 0.50u because she's got that 5 times in a row now and is coming down. Another adjustment at this stage I'm not sure about? Do I shoot the .50u...
    I'm off for the next 2 days so can monitor her this evening later.

40. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

@Marlena
    It's not just kitty that's got me stressed right now. Lol my whole life is a melting pot of Stress unusually so. It will calm down in time I just have to get through these big things and everything else is waiting a bit, unless it's urgent.

I got home from work and read a good bit, it seems to be many folk are of the opinion of treating it aggressively at the beginning to get faster remission.
    I'm understanding more about the bouncing thing I think. So if I read it correctly if the cat bounces on one dose it's because it's body used to higher numbers and if you give more insulin it causes the cats body to counteract it and bring the numbers back to where it's body is used to.
    Therefore you need to allow the cats system to get used to the insulin bringing the numbers down artificially.
    So giving the lower dose means it allows the bounce to happen while still keeping insulin in the cats system or something along those lines.

I'm hoping so too! Providing I don't mess up!

Ok going with the 0.25 since she's pink :)

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Either dose is fine, Tara, because you will get good data either way. If she is little high and flat, then you can give 0.5 on that preshot next time. If she drops but has a little room to drop lower, then try a fat 0.25 next time. If it gives her a lovely nadir, then you know it's a good dose next time you get a number in that range.

Just keep muttering to yourself - "gathering data, gathering data"

TempestsMum likes this.
  42. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

:) my syringes aren't here yet to let me give the smaller doses so have to eyeball it, filling the syringe to .50u and then squeezing half of it out. Hoping tomorrow! They are being delivered to my work as always someone there and will get a message to go pick them up. I can't wait until I have more precise dosage control.

I'm going to test at +3 tonight and see what I get and hopefully get her nadir tonight too! I'd love a nadir reading tomorrow daytime as can't get time during my lunch break to do a bg.
    Haha the data is really my priority right now!

What's a fat 0.25?

Marlena likes this.
  43. Sue and Oliver (GA)

YourU100s will let you be more precise but without them, some people shoot fat and skinny doses. To do a fat dose, pull up more than the dose (like pull up 0.5 and let out enough so you have a little more than 0.25 to shoot a fat 0.25). To do a skinny dose, pull up 0.25 and let out a drop. Very imprecise, but sometimes helpful.

You'll love being able to shoot 0.1/0.2/0.4 doses.

TempestsMum, Marlena and Ruby&Baco like this.
  44. Marlena

I'm reading but it's late (I can't sleep due to stress) so I can't be of any help right now, really sorry.
    Tomorrow - very busy, that's life.
    I know Tara how you feel. If you have a lot of stress in your life at the moment and you also have to do this very difficult journey of FD - it is very hard.
    I've been there.
    I'll be for you as much as I can.
    Sending hugs and healing vines.
    Marlena:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ruby&Baco and TempestsMum like this.
  45. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Rough night.. Didn't manage to get a single test because Tempest would not let me near her. Tried everything - playing with toys, food, etc - been up all night with her and dozed inbeteeen checking her and trying to test.

Managed it this morning only because I held her and I didn't want to go down that route. Going to post for help on the main health forums.

This Morning she's @272 so giving 0.25 again. This is the first yellow number I've seen for a few days. Praying I can get a test today at +3 just to see what's going on.

Marlena likes this.
  46. Marlena

This is excellent!
    If you reduce the dose and you are getting lower numbers that probably means that for now smaller dose is better. Well done.
    Poor you Tara, you must be so tired! If on the 0.25 units you don't get nadir which is very low that's a more safe situation and you can sleep. Hold the dose for now and see what numbers you will get today.
    Breath.
    Sorry if I'm not saying much more but I'm very tired and very busy on top of that but I'll be checking on your situation as much as I can.
    You are doing a really good job!:):):)

47. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ahh these needles are u40 as well but marked in small increments
    https://www.vetuk.co.uk/insulin-syr...nsulin-syringe-with-needle-box-of-100-p-11335

Im really looking forward to getting them. Not something I ever thought I would say about syringes lol

hi Marlena I hope you got some sleep and your stress is a little better this morning! :bighug: :bighug: Thank you I appreciate it, at my lowest point today (probably due to the lack of sleep) anyway getting a cup of tea and being gentle with myself for a few hours before it starts again.

