Getting old sucks.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheetah78, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheetah78

Cheetah78 New Member

Hello. My sweet 16 yo kitten Vader was diagnosed on 8/5/18 and I am crushed. Sad. Scared. Confused. Overwhelmed. I am glad I found this site, but I am still overwhelmed. I've transitioned her over to all canned, low carb diet. She is not happy - always hungry. I am trying to locate an insulin source. My vet recommended I research three- Human Glargine, Detemir, and last choice, Veterinary Prozinc. All of these drugs are so expensive like almost $400 for the Glargine. I've been calling all over town and Googling pharmacies. I love my kids - Vader, Milhaus (almost 17) and Girdwood the dog who is 7. They are my whole world. Milhaus also has terminal kidney disease, diagnosed in March. I am officially a kitty nursing home. :cat: :cat:
    So thanks for letting me join. And for helping me navigate this new world.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Yes it’s overwhelming, but we can help you figure it out. Glargine (Lantus) is an excellent insulin and, yes, very expensive in the US. That’s why many of us order from Canada. This is the pharmacy we use https://rxcanada4less.com/
    You can also find some good deals in the supply forum on this site. Come over to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about Vader. Hope to see you there!

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! My vote is for Levemir (Detemir). Here is a thread you may find interesting: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/why-is-lantus-so-much-more-popular-than-levemir.195958/

It works out cheaper to get a box of five pens. A vial has 1000 units. Once you open it, it will only be good for maybe four months.. maybe a bit longer. A pen has only 300 units. So, a much more reasonable amount of insulin to use up (or get close to using up) during the time it is still good. When one has not yet been opened, it lasts much longer.. until the expiration date on it which can be a couple of years out. So, you will get a lot more usable insulin in the five box of pens (total of 1500 units) than you would from a vial. It is more expensive on the front end but cheaper over time.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! We are here for you. It is definitly overwhelming in the beginning... I promise it gets easier.

5. Cheetah78

Cheetah78 New Member

Thank you all so much. I did see that link for the Canada site earlier and have already spoken to them. And my vet about it. We are on our way to the 5 pens of Levemir. Still expensive, but I am so grateful for this site.

JanetNJ, Sharon14 and FurBabiesMama like this.
  6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be. Most of us were overwhelmed and befuddled at diagnosis, but with education, practice, advice and support you will find here, it will become just one more facet of your life. Look around the board, there is so much information to read and educate yourself. Most important, if you are going to be giving insulin you should also be home testing. Testing lets you know if it's safe to inject and can help prevent hypoglycemia, which is dangerous. Here is a link to information on home testing
    Feline FAQs is a good place to start reading: FAQs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.