Marlena likes this.
  48. Marlena

Tara, darling, I really know how you feel.
    I hope it helps.
    I promise you things will get better soon.
    Take as much rest as you can. Tempest loves you and knows you are saving his life!
    Hugs:bighug::cat::bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  49. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

OH my goodness! 2 yellows!!! This morning and +3.5 (can't figure out how to add the @3.5 and get it coloured in on the ss) Please please please.... Let it keep going this way.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  50. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Nice numbers! To color the 3.5 box, go to the top of the SS, click on the paint can, then on fill color and chose your color

TempestsMum likes this.
  51. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I will try that now thank you Sharon. :)

52. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

239@+6 still yellow! *does a happy dance* Slightly up so guessing her nadir might be at +5

My syringes have arrived so going to go collect them in a bit.

53. Marlena

Tara, this is looking good!
    Lets see what BG we get PM.:)

TempestsMum likes this.
  54. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Just done it 16.7 or 301 :) I'm going with the 0.25 again I think - she's just eating her dinner then I will shoot

Just to add that as she's only a couple of points out of yellow I felt the 0.25 was the right call?

Marlena likes this.
  55. Marlena

I think it is a sensible option, specially at night time.
    You can sleep tonight I think.
    If you keep this dose for few cycles and you don't see low nadirs than you can think of increasing the dose.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Good night Tara and Tempest.:kiss:

TempestsMum likes this.
  56. Ruby&Baco

Tara i'm so happy for you that the numbers are yellow today! They really seem very nice.
    And if you feel stressed about the situation, please just let it out on your thread ;) we all know the feeling,, we understand!

Marlena and TempestsMum like this.
  57. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Indeed lol if she still in the yellows tonight and the morning amps looks good I might do a fat 0.25 like @Sue and Oliver (GA) suggested?

Thank you Marlena :bighug: hope things are settling down for you too.

Marlena likes this.
  58. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ruby thank you for your help and support. I've done more whining and crying the last week and been so up and down I feel like a roller coaster lol today was a good day after the horrible horrible start this morning and last night .... I feel positive just now so I think one day at a time from now on is just how it's going to be with me. :bighug:

Sharon14 and Ruby&Baco like this.
  59. Ruby&Baco

We all know that feeling but it's okay, that's why we all come here to get support and in moments of 'weakness' we've got eachother! You can cry all you want Tara, we aren't surprised or judge you because we've all been at that point sometime, especially in the beginning.
    And Tara, there will be more times that you seem frustrated or you just want to cry your eyes out, but there are also beautiful moments like these that you get enough energy again to think 'Well hey, that's a good day for Tempest and me!' You know what I mean? It will all come together at one point.
    In the mean time, enjoy the sugar dance (althought that's a little bit weird to say) but you will notice that your bond with Tempest will get even stronger because you work together.
    My kitty Baco wasn't hard too test or give insulin but the cutest part was when she still was on insulin she (after 2 or 3 weeks of being in this sugar dance) would wake me up, 20 minutes before my alarm would go off because she wanted to have her shot of insulin. They learn that that syringe helps them feel better so that's why your bond will be even stronger with your kitty. Baco would really wake me up and sit there perfectly untill I would grab her test kit and she was like 'yes test me mommy and after that I already know the routine, I will get my foodyyyyyyyyyy yeahhh and then that sweet little drug that gets my numbers down' it was so cute... I know it sounds weird but I sometimes miss that......:rolleyes:

TempestsMum likes this.
  60. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

@+3.5 we are in the yellow again! Slowly down.
    Okay so not as dramatic but at least I'm seeing something other than bouncing which to me should help me help you guys give me some input to find a good dose for her. :)

I am still having problems with the ss @Sharon14 sorry I'm really stupid when it comes to tech... So got the first bit right that you told me but it's just coming up 'values' in the us one? How do I change that? So sorry...

Marlena likes this.
  61. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I am technologically challenged too:confused:, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

Marlena and TempestsMum like this.
  62. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Lol! Not to worry maybe someone will see this and come to my aid. :smuggrin:

Sharon14 likes this.
  63. Tuxedo Mom

When you add anything other than just a number on the world tab you have to go to the US tab and enter the information there manually. The US tab does not recognize things like "@" Then you would have to enter the fill colour using the little paint can icon in the bar at the top.

Hope that makes sense

Sharon14 and TempestsMum like this.
  64. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

It does thanks :rolleyes: I'm as thick as mud sometimes lol

65. Tuxedo Mom

The only reason I know that is because I use the world tab...had me scratching my head the first few times I did something other than a number in the box. I thought I had broken something :eek:

66. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Lol yep that was me pretty much! :smuggrin: It worked! Yay!

Sharon14 and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  67. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Going to jinx myself now haha.. I think she will hit blue at +5 or +6 tonight tempted to stay up and find out.

68. Tuxedo Mom

She might..but it doesn't look like she is going to do a fast drop...although you never know :rolleyes:

If you stay up she won't hit blue, if you go to sleep then she will.

TempestsMum likes this.
  69. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I will leave it in gods hands then lol I will set my alarm for +6 and if I can get the bg then I can and if I can't then I can't. :cat: Time to get a couple of hours snoozing. ZzzZzzzz x

Sharon14 and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  70. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

261 Lol oh well.. There's always tomorrow :rolleyes:

Sharon14 likes this.
  71. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It's nice you have had very little drama lately and maybe gotten some sleep. Maybe in another cycle - when you can monitor -try that fat 0.25?

TempestsMum likes this.
  72. Marlena

Oh gosh, same here!

73. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Oh boy! Totally slept in by an hour.. Just got her tested and she's at just over 250 so now not really sure what to give her.

74. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok so gave another 0.25 hope that's the right thing to do.... Bit concerned about it but am here today so will check her +3 or earlier if I'm worried.
    So I'm an hour and and 45 minutes late this morning giving her her insulin.. :(
    What do I do about tonight at her usual shot time 8pm? And I'm working tomorrow so the best I could do would be 8.30 instead of 8am.

75. Tuxedo Mom

Since Prozinc is an "in and out" insulin as long as Tempest's numbers are rising by the usual shot time you can give it at your normal time. If the numbers are low or if you are not sure if she is rising, then wait 20 minutes without feeding and retest. If you are unsure post back on here.

TempestsMum likes this.
  76. Ruby&Baco

Hi Tara, no you don't give insulin at 8PM but you can give the insulin a little bit earlier, so you were 1.45hour late right? You can reduce the time with 30 minutes max earlier, so please give Tempest the shot at 9:15PM. Than tomorrow morning you will give the shot 8:45PM, and then in the evening you can give it at 8PM again (those 15 minutes won't be a bother)
    If you have more data on Tempest and you know what the numbers are doing at almost preshot time you can delay or give an early shot around 1 hour. You can play with it.

TempestsMum likes this.
  77. Tuxedo Mom

Ruby with Prozinc it is not as important to keep the 12/12 shot times, since Prozinc is an in and out insulin. As long as Tempest is rising the shot can be done at the regular time.

TempestsMum likes this.
  78. Ruby&Baco

I know but because she's new I didn't want to pressure to test 2 times just to make sure the numbers are rising...

TempestsMum and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  79. Tuxedo Mom

OK Thanks for explaining Ruby. If it is important to get back on schedule Prozinc is a lot more flexible than Lantus or Levemir. ;)

80. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you ladies! :bighug:

@Ruby This is why I wanted this particular insulin because things like this occasionally happen due to my own health issues - especially when I'm not on my regular sleep schedule (what sleep schedule! :coffee:) . Lol! So a bit of flexibility really helps me out.

Ok think I've got it - if I'm late still give (providing it's not close to the next shot I.e within 2 hours or when she should have eg 8am - 10am) I can reduce the time by no more than 30 minutes to get back on schedule. :)

So can I give at 9.15pm tonight and then 8.40am in the morning as have to leave for work at 8.30 but can be 10 minutes late without much bother?

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  81. Tuxedo Mom

If it is important to get the times back to the schedule you need you can do shots earlier than 30 minutes. With the depot insulins it is advised to only do a 30 minute change because there is some carryover with them. As long as you know that Tempest's numbers are rising you can give Tempest her shot even earlier than a 30 minute change,

82. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

8am - 8.30am is a good time esp if I'm working so it's a good schedule for me :)

+3 and we are blue!! *celebrates* :cat:

Ruby&Baco, Sharon14 and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  83. Tuxedo Mom

Looking good. Did you shoot 1/4 unit this morning. There is no dose on your spreadsheet. You could also notate in the comments about how late you were shooting.

When it gets close to the evening shot, with trying to get back to your regular schedule, you could test and post the number to see how much earlier you could shoot...as long as the number is rising.

TempestsMum likes this.
  84. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

@Tuxedo Mom Oops! just filled that in it was 0.25u this morning and added note about being late.
    I will get a +5 or 6 today then 2 hours before 8pm and then the pmps one that should let me know what's going on I hope. It's nice to be home today to watch her.
    :)

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  85. Tuxedo Mom

Sounds good. With the extra test before the evening shot you can tell if she is on the rise and get some advice on how much earlier you could shoot if she is.

86. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

We are running about the same as yesterday, so rising slowly now. @234.
    I think because I'm working tomorrow if her numbers are the same in the evening/ morning today and tomorrow I will give 0.25 again then try a fat 0.25 tomorrow night (Friday) as off at the weekend.

Marlena and Ruby&Baco like this.
  87. Ruby&Baco

Nice blue number peeking on the SS! :woot:

Well like Tuxedo Mom said, you can give the shot at the regular time but you need to make sure the numbers are rising. So if you want to give insulin at 8:00PM today, please test Tempest at 7:00PM and then again at 7:30PM if the numbers are both rising then you can give the insulin, if not than you need to stall the insulin.

TempestsMum likes this.
  88. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I will definitely be testing but I will leave the shot until 8.45 probably because I'd rather reduce the time by increments but mostly if she doesn't eat regularly she gets sick. So it means I can give her a snack 2 hours before the shot and she will eat her dinner before I give her the shot.

She certainly like to surf on top of the blues! Lol I'm using freestyle lite strips at the minute so I know that they are not quite as accurate but not by much!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  89. Ruby&Baco

Okay sounds good Tara!
    Hopefully Tempest will keep that surfboard near her to surf on to those nice blue waves ;)

TempestsMum likes this.
  90. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I hope so too, would like to see more blues but happy with blue and yellow atm! :) might even get a whole nights sleep tonight - bliss.. :smuggrin:

image.jpeg

Sharon14 and Ruby&Baco like this.
  91. Ruby&Baco

Wow how great would that be to sleep the whole night Tara? :cat:

92. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Haha I think I could sleep for a couple of weeks straight.. o_O

Ok so definitely going up @+8 think she will be in the pink later.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  93. Ruby&Baco

Yes but she did surf a little today!

TempestsMum likes this.
  94. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Very happy about that too! :)

Will do a test at pmps and see if I'm good to go at 8.45 :)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  95. Ruby&Baco

Well that should be fine, don't forget to test 2 times 20 to 30 minutes apart to make sure the numbers are rising instead of dropping!

96. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

After I give the shot?

97. Marlena

Tara, looking good!
    Very good progress, well done.

TempestsMum likes this.
  98. Ruby&Baco

No no, before the shot!
    So test around 8:00PM and test around 8:20-8:30PM to be sure those 2 numbers are rising so you can give the shot at 8:45PM. If it's not rising than you stall the insulin (and food) so the food doesn't have influence on the numbers.

99. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok think I'm not understanding something...as her numbers have been steadily rising over the day are they likely to drop now?

100. Marlena

No, I don't think they will drop now.
    I think that as long as kitty is eating and has yellow preshot you should be OK. You could check 2 - 3 hours after that evening shot before going to bed. If the numbers are not dropping too early it means that the onset of insulin is not taking place as yet so it should be safe. I've done that a lot with Rocky when I was worried that the dose is too high.

TempestsMum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.